Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 06-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #496
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Jerry Sloan steps down, leaves Utah Jazz! Era is over!

Jerry Sloan is back with the Utah Jazz.

The Hall of Fame coach has been hired in a front-office position by the team he led to two NBA Finals and coached for 23 years.

The 71-year-old Sloan will take on a role of senior basketball adviser, mostly helping out with scouting on the professional and college ranks, among other duties.

“In my new role with the Jazz franchise, I hope to help the basketball operations staff and Ty (Corbin) in any way that I can to achieve their goals,” Sloan said in a statement released by the team's PR staff. “I would like to thank the Miller family for the opportunity to be part of the organization again.”

Sloan has been with the Jazz coaches and front staff on a daily basis for the past month while the team has prepared for the June 27 NBA Draft and the upcoming free-agency period. He also attended the Chicago NBA Draft Combine at the Jazz's invitation in May.

This is the second big reunion for the Jazz this offseason. Although Utah lost assistant coach Jeff Hornacek to Phoenix, the Jazz recently hired Hall of Fame power forward Karl Malone on a part-time basis to help tutor the team's big men.

Could John Stockton be the next one to return to the fold?

"John is a great friend of the organization and is part of the Jazz family, and always will be," Jazz president Randy Rigby said in a phone interview with the Deseret News. With a chuckle, he added, "There have been no discussions ... yet."

Sloan told the Deseret News two weeks ago that he'd been contacted about returning to the Jazz, but he wasn't sure what the specific role would be.

"I'd hate to be in anybody's way," he said at the time, very aware of the precarious situation he'd be in by returning with his replacement, Tyrone Corbin, in his old position.

Corbin, who played and coached under Sloan in Utah, is happy to welcome his old boss back to the team.

“I am glad Jerry is going to continue to be involved with our organization,” Corbin, who hasn't spoken to the media since his team's locker cleanout on April 18, said in a statement. "We will benefit from his wealth of basketball experience. I am looking forward to his continued contributions."

Sloan has been out of a job since he abruptly and shockingly resigned in Feb. 2011 after multiple locker room run-ins and disagreements with All-Star point guard Deron Williams.

Since then, Sloan has been the subject of numerous coaching rumors. He even told 1280 The Zone on Wednesday that he regretted not pursuing an unspecified head-coaching opportunity.

In his new role with the Jazz — his first non-coaching job since the early 1980s — Sloan will work with the franchise's basketball operations and coaching staffs. As he's been doing, he'll continue to help evaluate players at workouts, camps and summer league along with doing some scouting and practice observation. He'll also occasionally travel with the team during the season.

On top of that, Sloan will also host an annual prep and college coaches clinic.

"We're really excited about having Jerry back in the organization. We view Jerry as a key part of the Jazz family," Rigby said. "He has a remarkable amount of knowledge and expertise in coaching in the NBA and in Jazz basketball, in our style and philosophy."

Rigby added that Sloan will be counsel Corbin, general manager Dennis Lindsey and Kevin O'Connor, the executive vice president of player personnel.

Added Rigby: "To have Jerry Sloan available for Coach Corbin, for Dennis and Kevin ... to help (them) continue to make right decisions and to help build a championship caliber team is extremely valuable."

Rigby said "respectful conversations" with Sloan have been ongoing for quite some time. It was made clear that the organization's old coach didn't want to interfere with Corbin's staff.

"He is extremely respectful of the people we have in place," Rigby said. "I think he wanted to make sure he felt comfortable about what the role would be and we wanted to feel comfortable that the time was right for Jerry.

"We really feel like the time is right now, and we're excited about this."

The Jazz won seven division titles and racked up 13 seasons of 50-plus wins during Sloan's 23-year tenure as head coach from 1988 when he replaced Frank Layden until his resignation 26 months ago. He was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009 with Jazz point guard great John Stockton.

The draft is a week away, but this has been a busy offseason for the Jazz. They've returned two familiar faces to the fold. They've seen Hornacek leave to take a head coaching gig with the Suns. Also earlier this week, the organization announced a $15 million renovation project for EnergySolutions Arena, highlighted by a new 42-foot-wide state-of-the-art video scoreboard.

In the upcoming weeks, they have three draft picks to make — Nos. 14, 21 and 46 — and need to fill a handful of vacant roster spots during the free-agency period, which begins on July 1.

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #497
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Bill Oram: Jerry Sloan on Ty Corbin: “I didn’t think he was treated fairly by the press… I think he deserves better than that.” Twitter @tribjazz

David Locke: Sloan "I thought Tyrone did a terrific job keeping a group together in a tough situation" Twitter @Lockedonsports

Steve Luhm: Sloan says him leaving "enhanced" Jazz program. Speeded process of change. Said "... Deron Williams was going to leave." Twitter @sluhm

Fans have been worse than the media concerning Ty.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #498
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Bill Oram: On why he never took another coaching job, Jerry Sloan says, “I always had the Jazz on my mind.” Wondered if something like this would come Twitter @tribjazz

Pretty obvious. He kept saying he was looking for the right situation. He wasn't going to get another job where he was untouchable.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #499
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Limited. Occasional. Observation.
In other words, he’ll work whenever he wants.
And he’s not tripping to Duluth to scout out the latest prospect.

Will he attend practices?
“If they have ‘em too early, I won’t,” he said. “Gets me out of bed.”
Basically he’ll be Jerry Sloan, resident legend and current Wikicoach, the man with ready answers. He’ll undoubtedly be in charge of all high-end cursing, too.

“I don’t swear anymore,” he deadpanned.
Duly noted.

The hiring is good news for both Sloan and the team. The Jazz can use the help, especially from a proven winner. Also, there’s the public relations component. Two weeks ago the Jazz announced a similar deal with Karl Malone, who will assist the team’s big men.

Exactly how many hours either invests is unclear. But anyone who saw Sloan and Malone in their glory days knows they probably aren’t doing this for laughs.

Those guys take losing as seriously as a warrant.
As a personnel advisor, Sloan’s contribution will be valuable. His was always the most important opinion on player moves, anyway, before Larry H. Miller rubber-stamped the deals. The selection of Deron Williams had Sloan’s fingerprints all over it. He wanted a nasty, tough player and Williams filled the bill.

Should have taken Paul.
Quote:

Now the franchise is trying to connect to its history. A generation of fans is rising that thinks Thurl Bailey is a television commentator, Mark Eaton a restaurateur and Jeff Hornacek a coach.

So Sloan returned looking trim and happy. He was vague on the specifics, but this much seemed obvious: Not only will he advise on matters such as personnel, but also coaching. Corbin is beginning his third full season as the Jazz coach, but only a handful of players remain on contract from last year.

A steadying hand can only help as Corbin revamps his team and struggles to return to contention. The challenges aren’t lost on Sloan, who said Corbin has done a fine job with the transition.

“People expect you to win every time you step on the floor," Sloan said, "but you’ve got to be fair. (Corbin) deserves better than that.”

Even Sloan had his trying years. Amid a five-game losing streak during the 1992-93 season, fans at the Delta Center referenced the firing of Jerry Tarkanian by unfurling a banner that said, “Do like the Spurs — fire Jerry.”
Sloan never forgot the Chicago Bulls axing him midway through his third season.

Jazz fans later rode Sloan about not winning a title. But respect rose after he left the game. Recently he has been informally working with the team on draft prospects. Asked about young players Enes Kanter, Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors, he noted they have “tremendous talent, but they have to do the work.”
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #500
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
The former coach’s primary concern about returning to the organization was that he would step on Corbin’s toes. That won’t be a problem, said the Jazz coach, entering his third full season.

"He can’t hurt my feelings," Corbin said. "I respect everything he has to say, and if I’m screwing up I want him to tell me. ... I expect him to do it and he will."

Can't hurt to get another opinion in there.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #501
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
According to sources close to the program, UTEP assistant coach Greg Foster has reportedly been offered a job by the Philadelphia 76ers, and he has accepted the position. His official title isn't known at this point, but it is apparently a done deal. Miner Rush

another of Jerry's players coaching
Old 12-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #502
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...an.html?pg=all
Old 12-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #503
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Chris Haynes: The Utah Jazz announce they will honor Jerry Sloan on Jan. 31 by raising a banner with his name on it. Twitter @ChrisBHaynes

The Utah Jazz announced tonight that the team will honor legendary former head coach Jerry Sloan in a special halftime ceremony when the Jazz hosts the Golden State Warriors on Friday, January 31, 2014, in a game that will be nationally televised by ESPN. “On behalf of the Jazz organization and Miller Family, I am thrilled to announce our plans to retire a jersey and celebrate the enduring legacy of Jerry Sloan, one of the greatest and most respected coaches in NBA history,” said Steve Miller, President of Miller Sports Properties. “We welcome Jazz fans to join us as we honor Jerry for his accomplishments and recognize his countless contributions to the Jazz franchise and state of Utah.”
Old 02-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #504
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
It could be a long time before a Hall of Fame coach and two Hall of Fame players play again at ESA.

At least until the Spurs come to town again.

Quote:
Beforehand in the interview room, Sloan choked up when speaking of Karl Malone and John Stockton, who flanked him — just as they did in the old days. It was a draining day for the coach who won 1,223 games.

“I thought that was the number of technicals I got,” Sloan deadpanned.

The day began with a luncheon that included former players and colleagues such as Bryon Russell, Mehmet Okur, Howard Eisley, Thurl Bailey and Mark Eaton. Then there was the handwritten letter of congratulations from Barack Obama that applauded his “standard of excellence” and added that Bulls fans such as him still claim Sloan “for your grit and work ethic.”

It’s true. Beneath the hand-woven silk ties, Sloan was usually sweating like a dockworker.

On nights when the Jazz weren’t tough enough, he complained his guys were playing like they were wearing tuxedos.

But on Friday the focus wasn’t on the game for much of the night. Friends and family were given John Deere ball caps at the luncheon, which they tipped in unison to Sloan.

By game time, the crowd was primed. TV analyst Bailey started things off with a smooth rendition of the national anthem. The first tribute video came with 5:56 left in the first quarter, featuring remarks by Clippers coach Doc Rivers and Charles Barkley. That launched the first standing ovation.

In subsequent segments, Jeff Hornacek and former foes Pat Riley, Rick Adelman, Doc Rivers, Shaquille O’Neal, Gregg Popovich, Doug Collins and Lenny Wilkens chimed in.

“There will never be another one like you,” Riley said.

Not everyone can ride a tractor into the Hall of Fame.

The second standing ovation came just before half. O’Neal chimed in by saying to Sloan, “Come back! We need you!”

Then the cameras cut to Stockton, sitting across from the scorer’s table.

People couldn’t have leaped up faster if someone had shouted “Fire!”

A similar reception was accorded Malone, whenever he was shown on the message screen.

As the halftime horn sounded, the chant began: “Jerry! Jerry!”

Sloan dutifully thanked the fans, the Larry H. Miller family and his players, and deflected his own credit.

“It’s been a great day, although we tried to get away from it,” Sloan said.

He thanked everyone he could think of, then pulled the ceremonial rope. A banner rose to where it nestled beside the 10 others in the ESA rafters.

“This man is everything good about basketball,” Collins said in his remarks. “There was not a better man, ever in the NBA, than Jerry Sloan.”

Sloan’s response was brief though heartfelt. But it was obvious he never much cared for applause, at least not when it was directed his way. One season during the playoffs, a luxury sports car was parked in the lower concourse, where media were interviewing him. Someone began teasing him about the expensive car being his.

Sloan’s reply: “I couldn’t even afford the tires.”

I would hope you could at 5 million a year!

Quote:
All his country appeal, as well as his Hall of Fame credentials, were on display on Friday.

“I didn’t think I would make it through the day,” Sloan said before the game.

Said Malone: “Twenty-four-seven, 365, give me a call."

Stockton concurred, adding, “I love you as a coach and as a man.”

Not coincidentally, the Jazz played hard, long a trademark of Sloan teams.

Current coach Tyrone Corbin was up and sweating and pacing from the start, not unlike Sloan did, back in the day.

Which was a good thing. Last thing anyone wanted was to be accused of playing like they were wearing tuxedos.

Email: rock@desnews.com; Twitter: @therockmonster; Blog: Rockmonster Unplugged
Old 02-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #505
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
On the night when the Miller family and Jazz organization raised Hall of Fame coach Jerry Sloan's banner to rafters they were playing against arguably their biggest current rivals, the Golden State Warriors, coached by ex-Jazz player Mark Jackson.
\

Their biggest rivals? I'd say Denver.

Quote:
A big-time shot by Diante Garrett sent the Jazz into halftime up seven and the emotion started pouring into EnergySolutions Arena. Halftime featured former Jazz players from Karl Malone and John Stockton to Howard Eisley and current coach Tyrone Corbin honoring Sloan. The team looked like it was honoring Sloan, but in the end the team couldn't win one for the former coach.

Sloan has a bunch of old reliable quotes that he used when games didn't go in his favor. He always said the Jazz couldn't "jackpot around," "can't play in tuxedos" and "no one is going to feel sorry for us."

Can't jackpot around

This idea is all about effort. Anyone who has listened to Corbin talk after games a common theme in Utah's losses is effort. The Jazz had the Warriors, were on the second night of a back-to-back, on the ropes.

The Jazz weathered the early run and Garrett sparked the Jazz to that big lead at halftime and the Jazz held on to much of that lead into the fourth quarter.

Then in the fourth the Warriors picked up their energy and outscored the Jazz 29-19 in the fourth. The short-handed Jazz were up nine when Rudy Gobert hit a pair of free throws. When Andrew Bogut and Steph Curry returned to the game the Warriors picked up their energy.

Golden State executed its offense at the end of the game, while the Jazz turned the ball over and forced bad shots.

Gordon Hayward and Trey Burke had horrible games. Their poor play might not have been about their energy, but they were certainly jackpotting around.

“Yeah it was pretty awful, especially for me,” Hayward said. “Good thing we have one tomorrow to try and get this out of our memory.”

Hayward turned the ball over eight times and scored eight points. In the entire month of January previous to this game he had 15 total turnovers. He's averaged 2.8 turnovers per game this season and just 1.6 in his career.
Better get rid of him!

Quote:
Burke couldn't stay on the court and fouled out for the first time in his career. His 22 minutes are the fourth-fewest of his career as a starter. While Burke was on the Warriors outscored the Jazz by 29 points.

The Warriors scored 24 points off 19 turnovers.

Can't play in a tuxedo

The difference in this game was offensive rebounds, especially in the fourth quarter. The Jazz had six offensive rebounds in the game, while the Warriors had seven in the last 10 minutes of the game.

It's often said that rebounding is about desire and work. The Jazz needed to get inside scrap, fight and be in position to limit Curry's chances, which they didn't do. Curry got extra shots off turnovers and offensive rebounds to allow him to shoot 26 times and score 44 points.

The seven offensive rebounds lead to six points (the Jazz lost by five points).

The Jazz started playing “hero ball” at the end of the game instead of relying on teammates, setting hard screens and getting good looks. Case in point was Burke taking a 29-foot 3-pointer with 22 seconds left and the Jazz down five.

A hard drive and lay up by the Jazz would have cut the lead to three, maybe get a foul and it goes to two. Then the Jazz can at least extend the game, while it might have been a long shot to make up those points at least the Jazz would have had a shot.

They won't feel sorry for us

Yes, the Jazz were without Derrick Favors and Marvin Williams, and Jeremy Evans was injured early on after a very good first half. Add in an ailing Burke and Richard Jefferson and the Jazz were missing a lot of talent.

Could the Jazz have turned this game around with Favors? Well, his ability to guard the pick-and-roll could have turned the tide. His defensive rebounding ability could have stopped some offensive rebounds in the fourth. While not using newly signed Malcolm Thomas for 11 minutes could have been big.

Kanter and Favors might not have been able to play together against the smaller lineup that the Warriors were using, but Williams would have replaced Evans to guard the smaller Harrison Barnes and create a different matchup. Williams' ability to spread the floor has allowed Burke to play better by allowing him to open up the floor.

“I'm proud of the effort and focus,” Corbin said.

Gobert came in and played an admirable, if not spectacular at times game. He length disrupted the Warriors offense when the attacked, but his offensive deficiencies also hurt the Jazz. He is still young and is working on his game, but the signs were there.

Alec Burks was easily the best player for the Jazz, and that is starting to happen more and more. He scored 26 points on 14 shots. His ability to get to the rim with spectacular finishes makes him deadly with the ball in his hands.

“It was tough, we were down a few players, Derrick, Marvin and Jeremy got hurt, but we fought hard, just they won the game tonight,” Burks said.

Garrett might have been the next best player. His length helped while defending Curry and he was shooting very well. He scored 13 points in his 26 minutes and the Jazz outscored the Warriors by 24 points while he was on the court.

The Warriors were without David Lee and won't feel bad about beating the Jazz who were less than 100 percent. The Jazz had their shot and fell short.

For a while it seemed like the Jazz would get a victory to cap off one of the greatest nights Jazz fans had seen in years. They were in control of a better team for most of the night. It looked like a fairy tale ending for the night, but unfortunately for the Jazz sports don't follow the feel-good plot.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #506
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Russell came to Utah from his home in California, saying he wouldn’t have missed the Sloan celebration.

"I played for some great coaches, but he’s the best," Russell said. "I would play for Jerry any time."

Didn't he play for Phil?

Quote:
The Jazz took Russell with the 45th overall pick in the 1994 draft. They were scouting a higher-profile Long Beach State teammate, Lucious Harris, when they noticed Russell was always around the ball — making plays.

Russell spent nine seasons with the Jazz, although he spent the first four as a player in and out of Sloan’s rotation. Some nights he’d play a lot. Some nights he’d play a little. Some nights he wouldn’t play at all.

"There were times I thought I should have played but didn’t and I didn’t know why," Russell recalled. "Probably because I was a little bullheaded and arrogant. … But at the end of the day, what Jerry said got through to me."

A small forward in the NBA, Russell made the transition from a back-to-the-basket player in college.

"I wasn’t a shooter," he said. "But after every season, there was a meeting and the coaches said, ‘You’ve got to work on this or work on that.’ I always went back worked on my shooting."

Russell ended up shooting 37.1 percent from the 3-point line in 628 regular-seasons with the Jazz.

Today, Russell lives with his wife and three children near Los Angeles. His oldest attends college. His other two kids are in high school. His son, Brandon, starts on the El Camino Real High School basketball team as a sophomore.

"I’d put him up against any 15-year-old in the country and let him go to work," Russell said. "I’m proud of him. But I’m proud of them all."

Now 43, Russell would like to coach sometime down the road.

"Yeah, I’d get into that," he said. "I think I have a lot to offer, especially being a player at every level, including the highest level and the highest moments."
Old 02-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #507
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

will Corbin stay on as the Utah Jazz head coach?

In the opinion of one Hall of Fame coach, the answer is a resounding affirmative. Jerry Sloan, revered by most everyone in NBA circles, leaves no doubt on his position relative to Corbin’s employment with the Jazz.

Unfortunately for both coaches, it may not make a difference. New general manager Dennis Lindsey, who worked for the San Antonio Spurs four years ago when the Jazz promoted Corbin, may want to hire his own coach.

In the end, Sloan’s coaching tree in Salt Lake City could die shortly after the Jazz finish the season April 16 against Minnesota. But give him credit for sticking up for his guy.

In an informal question-and-answer session with fans during the fourth annual Jazz Beach Bash in Cancun, Mexico, over the All-Star break, Sloan was part of a panel consisting of former coaches, players, media members and a team executive. As he did during an incredible 23-year career with the Jazz, Sloan minced no words in defending Corbin. Some of the crowd may not have supported Sloan’s stance, but they had to appreciate his straightforwardness and unwavering loyalty.

His defense of Corbin began with a history, dating back to four years ago when Sloan rocked the NBA by deciding to quit during the season. Ignoring impassioned pleas by Jazz management to stay on, Sloan had had enough. He simply needed a break from the petulant Deron Williams’ of the league and was out of energy to continue.

Sloan’s right-hand man for more than two decades literally followed him out the door. Instead of taking over the team and probably earning more money in the process, assistant coach Phil Johnson quit in stride with his boss.

The Jazz then looked down the bench and chose Corbin, who had earned the right above all other candidates to coach the team. Management also emphasized he wasn’t taking over on an interim basis.

A second-round pick out of DePaul, Corbin lasted in the NBA for 16 years on the staples of hard work and effort. He was a coach’s dream as a player, keeping his mouth shut and earnestly doing whatever was asked.

Corbin put forth the same ethic as an assistant coach. No wonder Sloan loves him.

If replacing a legend wasn’t hard enough, Corbin was put in a nearly impossible situation when the Jazz traded Williams to New Jersey for rookie Derrick Favors and other pieces. Right on cue, Corbin’s record the rest of the year was 8-20.

With Lindsey on board, the team began a major overhaul last season by letting free agents Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson leave with nothing in return. With those two players, Corbin had a winning record in the hotly contested Western Conference the last two seasons.

Recognizing the future was limited, all associated with the Jazz clamored for more. The best way was to turn loose the young players, even if it wasn’t in Corbin’s personal best interests. A losing record this season was inevitable. Not even Phil Jackson or Red Auerbach could coax much success out of a team that started John Lucas III at point guard, which was the case early this season.

Thankfully, rookie point guard Trey Burke returned from injury during the first month. But this was still a team far shy on experience and dependable talent.

As Sloan pointed out, with few exceptions, veteran teams win in the world’s most talent basketball league. The mesmerized crowd listened as he recited a litany of examples. Even if they wanted to, no one dared to counter the legend.

The silence from the Jazz makes a statement. There’s got to be a reason the team hasn’t yet extended Corbin’s contract.

By now, he and his assistants likely realize their fate. But Corbin’s story is far from written. As Sloan proved after getting fired as coach of the Chicago Bulls 32 years ago, talent wins out.

The same foundation that carried Corbin this far isn’t going away any time soon. If his Jazz tenure is nearing the end, it’s only a matter of time before he’s back at it.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #508
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=28784740&nid...efits-pitfalls

Good article. Rare to see someone say something not glowing about Jer.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: