Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-05-2008, 12:12 AM   #31
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Charles Barkley says Shaq is best player on Suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
If he makes it, then Hardaway, KJ, and GP HAVE TO MAKE IT, because he's not better than those players.

GP and KJ will, but Tim Hardaway is not as good as Nash. He was an outstanding PG (and 1st Team all NBA I believe) but Nash was better.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:12 AM   #32
kkling

I couldn't believe it when he said that. Chuck doesn't think before he speaks, that's obvious.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:23 AM   #33
blackification
National High School Star

blackification has decent reputationblackification has decent reputation

Well the Suns best "player" doesn't know whats wrong with his team according to his posts on Twitter.
blackification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #34
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
GP and KJ will, but Tim Hardaway is not as good as Nash. He was an outstanding PG (and 1st Team all NBA I believe) but Nash was better.
Tim was not only a 20/10 player, but he helped 2 different franchises become winners. TMC got 55 wins. When he joined the heat, he helped them to the 60 win mark. He was a 20/10/3/2 player in his prime, and one of the best point guards in the league. His game was more scoring oriented, but he was still great and he wasn't as much of a liability on the defensive end as Nash. I don't think Nash is way better than Hardaway. Afterall, it seems as if people only consider Nash's second stint with the suns as the only time he played. He has a career outside two MVP seasons.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 AM   #35
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
He will be first ballot
If he's first ballot, then two things are going to happen:

1. the HOF will become a joke (already close with some of the greats still not in there)

2. Nash will become one of the most overrated players ever. I've never seen a player be judged solely on a 3 year span without some event like a death or serious injury.

Even Barkley had the balls to call it like it is: the Suns players were system players. Nash, Amare, Marion, all seem better because of the numbers, but that came as a result of the system. Look at what is going on in NY. Nash played outside of Phoenix, and he wasn't that great at all. He was a "good" PG, a little above average, but by no means a top 3 player or MVP level player.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:43 AM   #36
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Tim was not only a 20/10 player, but he helped 2 different franchises become winners. TMC got 55 wins. When he joined the heat, he helped them to the 60 win mark. He was a 20/10/3/2 player in his prime, and one of the best point guards in the league. His game was more scoring oriented, but he was still great and he wasn't as much of a liability on the defensive end as Nash. I don't think Nash is way better than Hardaway. Afterall, it seems as if people only consider Nash's second stint with the suns as the only time he played. He has a career outside two MVP seasons.

He made the AllStar and all NBA team in Dallas. Its not like he wasnt playing his first few years in Phoenix b/c he sucked. Their other PGs were Jason Kidd and Kevin Johnson at the time.

Plus in the basketball HOF you get credit for all levels of play. He helped Santa Clara to the NCAA tourney in 3 of his 4 years when they had only been once since 1970 and haven't been back since he left. He is also that schools all time assist leader and was the West Coast Conference Player of the Year twice.

Last edited by kentatm : 12-05-2008 at 12:46 AM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:53 AM   #37
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
He made the AllStar and all NBA team in Dallas. Its not like he wasnt playing his first few years in Phoenix b/c he sucked. Their other PGs were Jason Kidd and Kevin Johnson at the time.

Plus in the basketball HOF you get credit for all levels of play. He helped Santa Clara to the NCAA tourney in 3 of his 4 years when they had only been once since 1970 and haven't been back since he left. He is also that schools all time assist leader and was the West Coast Conference Player of the Year twice.
So a few all star games makes him HOF? He was a good PG in Dallas, but not a great one. He never got them anywhere, and was often outplayed by Van Exel. Bibby, who never made an all star game despite his role on the Kings (who were better at the time), abused him. He was horrible defensively then, and he still is, but his offense makes up for it in the public's perception. He was a scorer who didn't elevate his teammates like so many people claim he does during his time in Dallas. The Mavs had their best success once he left.

Nash had his best success on a team with a system that maximized his strengths and minimized his weaknesses, and anytime he's been outside that environment, he's been a good point guard, not a great one. I just can't see a FIRST ballot HOF player with no finals appearance.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:05 AM   #38
Smokee
Banned

Smokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected poster

Barkley fell for the Shaq fad going on lately. I mean Shaq's played well early but he gets way too hyped by the has beens that are commentators now.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:36 AM   #39
godofgods
Banned

godofgods has not been impressing people

Amare is overrated. If he had gone to the Wolves instead of Al Jefferson, he wouldn't have been as successful as Al Jefferson now.
godofgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:39 AM   #40
mattreis62
Good High School Starter

mattreis62 has decent reputation

Quote:
If he makes it, then Hardaway, KJ, and GP HAVE TO MAKE IT, because he's not better than those players.

There's no IF Nash is going to make it. He has two MVPs and everybody in the history of the league who even has ONE is in the HOF. Were his MVPs deserved? I personally don't think he was the MVP either of those two years, but the voters thought differently and he won. Nash is a future first-ballot HOFer, period.
mattreis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:06 AM   #41
KenneBell
What set you claim?

KenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreis62
Nash is a future first-ballot HOFer, period.
Yup, there's nothing else to be said. Deserved or undeserved, he's pretty much in.
KenneBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:36 AM   #42
stephanieg
College superstar

stephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected poster

HA! It's funny seeing people who spend their time ranking players based on accolades (particularly players they never watched) get burned and complain when they think a current player's accolades are undeserved. Hypocrite much?

Nash = 2 MVPs >>> every PG in the history of the NBA not named Magic.

stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:49 AM   #43
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieg
HA! It's funny seeing people who spend their time ranking players based on accolades (particularly players they never watched) get burned and complain when they think a current player's accolades are undeserved. Hypocrite much?

Nash = 2 MVPs >>> every PG in the history of the NBA not named Magic.

Are you seriously ranking Nash as the second greatest PG ever? And if that reference was to me, I did see Hardaway's career, and I did see KJ play, and I did watch Nash in Dallas, and I don't rank players based off MVP's alone.

Last edited by Showtime : 12-05-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:01 AM   #44
stephanieg
College superstar

stephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Are you seriously ranking Nash as the second greatest PG ever?

Are you seriously asking if I'm serious?

You're right though. How to weigh a single Finals MVP versus two regular season MVPs? Equal? More? At the very least it would go...

1. Magic
2. Nash-Isiah-Billups-Parker-DJ
3. Cousy-Oscar

You know I'm screwing with you, right?

Quote:
And if that reference was to me, I did see Hardaway's career, and I did see KJ play, and I did watch Nash in Dallas.

Reference was to everyone who doesn't like the fact that Nash has two MVPs and then turns around and starts ranking people by awards, accolades, and team accomplishments. Never makes sense but people don't even stop when they get smacked in the face with it. Whether this applies to you in particular I have no idea. Hopefully not.

Last edited by stephanieg : 12-05-2008 at 03:03 AM.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:31 AM   #45
CasterL
Feeling supersonic

CasterL is a pretty well-respected posterCasterL is a pretty well-respected posterCasterL is a pretty well-respected posterCasterL is a pretty well-respected poster

i hate to break it 2 u but nash didnt deserve back 2 back mvps
CasterL is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: