Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #2641
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What are you reading?

yeah there are multiple facets. since most of our gadgets these days involve communication, it becomes an open circuit with people at either end. and then it's not so much a problem of feeling detached from the technology as figuring out where it starts and you end. i dunno if its so much the complexity of digital programming as you said as it is function and interaction with human beings. i suppose thats what you mean by difficulty in understanding the components.

i feel like somehow there's a great analogy to be made between language and technology.... how semantic/syntax and program/device relate to one another, with specific regard to the human being at the center of it all. i dunno what it is tho lol
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #2642
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah, it is definitely something I'll have to sit and think through as I read the book. There is definitely something of a puzzle being formed throughout my reading of it that will take some time to digest.

I keep having mini-revelations (or just bullshit musings possibly) as I read through the book. For example, I was just introduced to the concept of the scientific method creating the chaos it seeks to reduce which is I have never previously considered. His conclusion about the creation of hypothesis is something that doesn't mesh with my previous opinion. It helps that the book is very well-written because these topics/questions could be infinitely more difficult to consider with a less skilled writer.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #2643
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

ha yea, that definitely rings a bell. its sort of like a rabbit hole, opening a can of worms type concept isn't it? and he's pissed because he thought he'd eventually find some axiom and he realizes there isn't one.

whatever else it is, at least it's neat lol
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #2644
AirMike
Serious playground baller

AirMike has an OK reputation so far

My top 3 writers are: Frederic Forsyth, Tom Clancy and John le Carre.
I am going to read the latest one by Carre after my finals week, I canīt wait...
AirMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #2645
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm not sure I came away with a coherent and consistent philosophy out of the book but it did bring up some really interesting idea. I think the most interesting idea was the "quality event" and how it relates to religion (the Buddha) and science. He seems to bring up the idea that there is a subconscious process that underlies reality and the relationship between subject and object. It is hard to really discuss it without sitting down and thinking through it more thoroughly but he establishes a connection between the scientific process (specifically hypothesis generation) and eastern philosophy.

Something interesting that I think he touched upon was how technology creates a subject-object relationship between people. As far as the internet, facebook and messageboards make it easier to view people in terms of surface characteristics and treat them as objects.

The most practical portion of the book comes when he discusses how to improve yourself based on the idea of quality. The philosophy here seems to just be a more elaborate system to describe self-improvement and emotional commitment to life and work.

It was a very good read and I'm sure I will go through it again in a few years. I'll probably check into that philosophy podcast to get their take on things.

Awesome read. It was the first time in years where I burned through the whole thing because I couldn't put the book down. It was really interested to get behind the psychology of Ender. It was very easy to think of the characters and Ender as fully grown adults but then the writing gave powerful reminders of childhood.

Fantastic book that I liked so much that I will avoid the film adaptation.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #2646
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I got very invested in the characters which made for an awesome read. Ender really develops into a full character in this book now that he is in adulthood. Card is certainly preachy but i enjoyed his taken on cultural miscommunication and misunderstandings. Overall it was a great page turner that espoused a philosophy i can agree with. Also, the idea of a speaker for the dead is awesome. I prob liked it more than Ender's Game.

It was very interesting too see how the characters changed for me now that Im older. Tom, Daisy, and Jordan all changed drastically now that I have an adult understanding of the world and Gatsby seems to be the ultimate teenager. Still, I love the romantiscism of the story and the style of Fitz's writing. Not my favorite of his novels but certainly a great piece of writing.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #2647
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #2648
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Mistborn: The Well of Ascension - 5/5

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #2649
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Absolutely loved it. Two things I really enjoyed about the book were the character of Billy Beane and Paul DePodesta's methodology in developing ways to analyse the game. Lewis is a great writer too. His books are incredibly easy to read an comprehend and really has a knack for drawing you into the story he is selling.

I think the way that Paul develop to evaluate players is a beautiful example of how powerful regression analysis can be. He used statistical regression models to find traits that correlated with success in prospects and winning games that are easy to overlook with the naked eye and Billy applied them to decision making. Paul fit the story to the evidence that his models produced and I think it would be a phenomenal example for stats teachers to use to demonstrate the proper application of stats in a business-type scenario.

The depiction of Billy was really cool. His charisma and management intuition was pretty cool to observe through Michael Lewis' eyes. The most interesting thing to me was hearing about his days as a player. The fact that he toyed around with hitting switch in AA and hit .300 for like a month as a lefty is pretty insane.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #2650
Derka
Go C's!

Derka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Antony Beevor's "The Second World War"

Just finished Kursk, getting into the planning stages for Overlord. I already know most of this stuff, but its a good read. Written as a narrative history...good primary sources.

Beevor goes out of his way to shit on Churchill quite often, which is refreshing...a real emphasis on how he did his damnedest to get as many countries fighting Hitler as possible merely because he knew what Stalin ha planned for postwar Europe.

He does a good amount of work on the Sino-Japanese phase of the fighting, as well...something that gets ignored too often.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #2651
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar

SpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Considering starting Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Is it any good?
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #2652
Le Shaqtus
Eat shit USF

Le Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLe Shaqtus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Le Shaqtus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #2653
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

Absolutely loved it. Two things I really enjoyed about the book were the character of Billy Beane and Paul DePodesta's methodology in developing ways to analyse the game. Lewis is a great writer too. His books are incredibly easy to read an comprehend and really has a knack for drawing you into the story he is selling.

I think the way that Paul develop to evaluate players is a beautiful example of how powerful regression analysis can be. He used statistical regression models to find traits that correlated with success in prospects and winning games that are easy to overlook with the naked eye and Billy applied them to decision making. Paul fit the story to the evidence that his models produced and I think it would be a phenomenal example for stats teachers to use to demonstrate the proper application of stats in a business-type scenario.

The depiction of Billy was really cool. His charisma and management intuition was pretty cool to observe through Michael Lewis' eyes. The most interesting thing to me was hearing about his days as a player. The fact that he toyed around with hitting switch in AA and hit .300 for like a month as a lefty is pretty insane.

I loved that book. It's crazy how good a narrative it is for something that seems like it's gonna be so dry. He really is a great writer. He wrote a great article a few years back about Shane Battier and advanced metrics as applied to basketball defense that's a great read. It's sort of a long essay, more than an article but less than a book.

I just started Cormac McCarthy's The Road last night. Man it is dreary, which I expected, but still ... man.
Just really rich set building stuff. Narratively it doesn't move much. Feels like it'll go pretty quick.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #2654
TheReturn
Rnbizzle 2.0

TheReturn is a pretty well-respected posterTheReturn is a pretty well-respected posterTheReturn is a pretty well-respected posterTheReturn is a pretty well-respected poster

TheReturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #2655
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: