Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
barkleynash
Local High School Star

barkleynash has decent reputation
Default McDyess with Denver

Can somebody tell me why Antonio didn't want to go to Denver. Was it past bad feelings or what? Man he would be playing quality minutes there right now, behind Nene and Martin. He would be getting 25 minutes a night on what might arguably be the second best team in the western conference.
Chris Anderson as their first big off the bench is the scary spot for them, they could be weak up front with an injury. Keep up the strong play Nene!
barkleynash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
Tuvi
Unknown Legend

Tuvi has an OK reputation so far
Arrow Re: McDyess with Denver

I guess he thinks he has a better chance of winning in Detroit then in Denver, I do not agree
Tuvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
barkleynash
Local High School Star

Default Re: McDyess with Denver

Yeah, I thought Denver was a better team too, he would definately be the difference if he chose Denver. It would be a long 7 game series, hypothetically thinking. I think Billups' leadership may have been underated in Detroit, he kind of kept guys happy. I wonder if Rip is the next guy to go. I am getting tired of his act.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
vincentda
Decent playground baller

vincentda has decent reputationvincentda has decent reputation

McDyess just wants to play 2 more years and doesn't want a new role, new home, new anything. He's a loyal guy. The Pistons want to keep him and he's comfortable with his role in Detroit. That simple.
vincentda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster

He likes Detroit, he's comfortable there, and he has a very good chance of winning a Championship.

I also read that he wants to stay because Detroit was one of the few teams to really take a chance on him (after being bought out by NYK many thought he was an injury bust who would never recover).
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

detsportsfan3 has an OK reputation so far

Because surprisingly there is more to the game than just winning and money. Dice has been in the league for many years and wants to come back and have some fun with his friends in Detroit to end his career. Dice loves the pistons, nuff said.

Last edited by detsportsfan3 : 12-03-2008 at 11:53 PM.
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #7
milehighnuggz
I brick open layups

milehighnuggz has an OK reputation so far

nuggets shouldnt of released him and should of forced him into retirement, haha
milehighnuggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Denver is medicore. They have 3 big men on the roster. One has a bum knee and will be lucky to play 70 games this year. Another has to play limited minutes because of prostate cancer. Why don't you go back until 1980 and then count the # of teams that have won championships without a solid man in the middle?

I'm not sure I agree with his choice to go back to Detroit, but he's obviously comfortable there, and Iverson gives them a chance to be the dark horse this year. They've already beaten Boston and Cleveland. Didn't I see them beat LA as well? I think Kwame had a damn impressive game against his old team IIRC. Maybe I'm wrong about Boston. Maybe I'm thinking of the Lakers. Whatever.. The point is Iverson provides a spark, whereas Billups play has been lacking the last 3 years in the post season. And McDyess will get plenty of minutes in Detroit as well. He will probably end up being a starter. They're pretty thin down low as well, but at least they have Amir Johnson, Maxell, Rasheed, and Kwame if McDyess choose to not come back (unlikely.)

Rasheed is his normal self, extremely talented and unpredictable. Kwame has been more than solid. Maxell really improved last year and provides scoring and energy off the bench, and while I haven't seen him play, Joe Dumars just raves about this Amir Johnson kid.

And don't be surprised if they make another move or two before the trade deadline. Dumars said he wanted to shake this team up. If he's a man of his word, that means more than just bringing in Iverson.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 PM   #9
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

detsportsfan3 has an OK reputation so far

pistons never beat boston
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:55 PM   #10
darabzarrabi
High School JV MVP

darabzarrabi has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Denver is medicore. They have 3 big men on the roster. One has a bum knee and will be lucky to play 70 games this year. Another has to play limited minutes because of prostate cancer. Why don't you go back until 1980 and then count the # of teams that have won championships without a solid man in the middle?

I'm not sure I agree with his choice to go back to Detroit, but he's obviously comfortable there, and Iverson gives them a chance to be the dark horse this year. They've already beaten Boston and Cleveland. Didn't I see them beat LA as well? I think Kwame had a damn impressive game against his old team IIRC. Maybe I'm wrong about Boston. Maybe I'm thinking of the Lakers. Whatever.. The point is Iverson provides a spark, whereas Billups play has been lacking the last 3 years in the post season. And McDyess will get plenty of minutes in Detroit as well. He will probably end up being a starter. They're pretty thin down low as well, but at least they have Amir Johnson, Maxell, Rasheed, and Kwame if McDyess choose to not come back (unlikely.)

Rasheed is his normal self, extremely talented and unpredictable. Kwame has been more than solid. Maxell really improved last year and provides scoring and energy off the bench, and while I haven't seen him play, Joe Dumars just raves about this Amir Johnson kid.

And don't be surprised if they make another move or two before the trade deadline. Dumars said he wanted to shake this team up. If he's a man of his word, that means more than just bringing in Iverson.

Mathius

From a basketball perspective you're right not going to Denver was a dumb move, but as previously stated there are confounding factors like relocating/being away from the family, friends made while in Det, etc. and a guy at the end of the road may be content with making millions and living his life as opposed to getting more PT or a better chance at a ring
darabzarrabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #11
barkleynash
Local High School Star

I wish there were more guys with Antonio's class and integrity.
It is so confusing to be a fan these days when teams are dumping payroll and trying to acquire or trade expiring contracts etc. It is much more difficult to be a GM now than it was 15 years ago.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #12
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by darabzarrabi
From a basketball perspective you're right not going to Denver was a dumb move, but as previously stated there are confounding factors like relocating/being away from the family, friends made while in Det, etc. and a guy at the end of the road may be content with making millions and living his life as opposed to getting more PT or a better chance at a ring

When he made the decision he didnt expect the Pistons to have a rocky transition with the Pistons, he thought of them as a championship contender, and I'm sure he regarded Allen Iverson very highly. He though he was going back to a ready made winner, and didn't expect the Nuggets to look this good with Billups. I remember saying when this trade was made that Denver could be good with him, but I though without Dyess they'd be too thin up front to make much noise. As of now it looks like me and Dyess were wrong. And the worse part is he gave up $6 mil in his buyout with Denver and will only get the veteran's mil ($1 mil) with Detroit. Depending on the contract he gets next year to make up the difference McDyess may have made a really bad business decision.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #13
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleynash
I wish there were more guys with Antonio's class and integrity.
It is so confusing to be a fan these days when teams are dumping payroll and trying to acquire or trade expiring contracts etc. It is much more difficult to be a GM now than it was 15 years ago.

I don't I wish players and teams honored their contracts. If you get traded you're supposed to report, and unless a player actually actually isn't good enough to play or causing problems with the team he doesn't get badmouthed by the team. I feel problems within a team should be private, and if a team wants to get rid of a player they shouldn't try to rip him in the press. If I were the commissioner I would pose substantial fines any time a team or player did this, and would force players who get traded and don't report to be released with no pay instead of being bought out.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:42 AM   #14
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
I don't I wish players and teams honored their contracts. If you get traded you're supposed to report, and unless a player actually actually isn't good enough to play or causing problems with the team he doesn't get badmouthed by the team. I feel problems within a team should be private, and if a team wants to get rid of a player they shouldn't try to rip him in the press. If I were the commissioner I would pose substantial fines any time a team or player did this, and would force players who get traded and don't report to be released with no pay instead of being bought out.

Im sure the players assiociation would go for that...
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:47 AM   #15
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

OneMoreSucka has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
He likes Detroit, he's comfortable there, and he has a very good chance of winning a Championship.
No he doesn't , I mean the nuggets don't either, but still...
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: