Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-04-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
kentatm
NBA Legend

Default Dirk on Devin: Avery held him back

Quote:
"It's hard not to [notice]," Nowitzki said. "I'm still a big fan of this league. Just because I've been playing 10 years doesn't mean I don't watch other games. I still go home at night and watch the League Pass. I saw what he did in Phoenix [47 points, eight assists, seven rebounds]. He's been amazing."

"He looks really sharp, and I'm happy for him," Nowitzki said. "I think sometimes here with Avery [Johnson] constantly on him, he was always looking over his shoulder 'What do I have to do?' and there he's just playing with freedom and confidence, and it's good to see."

link

Just remember this every time you get Avery up on TV acting like Harris was his son who he loved and never wanted traded. Avery did NOT trust Harris, WANTED Kidd and then wouldn't even let Kidd run the offense.

You do NOT want Avery. Raptors fans, I'm looking at you. Don't get Sam Mitchell 2.0 if you guys want to do more than win in the regular season.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Default Re: Dirk on Devin: Avery held him back

I kinda see what your trying to point out.... but PG is very hard to play in the NBA, especially on a championship contending team as a rookie or sophmore. Rondo was a rarity.

He was basically running the offense... your can't afford many mistakes. The trade for Kidd wasn't because they thought Harris couldn't suceed eventually, but it just wasn't the right system for him to go through his 'growing pains' while the team gets older.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #3
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
I kinda see what your trying to point out.... but PG is very hard to play in the NBA, especially on a championship contending team. Rondo was a rarity.

He was basically running the offense... your can't afford many mistakes. The trade for Kidd wasn't because they thought Harris couldn't suceed eventually, but it just wasn't the right system for him to go through his 'growing pains' while the team gets older.

Wrong, Avery is just not a good coach. You will see this when he gets to a new team and still can't let his PG run the team. I would have been more apt to blame Harris in the system had Avery not let his giant ego go out of control and literally would stop Kidd from setting up the fast break to call out plays. It wasn't Harris or Kidd not fitting the system, it was Avery having an impossibly inflexible one that had ZERO plan B. Go back and watch some old Mavs games to see just how little slack Harris had. I have never seen a guy get yanked so often for such little screw ups. Its impossible to grow when you arent allowed.

A Harris/Dirk pick and pop/roll should have been devastating but Avery was too concerned with Dirk becoming a back to the basket post player to develop something that suited both players strengths. Plus, if Harris missed a jumper, to the bench with ya kid. He was never allowed to play through his mistakes.

Last edited by kentatm : 12-04-2008 at 12:59 AM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:59 AM   #4
eliteballer
NBA lottery pick

Ya, Avery's not a good coach but led the Mavs to the Finals and 67 wins in seperate seasons. Just a coincidence
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
Diesel J
NBA lottery pick

LIke I said before, Devin was never going to do on Dallas what he's now doing on the Nets because now, he gets to look for his shot whenever he wants but on Dallas he was asked to run the show. If you watch him on the Nets, he's not really looking to set anyone up, he's shoot first and then pass second. How would he have gotten these type of attempts on Dallas with Dirk, Terry and J Ho all looking to shoot?
Diesel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
gyu
Good college starter

lol @ avery getting the blame. harris would have never played like this had he stayed in Dallas because he wouldn't be first or second option unless there were some injuries.
gyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #7
Younggrease
Banned

I guess Avery held Steve NAsh back too

honestly imo it was pretty obvious that Harris was capable of this...But I dont know if he isnt one of those players whose effectiveness will go down when he is put around other stars

Last edited by Younggrease : 12-04-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #8
stephanieg
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
Ya, Avery's not a good coach but led the Mavs to the Finals and 67 wins in seperate seasons. Just a coincidence

Basing someone's coaching abilities off accomplishments seems dubious. The Celtics can threepeat for all I care, Doc Rivers still isn't that great a coach. What did Avery contribute to the Mavericks? I honestly don't know, maybe he was great and I'm ignorant. For all I know with a better coach they have a title or two, if we assume coaching actually means that much, which IMO is a dubious proposition by itself.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:09 AM   #9
Diesel J
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyu
lol @ avery getting the blame. harris would have never played like this had he stayed in Dallas because he wouldn't be first or second option unless there were some injuries.

exactly my point
Diesel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:29 AM   #10
StephenDedalus
Banned

If Dallas can get rid of Howard they will be a contender right below Boston and LA.
Right now they are pretenders.
StephenDedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:34 AM   #11
Darius07
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
I guess Avery held Steve NAsh back too

honestly imo it was pretty obvious that Harris was capable of this...But I dont know if he isnt one of those players whose effectiveness will go down when he is put around other stars
Did Nash even play with Avery? I thought he left before he came
Darius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:46 AM   #12
eliteballer
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieg
Basing someone's coaching abilities off accomplishments seems dubious. The Celtics can threepeat for all I care, Doc Rivers still isn't that great a coach. What did Avery contribute to the Mavericks? I honestly don't know, maybe he was great and I'm ignorant. For all I know with a better coach they have a title or two, if we assume coaching actually means that much, which IMO is a dubious proposition by itself.

Wow...that statement is beyond absurd...and Doc gets a lot of heat, but he does have a Coach of the Year award with Orlando
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:51 AM   #13
stephanieg
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
Wow...that statement is beyond absurd...and Doc gets a lot of heat, but he does have a Coach of the Year award with Orlando

I'm not sure why that's absurd. For example, many think Pop is a spectacular coach on some sort of all time level but he probably wouldn't be considered such if he was coach of the Bucks or Bobcats or something. But he wouldn't be any different, would he?
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:55 AM   #14
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius07
Did Nash even play with Avery? I thought he left before he came

that was the point...this isnt the first pg to leave Dirk and all the sudden blow up..

Nash leaves and 2 time MVP
Harris leaves and then he is droppin 47/7/6 on people
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:55 AM   #15
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Coaches get too much praise for winning, and too much blame for losing... but it comes with the job.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: