Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #31
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Blake Griffin goes off after a flagrant foul

OK, is it me or was that not even close to a flagrant foul?

First guy goes for ball and misses, and gets Griffin in face. Griffin overreacts and sends HIMSELF to the floor. Because Griffin flops to the floor, Battie trips over him and actually tries to avoid Griffin and prevent Griffin from getting hurt.

Yet Griffin goes ape sh-t. That wasn't even a flagrant. Foul on the accidental face slap and that's it.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #32
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Tell Blake to develop a better low post game and jumper. He wont have to worry too much about hard fouls. Flagrant? Meh, in this era a flagrant foul can be a hard foul. Unless you feel todays game is fine then you'll call it flagrant. But I dont want to see you complain about the league being too soft, questioning the foul calls and such.

If Blake is tearing up at how he is defended today? He couldnt cut it back then. The price you pay for attacking the rim the way he does. A defender can either allow it and let fans go ape sh!ts over the dunk. Or a defender can stop it. I'll take the defender stopping it. And dont feed me he is hit too hard. Blake is among the most explosive players in the game. He's also built like a shyt house. So dont dare feed me how you can foul him without it being hard or "dirty" (what qualifies dirty to you?). Plenty of times a player of Blake Griffins caliber finishes a play even while a defender fouls him.

Jrue Holiday gets beat up attacking the rim and no call. I'm told he has to pay his dues. So maybe Blake needs to photo copy that memo and paste it in his locker? Just because you won the dunk contest doesnt mean you get special calls and treatment.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #33
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
OK, is it me or was that not even close to a flagrant foul?

First guy goes for ball and misses, and gets Griffin in face. Griffin overreacts and sends HIMSELF to the floor. Because Griffin flops to the floor, Battie trips over him and actually tries to avoid Griffin and prevent Griffin from getting hurt.

Yet Griffin goes ape sh-t. That wasn't even a flagrant. Foul on the accidental face slap and that's it.

Same thing I said. Battie wasnt even trying to harm Blake. He was holding him to lessen Griffin fall to the floor. Event tho its Griffin who sent himself to the floor not Meeks or Battie. But hey he has pent up anger from being fouled hard and played agressively. He enjoys just dunking all over people and giving us highlights. He's naive to think other players wouldnt attempt to put a stop to it.

Even Elton Brand foul on him wasnt much to cry about. Hard foul that prevented Blake from going up strong and finishing. Go to the line Blake. Oh you're 8-15. No wonder you're mad, no easy buckets for you.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #34
asdf1990
College star

asdf1990 has no real reputation yet.

blake should prepare himself. when he eventually makes the playoffs his gonna get fouled like that quite often.
asdf1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #35
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

Griffin would be ashamed at his conduct when he see the replay.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #36
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I do not believe this is Blake Griffin responding to an isolated incident. As other posters have mentioned, he has been previously taken out likely around 6-7 different times this year in a dirty fashion. Therefore, his terror alert level is: Red. If there was not an ongoing threat against Mr. Griffin, I'm not thinking he would have responded the way he did last night. However, due to previous circumstances, I cannot particularly blame him for assuming the worst on what appeared to be an accidental play.

If I could change one thing, it'd be that he seemed to react this way to a relatively not-too-dirty call. I feel to protect himself from real injury (street cred. and keeping it real aside) Griffin does need to respond in a fashion that may give off the idea that he's really, really not okay with being taken out. From a fan's perspective, the last thing I want is to see high flyers being discouraged from flying because there's the threat of serious injury. I do not find that to be an acceptable form of basketball, coming from a Bad Boys guy. I do not wish for a return to the 1950's when players were supposedly submarined any time they tried to slam.

Best post in this thread and one of the best posters on ISH. Well done. People saying he overreacted or needs to get over it... or is a KG "wannabe tough guy" have no clue what Griffin has endured all season. Like you said Dwight gets his hard fouls banging in the post. Blake get's all his hard fouls/flagrants while airborne or when he's about to take off for a dunk. BIG BIG BIG BIG difference here guys. One might leave you with a scratch on the face or a bloody nose.. while the other may end your career.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #37
Ol Dirty Bastard
Local High School Star

Ol Dirty Bastard has not been impressing people

This is the 2nd incident where Blake over reacts to some hard foul and I don't blame him but the replays always show that there was never any intended harm from the opposing player.

But I agree, Blake is always being attacked and one day will snap
Ol Dirty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #38
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Dirty Bastard
This is the 2nd incident where Blake over reacts to some hard foul and I don't blame him but the replays always show that there was never any intended harm from the opposing player.

But I agree, Blake is always being attacked and one day will snap

For sure. This particular one was nothing. Even Ralph Lawler said "This one isn't nearly as bad as all the other ones he's received but he's had enough". Also.. even in this game it was building. He received a couple hard fouls that were non calls when he attacked the rim. Can't forget the Sixers also gave him a couple hard fouls including a flagrant last time the Clips played them too.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #39
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Styles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Best post in this thread and one of the best posters on ISH. Well done. People saying he overreacted or needs to get over it... or is a KG "wannabe tough guy" have no clue what Griffin has endured all season. Like you said Dwight gets his hard fouls banging in the post. Blake get's all his hard fouls/flagrants while airborne or when he's about to take off for a dunk. BIG BIG BIG BIG difference here guys. One might leave you with a scratch on the face or a bloody nose.. while the other may end your career.

what don't you understand that if you try to dunk hard you fall hard? even the elton brand foul elton jumped straight up griffins momentum just makes it worse. maybe he should stop trying to make sports center top 10 plays of the day on every dunk. if i was a vet in this league i would not be a victim to blakes poster. and the whole hes gonna snap and hurt someone please everyone in the league hard fouling him are also big guys that i doubt are scared of him.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #40
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles p
what don't you understand that if you try to dunk hard you fall hard? even the elton brand foul elton jumped straight up griffins momentum just makes it worse. maybe he should stop trying to make sports center top 10 plays of the day on every dunk. if i was a vet in this league i would not be a victim to blakes poster. and the whole hes gonna snap and hurt someone please everyone in the league hard fouling him are also big guys that i doubt are scared of him.

Why should he stop dunking or playing his game though? When were players allowed to tackle players going for dunks? If you want to clothesline people taking off for dunks and all that shit play in the NFL. I understand Blake's going to fall hard when he gets hit.... but how about playing a little defense? Maybe going for a blocked shot... or even just wrapping him up like they do with Lebron? I have seen maybe 1 player wrap Blake up in a safe way. No need for all the types of hits he's taking. It's easy for you to say... but if Blake Griffin was a Sixer.. and a rookie star who has a bright future as your franchise player you wouldn't be annoyed or worried about this?

I can't think of another rookie who's taken so many hard and flagrant fouls. Even Shaq didn't get butchered like this. Sure he received hard fouls.. but how many people tackled him, clotheslined him, grabbed his head... pulled him to the floor by his arm while airborne etc.

You said it has to do with being a vet and all that seniority crap... so you're assuming it's going to stop by next season? If he doesn't do something about it .. it's going to happen for years. Try to see this from a Clipper fan perspective. This is our prized once in a decade rookie... and his career is at risk every time someone hits him when he's airborne or about to take off. You can't relate because you've never had a rookie this good. As for players being scared of him... all it takes is him punching one dude in the face and it stops. Dwight and Malone learned to throw elbows... Shaq swung on a couple dudes... Every star bigman has to establish that they won't tolerate it. Blake seems like a nice guy who takes all kinds of abuse and just will go psycho. Not saying that's a good thing but it's how it is. Give it a couple seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJKGK3kw1nM

Watch this short clip. Blake talks about these flagrant fouls. Blake isn't trying to show people up with these dunks.. he's just playing his game.

Last edited by Clippersfan86 : 03-17-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #41
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Styles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
When were players allowed to tackle players going for dunks?
seriously tackled though?

Quote:
It's easy for you to say... but if Blake Griffin was a Sixer.. and a rookie star who has a bright future as your franchise player you wouldn't be annoyed or worried about this?

yes i would be alittle annoyed but i would also understand, you dont need to dunk on someone every play. save the rim rattling dunks for fast breaks. not in traffic and expect not to be fouled. his constant complaining to the refs is also annoying.

Quote:
You said it has to do with being a vet and all that seniority crap... so you're assuming it's going to stop by next season?
why would i assume that? sophomores are vets now?

Quote:
You can't relate because you've never had a rookie this good.
i guess you have never heard of allen iverson
Old 03-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #42
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
seriously tackled though?

yes i would be alittle annoyed but i would also understand, you dont need to dunk on someone every play. save the rim rattling dunks for fast breaks. not in traffic and expect not to be fouled. his constant complaining to the refs is also annoying.

why would i assume that? sophomores are vets now?

i guess you have never heard of allen iverson

Iverson was a great player but don't be fooled. Blake is in Shaq, David Robinson, Michael Jordan category of rookies in terms of efficiency and stats. Wanna know something interesting? Blake Griffin is the first rookie since Iverson to have multiple 40 point games as a rookie. He did it in half the number of shots.. AND from the PF position though .

As for my tackle comment.. I'm not talking about this Battie foul. I already said this was very mild and not a flagrant. I was talking about the clotheslines and tackles he has received previously. Even this foul wasn't a basketball play though. Why couldn't Battie swat at the ball? He could of easily reached it. It's like defenders get told by coaches that when Blake goes to the rim.. don't even play defense.. just deliver a hard foul. Name another player who gets this kind of defense? Dwight he's hacked.. but he also doesn't get hit like this.

Last edited by Clippersfan86 : 03-17-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #43
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Iverson was a great player but don't be fooled. Blake is in Shaq, David Robinson, Michael Jordan category of rookies in terms of efficiency and stats. Iverson isn't close. Wanna know something interesting? Blake Griffin is the first rookie since Iverson to have multiple 40 point games as a rookie. He did it in half the number of shots.. AND from the PF position though .

As for my tackle comment.. I'm not talking about this Battie foul. I already said this was very mild and not a flagrant. I was talking about the clotheslines and tackles he has received previously. Even this foul wasn't a basketball play though. Why couldn't Battie swat at the ball? He could of easily reached it. It's like defenders get told by coaches that when Blake goes to the rim.. don't even play defense.. just deliver a hard foul. Name another player who gets this kind of defense? Dwight he's hacked.. but he also doesn't get hit like this.

dwight also goes up and down on dunks not running full speed jumping 8 feet away from the basket. anyway im done here i believe the game should be played that way and apparently the other coaches feel the same way nothing said in here is gonna change anything. i guess hes gonna have to fight someone he better win it or hes just gonna get treated the same way
Old 03-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #44
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
dwight also goes up and down on dunks not running full speed jumping 8 feet away from the basket. anyway im done here i believe the game should be played that way and apparently the other coaches feel the same way nothing said in here is gonna change anything. i guess hes gonna have to fight someone he better win it or hes just gonna get treated the same way

Lol. I understand you being done debating this but answer this question and ponder it.

What you're suggesting as well as the defenders is... that Blake shouldn't dunk anymore or expect to be fouled hard. What gives them the right to decide if a player should dunk? I understand if Blake was trying 360's and windmills and stuff but don't be fooled he's NOT a showboat. He's not trying to embarrass people. He's just dunking the ball hard.

So my question is this. You honestly think it's fair for other players to decide how he's going to finish a fastbreak? If you lay it up.. we won't clothesline you. If you go for a dunk we will! When has that ever been the case? Hard fouls are normally reserved for a guy who's constantly destroying you at the rim or is trying to showboat on your team. Blake isn't styling on anyone during these fouls..

It's Blake's fault though. Until he throws a punch.. or starts throwing elbows like Dwight and Malone... nobody is going to back off. I want him to start retaliating. Who cares about his reputation.. I care more about his long term health. I'd rather him be an asshole and start hitting people. Start flagrantly fouling the same guys doing it to him. I would be cheering as loud as I can. Blake is an incredibly strong kid.. and I can already seeing him getting a 50 game suspension or something from tackling someone and injuring them.

It reminds me of Shaq. How you could beat on him all game long.. and abuse him.. but if he retaliated.. the whole world was upset or worried.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #45
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
This is just a sample of the future. I truly believe he's going to hurt someone when he snaps all the way. After the game he said he's sick of refs letting other players hit him in the face and take him down like this all the time and it boiled over a little bit. I feel bad for the player that sends him over the edge all the way in the future.

Blake Griffin leads the league in flagrant fouls received with 8. Meaning players are trying to deliver these kind of fouls pretty regularly. This one wasn't too bad... but earlier in game there were a couple non calls of Sixers players roughing him up and in the game in Philly Blake got flagrantly fouled by Elton Brand so it was built up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBci5KKNC0
uhm, what? How was his reaction bad at all? get over it
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: