Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #16
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)
 
Yung D-Will's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jerry Sloan's Doghouse
Posts: 12,580
Yung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar24
T-mac's 13 points in 35 seconds is a joke compared to the other 2 performances. The most impressive was Kobe's 62 in 3 quarters. If he played the 4th quarter, his total would be greater than 81. Also, this performance came against the defense of the Mavs, not the Raptors.

Yea I just rewatched Kobe's Vid and that game was crazy lol.
Yung D-Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #17
crounsa810
National High School Star
 
crounsa810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,247
crounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1?

In my eyes, the 13 in 35 impresses me more. The other 2 are cool, but don't impress me as much. Anyone can top those, it just takes being selfish. T-Mac finished with 33 points for the game. He passed the ball more. THe other's are pure selfishness. If I were a stat fan, the 100 would impress me the most, but I'm not interested in stats, more into team play.

Last edited by crounsa810 : 12-19-2008 at 06:51 PM.
crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #18
dawsey6
/thread
 
dawsey6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,454
dawsey6 has decent reputationdawsey6 has decent reputation
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
Yea I just rewatched Kobe's Vid and that game was crazy lol.

The 62 in 3 game? Do you have a link?
dawsey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #19
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star
 
G-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,926
G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff #1
How is this?

100 back then is 63 today.

How do you know what 62 through 3 quarters translates to through 4 quarters? It could have been over 100 easily.

100 is 100.

"It could have been over 100 easily." - But it wasnt.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #20
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)
 
Yung D-Will's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jerry Sloan's Doghouse
Posts: 12,580
Yung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsey6
The 62 in 3 game? Do you have a link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJNoFs3G91A

I'm pretty sure thats it.
Yung D-Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #21
Allstar24
NBA lottery pick
 
Allstar24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 5,581
Allstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
Yea I just rewatched Kobe's Vid and that game was crazy lol.
It really was, he actually outscored the Mavs by the 3rd quarter all by himself...62-61
Allstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #22
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star
 
G-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,926
G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar24
T-mac's 13 points in 35 seconds is a joke compared to the other 2 performances. The most impressive was Kobe's 62 in 3 quarters. If he played the 4th quarter, his total would be greater than 81. Also, this performance came against the defense of the Mavs, not the Raptors.

It might have been 63. IT might have been 69. It might have been 90.

But it wasnt. It was 62 in 3 quarters.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #23
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star
 
G-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,926
G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff #1
He also needed 63 FGA to score 100. Players like Kobe, Jordan, Iverson, etc. could have scored 130 back then if they ever attempted as many field goals.

But they didnt. Lets discuss what has happened, not what you personally think may happen in a magical world where we travel back in time.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #24
Loki
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,079
Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1?

Kobe's 81 point game was way more impressive than his 62 in 3 to me, even though it was against a far worse team. That's because in the 81 point game, Kobe was making buckets, and was legitimately on fire. In the 62 point game, he had more FT's as the entire Maverick team through 3 quarters (25 vs. 21) and had 17 or 18 FT's in the third quarter alone. That's just obscene.

I like when guys make buckets, which is why Melo's 33 point quarter recently is way more impressive than Kobe's 30 point third quarter in that Mavs game.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #25
Loki
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,079
Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff #1

62 after 3 quarters is nearly an average of 21 points per quarter. Knowing this, it's safe to assume that Kobe would have scored AT LEAST 21 more points had he played the 4th quarter (giving him 83).

WTF? That's not true at all. The only reason his "average" was 21 points per quarter is because of his 30 point third quarter, which was largely the result of an absurd amount of FT's (he had 17 or 18 FTA in the third). There's no way that you can say he would have had a 21 point 4th quarter. I do think he would have probably had 73-77 points, however. 83 is stretching it.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #26
shadow
Laker fan here
 
shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 2,958
shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff #1
And do you know WHY it was only 62? Because Phil Jackson is trash and doesn't care if someone has a chance to make history.

Phil asked Kobe if he wanted back in. Kobe declined. Not Phil's fault.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #27
bladefd
Good college starter
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,352
bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff #1
He also needed 63 FGA to score 100. Players like Kobe, Jordan, Iverson, etc. could have scored 130 back then if they ever attempted as many field goals.

Wow, Wilt really took 63 shots to reach 100 points? That really is something. The one thing is that there was no 3pt shot back then so players like Kobe, Jordan, Iverson would have no 3pt shots to work with. It would only be 2pt shots and 1pt free-throws.
I don't think the 3pt range really applies to Wilt himself because he was a big guy with not a long range. He would not be able to get 100 points in today's game since there would be bigger guys around him today to box the paint down and make it impossible for Wilt to enter the paint. Would Kobe or Jordan be able to score as much as Wilt in his days? Probably not because there would be no 3pt range. Now a guy like Iverson might be able to average 35-40 points easily because nobody in those days was quick enough or even in that good shape to keep up with today's Iverson for 40 minutes straight.

Last edited by bladefd : 12-19-2008 at 07:16 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #28
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star
 
G-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,926
G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff #1
And do you know WHY it was only 62? Because Phil Jackson is trash and doesn't care if someone has a chance to make history.

62 after 3 quarters is nearly an average of 21 points per quarter. Knowing this, it's safe to assume that Kobe would have scored AT LEAST 21 more points had he played the 4th quarter (giving him 83).

However, knowing that the game was already over, Kobe could try his hardest to go for 100 while forgetting about anything else (Wilt did exactly this). He'd probably score 8-12 more points by doing this.

That would have given him 91-95 points for the game. Nobody on that team would/could have done anything about it.

Nice one Nostradamus.

Firstly its safe to assume nothing. He may have ran out of energy to score more than 10. He may have sprained his ankle 2 minutes in. He may have hit 6 three pointers and numerous layups and score 103 points.

He didnt. He scored 62 in 3 quarters. A fantastic achievement.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #29
crounsa810
National High School Star
 
crounsa810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,247
crounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected postercrounsa810 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff #1
And do you know WHY it was only 62? Because Phil Jackson is trash and doesn't care if someone has a chance to make history.

62 after 3 quarters is nearly an average of 21 points per quarter. Knowing this, it's safe to assume that Kobe would have scored AT LEAST 21 more points had he played the 4th quarter (giving him 83).

However, knowing that the game was already over, Kobe could try his hardest to go for 100 while forgetting about anything else (Wilt did exactly this). He'd probably score 8-12 more points by doing this.

That would have given him 91-95 points for the game. Nobody on that team would/could have done anything about it.
Maybe you don't understand. The goal of basketball is to win the game. Not make history. Look at the Nuggets. We made history with the highest scoring game in history. What happened? We lost. History isn't everything. Jackson is trash? How many teams have you coached to a championship? Thought so.
crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #30
Mdog1
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,056
Mdog1 has decent reputation
Default Re: Chamberlain’s 100 vs. Bryant’s 62 through 3 vs. McGrady’s 13 in 35 – which was #1?

Ok so based on the OP's question 100>62>13. Wilts feat is something that nobody can ever claim, and is the single greatest scoring feat ever recorded. You can say all you want about the compertition that Wilt faced, but you can't take away the 100 points he scored. And how do people get the formula that it is 63 points? Just wonder because last time i checked 100 points is still 100 points even if it was scored on 100 FGA.
Mdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:06 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy