Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Kleiza7

Default If NBA was history , wich era would be called middleages?

i would prolly say current era being middleages.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
okayabc123
Serious playground baller

okayabc123 has not been impressing people
Default Re: If NBA was history , wich era would be called middleages?

WTF are you talking about?

NBA is history.. history is about everything that has happened in the past.. NBA has gone through uh.. hmm.. oh.. 50+ years.. so yes, that's history!

If by your account, NBA is in middleages, what happens in another 50 years? Is the NBA going to go extinct?

I mean, c'mon people! Let's not post topics just to post...
okayabc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Well if the NBA started in around the 1940's and it is now the year of 2008, I would say the middle ages were… the 1970s. Yeah, that looks right. Thats the middle of the NBA ages…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleiza7
i would prolly say current era being middleages.

Don't worry, man. I get what you meant and agree to an extent.
"Middle Ages" was meant as an analogy, an idiom...
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
Don't worry, man. I get what you meant and agree to an extent.
"Middle Ages" was meant as an analogy, an idiom...

The fella should have probably worded his post better

Maybe by saying "Dark Ages" as the "Middle Ages" has historically been refered to as such…

and still being witty with my reply, I still stand by my opinion of the 1970s being the "dark ages" before the renaissance aka the 1980s aka Magic and Bird ;)
Old 12-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R

Maybe by saying "Dark Ages" as the "Middle Ages" has historically been refered to as such…

and still being witty with my reply, I still stand by my opinion of the 1970s being the "dark ages" before the renaissance aka the 1980s aka Magic and Bird ;)

Industrial Revolution 1994-2006... New Age 2007-now.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

See, your way of wording it makes a lot more sense, but history is always peaks and troughs. If late '60's and '70's was a trough and the '80's to late '90's was a peak, I truly believe we are back in a trough.
It may not have been worded well, but you can't let that get in the way of a good idea
Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
See, your way of wording it makes a lot more sense, but history is always peaks and troughs. If late '60's and '70's was a trough and the '80's to late '90's was a peak, I truly believe we are back in a trough.
It may not have been worded well, but you can't let that get in the way of a good idea

Fair enough

So would we classify the fall of the empire in 1998? And that the great leader from then tried for a resurgence in 2001-03? with little success…
Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
bigdog13
High School JV MVP

bigdog13 has not been impressing people

I like the use of the "word" (I put in quotes because it is not a work) prolly. WTF???
bigdog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Fair enough

So would we classify the fall of the empire in 1998? And that the great leader from then tried for a resurgence in 2001-03? with little success…

I hate the Lakers, but I attribute the downfall to the lack of great skilled bigmen and the combined downfall of Olajuwon, Ewing, Robinson, etc, as well as the PFs of the era, not the uprising of SGs. It may be coincidence, but appears that every great era had great big men.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #11
NBACha
Decent playground baller

NBACha has an OK reputation so far

Why do people post so many useless/meaningless questions on this board?
NBACha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #12
Nash-tastic
Great college starter

Nash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNash-tastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't get it
Nash-tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #13
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJohnnySic is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Ancient Times = 1940's to 1969 (end of Celtics Dynasty)

Middle/Dark Ages = 1970 to 1980 (Magic/Bird)

Renaisance/Enlightenment Era = 1980 to 1998 (end of the Jordanaires)

Modern Era - 1999 - Present

Post-Modern (Developing, era of the freakazoids like Lebron, Howard, Oden , and future ?)

^Looks right to me.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #14
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The NBA history (and generally the history of something) doesn't necessarily need to have the same stages with the human history, neither do its stages need to follow the same order with the human history stages. Most young fans would have the 70's as the "dark ages", but I can't see how the era which featured some of the best teams ever (70, 73 Knicks, 71 Bucks, 72 Lakers), a top-3 NBA player ever at his prime (Kareem), some revolutionarly, exciting players who brought millions of new fans to the game (Dr.J, Maravich, David Thompson), not to mention the ABA, the league that brought new trends to the game, can be called "Dark".
Yes, Magic and Bird did increase the popularity and the level of the league, but they didn't "save" it from destruction, as some writers dramatically point out. It's worth mentioning that from the early 60's and on, the average fan attendance in NBA games was on the rise pretty consistently, and this includes the late 70's. The average attendance went beyond 10,000 in 1976 and I bet this would happen earlier if NBA arenas were as big as they are now. If there's something which helped the NBA's popularity explode world-wide, that's the explosion of the media and the first efforts of the NBA's globalization.

The only time that I would describe as "dark ages" would be the "ancient NBA" of the 40's-early 50's, when the game was played under plenty of different rules, the young league was trying to survive and blacks were disqualified from playing. The 60's are the "renaissance" for me, the late 60's-70's-early 80's consist the "industrial revolution", the rest of the 80's-early 90's were the "classic ages" (like I said, different order compared to human history) and the rest of the years, when basketball resembles our own one the most are the "modern times"/"post classic age period". Let's just add, mainly for fun, that the '99 season was the equivalent of a world war.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

1970's
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: