Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Da_Realist
College superstar

Da_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation here
Default Is this the year that LeBron becomes known as the world's best player, above Kobe?

Is this the year that Lebron finally wrestles away the "Best Basketball Player on the Planet" title away from Kobe? Damn, dude is balling. And where does DWade fit in? He's probably having an even BETTER year.

Lebron, DWade and Kobe reminds me of the late eighties when Larry, Magic and Michael were out-doing each other every night. I may have to renew my subscription to NBA League Pass
Da_Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Trax416
Great young streetballer

Trax416 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Is this the year...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Realist
Is this the year that Lebron finally wrestles away the "Best Basketball Player on the Planet" title away from Kobe? Damn, dude is balling. And where does DWade fit in? He's probably having an even BETTER year.

Lebron, DWade and Kobe reminds me of the late eighties when Larry, Magic and Michael were out-doing each other every night. I may have to renew my subscription to NBA League Pass

Wade is doing well, but not better then Lebron. Bosh passed him as the second leading scorer in the NBA last night, and Bosh is also averaging more rebounds and has a higher Efficiency rating then Wade.

This is the year that Lebron, Wade and Bosh separate themselves as the next generation of super stars. Taking over for guys like KG, Tim, Kobe, etc..
Trax416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

LeBron has been better than Kobe for seasons now.

More impact on the court, more valuable to his team, relatively better results, better stats. What more is there?
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation

more impact on the court is debatable, and Kobe is less valuable to his team because he has better teammates.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Definitely. Possibly Wade too.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
Da_Realist
College superstar

Da_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation hereDa_Realist has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
more impact on the court is debatable, and Kobe is less valuable to his team because he has better teammates.

What's the deal with Kobe this year? I haven't seen too many of his games but his numbers look...pedestrian. Tired? Deferring to his teammates?
Old 11-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
Godfather
Banned

Godfather is a pretty well-respected posterGodfather is a pretty well-respected posterGodfather is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
What's the deal with Kobe this year? I haven't seen too many of his games but his numbers look...pedestrian. Tired? Deferring to his teammates?

Yes. Just like LeBron has in his last two games Kobe is generally deferring to his teammates and allowing them to win games. However he does have stretches of Kobe time where he takes as many shots as humanly possible.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
Da_Realist
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
Yes. Just like LeBron has in his last two games Kobe is generally deferring to his teammates and allowing them to win games. However he does have stretches of Kobe time where he takes as many shots as humanly possible.

If Kobe does that all year, he'll be fresh for the playoffs.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
hack_a_shaq
Decent playground baller

hack_a_shaq has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Not only that but letting the team carry so weight is good for them. Depending on Kobe all the time is not the answer. Some of these guys need that sense of ability to take over games themselves. I certainly hope Farmar matures...
hack_a_shaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Mdog1
Banned

Mdog1 has decent reputation

Quote:
Doesn't matter he always finds a way to choke.

To answer the OP yes and it is not close between LeBron and Kobe anymore. Wade is second.
Mdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #11
Da_Realist
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack_a_shaq
Not only that but letting the team carry so weight is good for them. Depending on Kobe all the time is not the answer. Some of these guys need that sense of ability to take over games themselves. I certainly hope Farmar matures...

That's the key. Remember when the Lakers were winning championships earlier this decade. Where would they have been without Horry, Fisher, Fox, etc.? Nowhere. If the Lakers use this year to get those "other" players some real confidence in big moments...

A couple notes, though.

Winning so much can be crucial sometimes if the team never had to deal with any real adversity.

Also, can Kobe keep this up all year? This warm-and-fuzzy feeling he has with his team winning without relying so much on him. By April, when everyone is ga-ga over Lebron or Wade or Paul, will that hurt Kobe's ego enough for him to try to do too much?
Old 11-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
That's the key. Remember when the Lakers were winning championships earlier this decade. Where would they have been without Horry, Fisher, Fox, etc.? Nowhere. If the Lakers use this year to get those "other" players some real confidence in big moments...

A couple notes, though.

Winning so much can be crucial sometimes if the team never had to deal with any real adversity.

Also, can Kobe keep this up all year? This warm-and-fuzzy feeling he has with his team winning without relying so much on him. By April, when everyone is ga-ga over Lebron or Wade or Paul, will that hurt Kobe's ego enough for him to try to do too much?

Honestly, I don't think he cares as much. He doesn't seem to. He seems alot different then from a few years ago. Plus, its not like Kobe is just not going to have any big games that wow the media. He'll occassionaly drop games in the high 30s, low 40s maybe. I don't think the regular season matters much to him right now. Now, what I can see happening is Kobe getting frustrated during the playoffs if they have to deal with alot of adversity against a team, and start taking long fade-away three-pointers. I could also see his ego getting hurt if someone like Pau Gasol wins Finals MVP.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
Honestly, I don't think he cares as much. He doesn't seem to. He seems alot different then from a few years ago. Plus, its not like Kobe is just not going to have any big games that wow the media. He'll occassionaly drop games in the high 30s, low 40s maybe. I don't think the regular season matters much to him right now. Now, what I can see happening is Kobe getting frustrated during the playoffs if they have to deal with alot of adversity against a team, and start taking long fade-away three-pointers. I could also see his ego getting hurt if someone like Pau Gasol wins Finals MVP.

Why don't you think he cares as much? Wouldn't he feel angry if the majority felt Wade and LeBron are better than him at this point? He wants to be the best, remember.

Agree with you on the Paul Gasol point, but is that really a bad thing? All competive players that want to be the best probably want to win the Finals MVP everytime as well, right? If a player wants to be the GOAT anyways.

Last edited by Heilige : 11-27-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
guy
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
Why don't you think he cares as much? Wouldn't he feel angry if the majority felt Wade and LeBron are better than him at this point? He wants to be the best, remember.

He's older, that's why. Plus if its better for the team, and it results in a title, everyone will point right back to Kobe as the best.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
guy
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige

Agree with you on the Paul Gasol point, but is that really a bad thing? All competive players that want to be the best probably want to win the Finals MVP everytime as well, right? If a player wants to be the GOAT anyways.

No, its not necessarily a bad thing. As long as he's not putting that as his first priority. For example, in 2004, it looked like his first priority was to win Finals MVP, not win a title no matter what.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: