Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default How much of a difference does a 24 second clock make compared to a 30?

I have watched College ball and International ball for years. I have played at high levels in Australia and all use a 30 (intenational leagues) or 35 (college) second shot clock, so I have to ask... How much of a difference do you think the extra 6-11 seconds really make?

Quoth Eric Gordon:
Quote:
In college, guys usually pass the ball around on evey possesion, but in the NBA,the shot clock is so short that once you get the ball up court, you have to shoot almost right away

I apologise if this topic has been posted before (need search function!!!)
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
AllenIverson3
Get off me!

AllenIverson3 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: How much of a difference does a 24 second clock make compared to a 30?

it makes 6 second difference....
AllenIverson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: How much of a difference does a 24 second clock make compared to a 30?

Rebounds would go down, FG% might go up.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

In todays NBA, a players has 7 seconds to advance the ball past the time line. So in essence, the additional time would allow a full 24 seconds in the half court. When a team gets a fresh 24 off a rebound or from a reset in play, almost all teams go to their half court sets. Teams resort to ball movement and post ups in these sets.

I believe that the difference would in turn, be a slower pace game. Teams would run sets to get big guys to post up for high percentage shots, run guys off screens to create space for their shooters, and run pick and rolls/pick and pops. David Stern would cringe at the idea of a slowed down game. Scores would be under 100 points regularly. People will cry and whine (more than they already do) because the game is too slow and boring.

In regards to the generalistsic, mainstream fanů
fast break, high speed action >>> fundamentals
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
allball
National High School Star

allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenIverson3
it makes 6 second difference....

damn u beat me to it
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
bagelred
Welcome Home, LBJ

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
damn u beat me to it

He beat EVERYONE to it. I think we all thought same thing when we saw title.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

the best offense doesnt need 30 seconds to score. it doesnt need 24 seconds either.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
vinsane01
National High School Star

vinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this board

The game will be more boring, no more run and gun. If a team attempts to have a run a gun game, it will backfire against them; since the only thing the other team needs to do is run down the clock to slow down the pace and consequently dropping the run and gun team's FG....But in my opinion more players in the nba will be better off with a 30 seconds shot clock. Fewer TO and better offensive executions will be seen on most teams.
vinsane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I've stated for years that the College shot-clock needs to be reduced to 30 seconds.

35 seconds is RIDICULOUS. The 11 second difference between the NBA and College shot clocks is the biggest hurdle for first year players, in my opinion. People always talk about having to deal with the Athletecism of the NBA, but to me it's having to deal with the Pace.

Also, the margin of error involved with an 11 second difference is huge. In the NBA you typically get to run one set, and you either get it right, or find a shot. In College, you often see teams run multiple sets in one possesson.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Odomize

Why not just change the college rules to follow NBA rules?
Old 12-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
bisk

bisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputationbisk has a terrific reputation

lol can you see Lebron or some1 else just standing there, just past the half court line with the ball in his hands for 30 secs....fook me
bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: