Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-20-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
PainDog
I airball my layups

PainDog has an OK reputation so far
Default The Goodness of Tim Duncan....

Yeah I know pointing out that Tim Duncan is a good basketball player on an NBA forum is about as redundant as pointing out Fedor Emelienenko is a good MMA fighter at an MMA forum.

Anyways, a guy that knows I am in to basketball asked me who I thought was the MVP thus far and asked what criteria I used to judge an MVP. Is it stats or games won he asked? I said it is a combination of both and of course what the player means to his team, in my opinion LeBron in the MVP so far this season, but I am biased cause I am a huge LeBron fan.

I added the case can be made like almost every season Duncan, Kobe, or KG is the MVP.
I said look at Duncan he is the only man on the Spurs that was there for their first championship that is still playing and look how consistent the Spurs have been between then and now with him being the only piece that has not changed.

There is no doubt in my mind Duncan is the best PF ever. You could say he is a center anymore, but he still starts at power forward and has Bonner pretending to be center. That by the way is cool with me, if Duncan is embarrassed to be a center is fine, cause I like to think of him as a forward anyways.

He isn’t flashy, he doesn’t have to lead the league in any one category, he doesn’t have to shout it out or make it well known, he is as consistent a big man as there has been, and is one of the greatest basketball players of all time.

The man is a winner, and every single year there is as good an argument for him to MVP as anyone else. Who else has taken entirely different teams to championships?

On another note, I am really liking Delonte West letting the fro grow out….the red fro…is epic…..
PainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
starface
Banned

starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: The Goodness of Tim Duncan....

Duncan is god, this board still underrates him egregiously.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
LAShow24
Banned

LAShow24 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainDog
Yeah I know pointing out that Tim Duncan is a good basketball player on an NBA forum is about as redundant as pointing out Fedor Emelienenko is a good MMA fighter at an MMA forum.

Anyways, a guy that knows I am in to basketball asked me who I thought was the MVP thus far and asked what criteria I used to judge an MVP. Is it stats or games won he asked? I said it is a combination of both and of course what the player means to his team, in my opinion LeBron in the MVP so far this season, but I am biased cause I am a huge LeBron fan.

I added the case can be made like almost every season Duncan, Kobe, or KG is the MVP.
I said look at Duncan he is the only man on the Spurs that was there for their first championship that is still playing and look how consistent the Spurs have been between then and now with him being the only piece that has not changed.

There is no doubt in my mind Duncan is the best PF ever. You could say he is a center anymore, but he still starts at power forward and has Bonner pretending to be center. That by the way is cool with me, if Duncan is embarrassed to be a center is fine, cause I like to think of him as a forward anyways.

He isn’t flashy, he doesn’t have to lead the league in any one category, he doesn’t have to shout it out or make it well known, he is as consistent a big man as there has been, and is one of the greatest basketball players of all time.

The man is a winner, and every single year there is as good an argument for him to MVP as anyone else. Who else has taken entirely different teams to championships?

On another note, I am really liking Delonte West letting the fro grow out….the red fro…is epic…..

Duncan and Shaq have been the best since MJ.
LAShow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
booonkers
Serious playground baller

booonkers has an OK reputation so far

I think he's the type of player whose true level of greatness will only be recognized once he's gone. When he hangs it up he'll be sorely missed.
booonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:56 PM   #5
3stat2
Local High School Star

3stat2 is considered somewhat cool3stat2 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainDog
You could say he is a center anymore, but he still starts at power forward and has Bonner pretending to be center.
Yeah it's pretty funny, but whatever works for them.

I think Duncan is still way underappreciated. He might just be the greatest power forward to ever play the game. Consider how much attention Magic (greatest PG) or Jordan (greatest SG/basketball player) got, and then look at Duncan, arguably the greatest PF. Oh well.

Oh, and in before Sir Charles.
3stat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:12 AM   #6
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by starface
this board still underrates him egregiously.

even as much as i cant stand watching the spurs, i agree with this statement-- and it is not only at ish, it is everywhere.

td could be the greatest "quiet" member of the hof someday
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:46 AM   #7
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAShow24
Duncan and Shaq have been the best since MJ.
...shooting free throws
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #8
Nash-tastic
Great college starter

Nash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Duncan is underrated by everybody including the media, sometimes after I watch Duncan play, I feel that he can be right up there with LeBron,Kobe,CP3,Wade...
Nash-tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
WADE MONEY
I hit open jumpers.

WADE MONEY has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
...shooting free throws

yeah i know. Freethrows win championships. Those two guys just couldn't get it done because of their woes at the line.
WADE MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
stephanieg
College superstar

stephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected poster

I wonder if Duncan has died in a car crash whenever I see people debating "who's the best in the NBA?" He's never listed. It's always a perimeter player like Kobe or LeBron or Wade.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
StephenDedalus
Banned

StephenDedalus has an OK reputation so far

He's obviously amazing but I don't see what makes him better than Nowitzki or even Garnett, outside of the fact he has always had much better teammates.

It's not like he ever takes the final shot or is the go to guy in the clutch.

Oh, and don't bother calling me a "hater" or whatever. I love Duncan but just fail to see how he's so much better than the other 2 golden power forwards of my generations
StephenDedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
stephanieg
College superstar

stephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenDedalus
He's obviously amazing but I don't see what makes him better than Nowitzki or even Garnett, outside of the fact he has always had much better teammates.

It's true, if you have a team good enough to win a title you become better in the popular imagination. Usually people use the phrase "making your team mates better" to mean superstars make their team mates better, but it actually works in reverse.

However, imagine if part of a team's strategy -- in a playoff series! -- was to put Stephen Jackson or James Posey on Duncan. The networks couldn't show the games. They'd have to be censored. You can't that sorta thing on national TV.

Quote:

Ever? I can think of a couple examples. And he's definitely a go to guy in the clutch when they desperately need a basket in the half court, unless your definition of in the clutch is limited to literally the last two or three possessions.

Quote:
Oh, and don't bother calling me a "hater" or whatever. I love Duncan but just fail to see how he's so much better than the other 2 golden power forwards of my generations

Hell, you want Duncan hate? How about, he got owned by Pau Gasol last year? He choked against the Lakers in general, giving up twenty point leads, letting a hobbled Manu and depleted bench screw his chance at the Finals while he was missing layups. He also got humbled by Chandler, even if he was sick the first two games.

Last edited by stephanieg : 12-21-2008 at 12:19 PM.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
PainDog
I airball my layups

PainDog has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenDedalus

Much better teammates? Steve Nash won the leagues MVP the very year he left Dallas, how are you going to get better than a point guard that wins back to back MVPs. Even now, Dirk has Terry and Kidd both are still allstar level players even if Jason Terry has never been one.

I mean, Duncan was going out there with Bruce Bowen, Malik Rose, Danny Ferry, Scott Smith, and winning a championship. These guys are not better than the guys Dirk has had around him or KG...especially when KG's teams have actually done well....which has...basically been once since he has been on Boston with Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and a host of solid role players.

The things Duncan has done better than those two...is well winning among other things. Is Duncan perfect, well who is?

I agree he is likely to be the quietest guy in the HOF....and to to me if no one else, thinks he deserves a Hammer dance

PainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: