Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-22-2008, 06:49 AM   #31
Solid Snake
Local High School Star

Solid Snake is starting to rub some people the wrong waySolid Snake is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Marbury turns down offer to play Friday night

If Marbury still has the skills to play, why won't they play him?

Rock.
Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #32
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Understand and have no problem with him not playing. Kinda wish he did though.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #33
repgreek
Can barely lace up my sneakers

repgreek has an OK reputation so far

Funny. Marbury is Jesus now. When he left his team high and dry last year by abandoning them early in the season he was a joke. Now he's a 22 million $ sympathetic figure. Heh.
repgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #34
Allstar24
NBA lottery pick

Allstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation here

How convenient...now they want to give him minutes and what, they expected him to jump at the opportunity? D'Antoni is such a prick.
Allstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #35
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by repgreek
Funny. Marbury is Jesus now. When he left his team high and dry last year by abandoning them early in the season he was a joke. Now he's a 22 million $ sympathetic figure. Heh.

The knock on Marbury always was his playing style and his questionable intelligence.

Otherwise he is and always was a pretty classy stand up guy, way more classy than most of the guys in the league considering his business ventures.

Nothing has changed. He's still a potential cancer on the court that is not to be given too much freedom or too big of a leadership role, but he's not a guy that deserves any hate other than on his playing style.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #36
dreaming121
Kids at the park dunk on me

dreaming121 has not been impressing people

Marbury should've swallowed his pride and played. I mean he could've shown them that he isn't a cancer and can play a team game. More teams would've been interested on his services. He could get a decent contract too when his contract expires.

If he won't get to play until his contract expires. They'll base off his worth with his past plays when he was a cancer, which won't give him a big contract.

He had everything to gain and nothing to lose on that offer!
dreaming121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #37
NOHCP3
Pelican Brief

NOHCP3 is popular on this boardNOHCP3 is popular on this boardNOHCP3 is popular on this boardNOHCP3 is popular on this boardNOHCP3 is popular on this board

I've never liked Marbury but I hate what D'antoni and the Knicks are doing here. I hope the buy out comes soon. You guys have to realize there is a reason why they dont want Marbury to play. If he was going to be so much more of a positive teammate and a better player for another team why hasnt anybody traded for him? He's a liability. He's paying for his past sins. That being said they should have bought him out during week 1 of the season.

Marbury shouldnt have played. But I dont know why everyone's so upset. He shouldnt have expected to play under Mike D at all. The bridge that they had burned long before Mike D signed on to coach the Knicks.
NOHCP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #38
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

You guys have some messed up opinions on this one. Marbury gets paid $267,530 per game, and is such a psycho that they can't rely on him to contribute anything positive at all. If they want him to play, not play, do the team laundry, whatever, he better ****ing do it.

If you ask a player to play and he says no - no matter the reason - you should be able to rip his contract in half and stop the checks from coming. A complete shame that the players' union is so strong that the Knicks are forced to pay the psycho that kind of cash for a game he refused to help out in. "Uh.... ok well just thought I'd ask... here's your $200k for the night anyway."
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #39
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

He's a complete malcontent. What's with all the "good job". THis is someone who has the talent to be a surefire hall of famer and won't be remembered 20 seconds after he retires.

What's good about this?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #40
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
You guys have some messed up opinions on this one. Marbury gets paid $267,530 per game, and is such a psycho that they can't rely on him to contribute anything positive at all. If they want him to play, not play, do the team laundry, whatever, he better ****ing do it.

If you ask a player to play and he says no - no matter the reason - you should be able to rip his contract in half and stop the checks from coming. A complete shame that the players' union is so strong that the Knicks are forced to pay the psycho that kind of cash for a game he refused to help out in. "Uh.... ok well just thought I'd ask... here's your $200k for the night anyway."
As Marbury said, he's not the one that determines who does and does not get to play. If Marbury had been ordered to play and refused I would agree with you, but D'Antoni asked him if he wanted to and Marbury said no. It's D'Antoni's fault for being cute about it and trying to make Marbury look like an even bigger jerk than he already does. D'Antoni knew that, with the history he has with Marbury, benching him in favor of obviously inferior players and then only turning to him now when they (A) have no one else and (b) are in an obvious tank mode with no plans for Marbury in their future that his "do you wanna play" request was going to be taken as an insult. But this is not a case of disobedience. If it was, NY would be fining and/or suspending Marbury for insubordination. This is just Marbury being a dick in response to D'Antoni being a dick.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #41
big baller
(-_-)(X_X)BB(9_9)(^_^)

big baller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbig baller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbig baller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbig baller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbig baller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbig baller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbig baller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbig baller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbig baller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

big baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #42
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
I would have turned it down too. Kind of a "Oh now you want me?" situation. As soon as the new guys come he'd go right back to not playing. No thanks.

i agree. though he is under a contract still to play, they are dogging him.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #43
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

"I didn't want to embarass him with spot minutes................."

Does anyone think that this situation is more embarrassing than giving him spot minutes? Love the way D'Antoni spins the whole things, speaking about the "direction of the team" and him not being "part of the plan." Would love to know what was said behind closed doors before the season

I don't blame Marbury, in this instance. Coach hasn't wanted him around all season and NOW he wants him?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #44
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
I would have turned it down too. Kind of a "Oh now you want me?" situation. As soon as the new guys come he'd go right back to not playing. No thanks.

and how much is he getting paid to do whatever the knicks want him to do? if i were the knicks i'd fine him for refusing to play, but i understand that is not going to happen. fck starbury.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #45
Diesel J
NBA lottery pick

Diesel J has decent reputationDiesel J has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
"I didn't want to embarass him with spot minutes................."

Does anyone think that this situation is more embarrassing than giving him spot minutes?

I think so
Diesel J is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: