Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan

TMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Last Minute Deadline Deal IDEA: Marcus Camby to the Spurs?

Personally I feel like this is a deal that should have taken place a while ago when he was with Denver, but Camby has sincce bounced around and ended up in Portland. Portland however is looking to get rid of Marcus Camby and Andre Miller's contracts before the upcoming trade deadline tomorrow.

The Spurs have the best record in the West and stand 6 games ahead of the 2nd place Mavericks. I know they don't want to create chemistry problems at this point, considering their unlikely fast start, and Marcus Camby does have a heavy 2 year 11 million dollar contract which the Spurs aren't trying to put on their tab at this point. Not to mention the Spurs might not be willing to give up the essential pieces to land Camby. But Camby provides the inside shot blocking big man presence that the Spurs have needed for quite some time. The frontline of Duncan, Blair, McDyess, Bonner and Splitter occasionally is great at times but there is question of how they will fair against the Mavericks or Lakers big men in a potential playoff matchup. Some might say that Camby might be adding just another "old player" to the group, but Camby's skills would technically only be needed this year for what may be a final championship run for the San Antonio Big 3.

While unlikely, if Portland doesn't find a suitor for the veteran shot blocker by tomorrow's deadline a buyout may be an option. In this case this presents a more likely opportunity for the Spurs to snag him when he clears waivers.

Can Marcus Camby land on the Spurs somehow? Would this move help their potential championship run?
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Last Minute Deadline Deal IDEA: Marcus Camby to the Spurs?

SA tried to get Camby last year, and failed when he was with the Clips, and Portland is more difficult to deal with. I don't see how they can come up with 8 million to trade to Portland, they don't want Jefferson.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
GabeIsGone
Decent playground baller

GabeIsGone has decent reputation

Bonner+Splitter or Anderson+1st

A good role player having a career year, young talent, and a pick. Add in a scrub or two if salaries need to match.
GabeIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
tx_dave
I brick open layups

tx_dave has an OK reputation so far

I got SUPER excited when I mis-read this thread

but yes, I would LOVE to see a true servicable big man come and take up some mins away from blair when we play LA/DAL. Splitter just ain't cutting it at this point

Make this happen and then sign shane battier in the off-season
tx_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Droid101
5-time NBA All-Star

Droid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm pretty sure McDyess does everything Camby would bring to the table.

Bonner is shooting something like 50% from three and you want to trade him away so you can have two McDyess's?
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeIsGone
Bonner+Splitter or Anderson+1st

A good role player having a career year, young talent, and a pick. Add in a scrub or two if salaries need to match.

Portland needs to agree also.

Im sure if SA had an expirer + either Splitter or Anderson and a pick would do, but Bonner has 3 yrs on his deal.

Camby is good, if he can stay healthy, and thats a big if.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
az00m
bet purple 3/05/11

az00m has decent reputationaz00m has decent reputation

dont fix what isnt broken.
az00m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan

TMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101

Bonner is shooting something like 50% from three and you want to trade him away so you can have two McDyess's?
Camby would provide us with a legit 6'11-7'0 center next to Duncan who can block shots. Camby is also a more consistent rebounder and would just solidify the offense as long as he could stay healthy in my opinion. McDyess has solid spurts, and no doubt we need him in the playoffs to guard Dirk and come up with those hustle plays. While Bonner is shooting great numbers from three he does cause a defensive lapse inside especially when playing in the frontcourt along with anyone but Duncan. Not to mention Bonner hasn't really shown up in the playoffs much for the Spurs. There are no guarantees his hot hand will reach the playoffs. I wouldn't compare Camby to McDyess at all. McDyess is a mid-range shooting power forward who is a solid rebounder and man defender. Camby is more of a big man in the middle who can anchor a defense, block shots, and pose a threat in the lane. Camby along with Duncan would be a solid combination in the playoffs.
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
ashbelly
NBA sixth man of the year

ashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this boardashbelly has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101

Camby averages 11 rebounds per game. This would put Spurs over the top. especially with the 3 pointers they shoot. Their Second chance points will go up, also his shot blocking will shore in the defense. Lastly, everybody says Camby knows most of opposing teams plays, Popovich would have a field day with this. Mcdyess can move to the PF position and concentrate more on scoring, because his jumpshot is still good.

Last edited by ashbelly : 02-23-2011 at 05:46 PM.
ashbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
GabeIsGone
Decent playground baller

GabeIsGone has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
Portland needs to agree also.

Im sure if SA had an expirer + either Splitter or Anderson and a pick would do, but Bonner has 3 yrs on his deal.

Camby is good, if he can stay healthy, and thats a big if.
Its not like Bonner's a bad player, hes under 30 shooting career %'s. His contract is only like 4 mil i think.

Hell I'd call him the best shooting big in the league.

Unfortunately he disappears in the playoffs.
GabeIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

spurs win the title this year if that went down, they have been a marcus camby away from winning most of the last few titles, ever since duncan moved over to centre really....
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
tx_dave
I brick open layups

tx_dave has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeIsGone
Its not like Bonner's a bad player, hes under 30 shooting career %'s. His contract is only like 4 mil i think.

Hell I'd call him the best shooting big in the league.

Unfortunately he disappears in the playoffs.

I'm high on bonner too but best shooting big?
Dirk says hi

I think his defense has improved as of late which is a plus but like you said, it's all about whether he can carry this in the play-offs. We need him to stretch the floor
tx_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think it is important to note that the Blazers aren't trying to "get rid of" Camby's contract, but rather "cash in" on him. Meaning we are hoping to get something of value in return, not just clear the books.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Keep dreaming. We want a good player back for him, and Paul Allen couldn't care less about the money.

If Camby did go anywhere I'd like it to be SA. I'd love to see that team in the playoffs. They just don't have anything to offer us.

Their picks aren't worthy anything, and their old vets aren't worth anything to a team trying to get younger.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: