Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-06-2009, 04:29 AM   #31
Riker
Prime Weak Era GOAT

Riker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Kobe, Jordan, and 40 point games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
What's so amazing is that MJ walked away from the game twice. The first time he was at his peak, and missed a season and most of another. The second time he still had gas in the tank.

Yeah but in the 90's defense were a lot weaker and points counted rather differently.

For instance, 30 points in todays era are equal to approx. 76 points in the 90's.

It's just the rules and NBA inflation that needs to be considered.
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:42 AM   #32
puppychili
#3 Laker Hater

puppychili has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
Why yes I agree with that as well.

But if that is true can we say Russel > Jordan?????

I would say rings + 40 point games > Rings.

But I see the game you're playing and I like it.
puppychili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #33
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
Yeah but in the 90's defense were a lot weaker and points counted rather differently.

Defense a lot weaker? GTFO because it's obvious you didn't even watch Jordan as a bull. As far as perimeter players, MJ attacked the basket without a restricted zone. While guys like Wade can just throw themselves into the lane, and if the defender even is set, if his heel is on the line, the offensive player automatically gets the call. There wasn't a 3 second rule, so post players didn't have to worry about clearling out the lane all the time, they just needed to be aware of their position to avoid the illegal defense call. While players couldn't double off the ball, they could collapse and help as soon as MJ made a move towards the bucket, and they allowed more contact from defenders. Weaker defense? Stop watching moronic youtube videos made by Kobe fanatics.

Quote:
For instance, 30 points in todays era are equal to approx. 76 points in the 90's.

It's just the rules and NBA inflation that needs to be considered.
you = moron
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:13 AM   #34
Scott Pippen
Decent college freshman

Scott Pippen is popular on this boardScott Pippen is popular on this boardScott Pippen is popular on this boardScott Pippen is popular on this board

Quote:
Defense a lot weaker? GTFO because it's obvious you didn't even watch Jordan as a bull. As far as perimeter players, MJ attacked the basket without a restricted zone. While guys like Wade can just throw themselves into the lane, and if the defender even is set, if his heel is on the line, the offensive player automatically gets the call. There wasn't a 3 second rule, so post players didn't have to worry about clearling out the lane all the time. While players couldn't double off the ball, they could collapse and help as soon as MJ made a move towards the bucket, and they allowed more contact from defenders. Weaker defense? Stop watching moronic youtube videos.

you = moron

it is sarcasm

Last edited by Scott Pippen : 01-06-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Scott Pippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:14 AM   #35
Riker
Prime Weak Era GOAT

Riker has not been impressing people

You disappointed me.

Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:16 AM   #36
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Sanford
You should practice the use of simple logic. Because he can "turn it on" and score a lot more doesn't mean he can't struggle or be shut down.

By making the claim that somebody can score whenever they want means when said player doesn't score, it's because he chooses not to score. Which means that every time he couldn't get a basket when needed, and games were lost, it's because he chose not to "turn it on" and score "at will". That claim is not only false, but ridiculous.

Quote:
I can't find where someone said he was a magic genie and was unstoppable.

That's exactly what some have said about Kobe, that he can get a basket whenever he wants and score at will.

Quote:
If you don't understand that Kobe, especially on this current team that actually has some talent around him, could fairly easily score another 10+ a night you either don't watch much basketball or you shouldn't be...
You obviously don't even comprehend the premise of my original point, so I will stop here.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:17 AM   #37
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
You disappointed me.

With so many naive or ignorant fans around these days, you can hardly blame me.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #38
ballhog
I airball my layups

ballhog has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychili
Dictionary: deflect

To turn aside or cause to turn aside; bend or deviate.

For the record. Laker fans would have loved to get Deng at the time he signed his deal.

The number of Bulls wins enabled them to get Rose who is a future stud.

The one positive for the Bulls last year is that they didn't trade for Kobe.

Paxson should be fired at the end of this year and Del Negro is a joke of a coach.

All of that above though doesnt change the fact that Kobe and the Lakers choke in game 4 and showed no heart in game 6. Kobe also played more like Katie Jordan that Michael Jordan for the majority of that series.
And it was a serious question. What was Kobes average for the series.

now there is no need to go on and insult Katie Jordan

Last edited by ballhog : 01-06-2009 at 06:34 AM.
ballhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #39
JJ81
Good college starter

JJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this boardJJ81 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan
he has more than half way to go

No, he doesn't.
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #40
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

ThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychili
Lakers could of used 40+ from Kobe in games 4 and 6 of the Finals last year. What was his average during the Finals anyways?

Since no one answered your question...

25.7 ppg, 21.8 FGA, 40.5% shooting.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #41
Moneyshot
I brick open layups

Moneyshot has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan
no way in hell, u can bet that. he has more than half way to go

AI woulda had more if he stayed in philly

Where the **** did you learn how to do math? Jesus.
Moneyshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #42
Jacks3
Very good NBA starter

Jacks3 has decent reputationJacks3 has decent reputation

That is absolutely amazing. Consider that he came off the bench his 1st 2 years, was the 2nd option behind Shaq for 6 years, and has had a great team for the past 2 seasons. He's really been on bad teams for 2 seasons. And he still has 94 career 40+ point games third all-time. Imagine what he would have done as the #1 guy from the beginning of his career.
Jacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #43
beau_boy04
Local High School Star

beau_boy04 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks3
That is absolutely amazing. Consider that he came off the bench his 1st 2 years, was the 2nd option behind Shaq for 6 years, and has had a great team for the past 2 seasons. He's really been on bad teams for 2 seasons. And he still has 94 career 40+ point games third all-time. Imagine what he would have done as the #1 guy from the beginning of his career.

He would have not been a #1 guy at the beginning of his career. He jumped out of school and didn't develop until his 3rd season I believe.
beau_boy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #44
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I predict he'll finish at about 120 such games, which is a hell of a number. 140 is pushing it, especially as long as he plays 35-37 mpg and on good teams. While I'm at it, I'm not even sure he'll reach the 120 plateau. He'll need 26 more, an average of 5.2 for this season and 4 more. Achievable, but not granted.

FIY, if we include ABA careers, Barry is at 118 40-pointers.

FIY#2, Kobe is exactly at 100 40-point games if we include playoffs. However, this way he's at #4, since Baylor has a combined total of 103.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #45
puppychili
#3 Laker Hater

puppychili has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
40.5% shooting.

Ouch!

Thank you by the way.
puppychili is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: