Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
ukballer
NBA rookie of the year

Default Anthony Morrow 'The Real Deal'

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ml?eref=si_nba

Quote:
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Anthony Morrow can still walk without incident from his downtown hotel to the BART trains that sometimes take him to the Golden State Warriors' arena. Most of Oakland's famously enthusiastic hoops fans haven't yet put a face to the name that hit their favorite team's starting lineup like a thunderbolt last weekend.

After back-to-back dazzling games in his first two NBA starts, the undrafted rookie from Georgia Tech probably won't be unknown much longer. Morrow followed up his 37-point starting debut against the Clippers last Saturday with 25 more Tuesday night against Portland in a game that began with a standing ovation.

Not every Warriors fan knows his face yet, but they can't wait to see what Morrow will do next.

"We're the only real basketball team around in a city that loves basketball, so that's great for us," Morrow said. "It's exciting to get that kind of reception for what you do."

Just a few weeks after Morrow was wondering whether he'd have to play in Ukraine this winter, he is Golden State's starting shooting guard. Corey Maggette and captain Stephen Jackson already see him as an equal, and coach Don Nelson is talking about building parts of his famed offense around Morrow.

"He's the real deal, and we haven't even learned how to play with him yet," Nelson said. "I told the team that we'd better know where this guy is at all times. We'd better get him open, because he looks like the real deal."

Nelson suspected he had something special in Morrow since July, when he looked good on Golden State's summer league team. Still, Morrow was the final man to make Golden State's roster last month, and his agent was making contingency plans in Ukraine.

Morrow hadn't done much until last Saturday, when he set the NBA record for points by an undrafted rookie making his first start. That breakout game against the Clippers was an out-of-nowhere stunner made all the more unlikely by its Saturday afternoon setting in front of a listless Staples Center crowd.

"Who was that guy?" Baron Davis said. "He came out of nowhere. He got hot, he got hot, he got hot."

By the final minutes of his 15-for-20 shooting performance, the Los Angeles fans were chanting the name of a player almost nobody had heard of just two hours earlier. His teammates then gave him a standing ovation in the locker room.

"It's not a hard game to play," Morrow said of the Warriors' pell-mell offense. "Everybody doesn't need a lot of moves. That's what the coaches tell me. I just keep it as simple as I can."

Morrow showed similar efficiency against the Trail Blazers, scoring his 25 points on 8-for-12 shooting that included four 3-pointers. He even sat out most of the final seven minutes while Nelson played his veterans, but returned to hit three straight free throws with 5.6 seconds left in Golden State's 111-106 win.

"We needed some help, and he's been giving us the help we need," Jackson said. "I'm happy he's coming on like this. He's getting less than 15 shots and getting a high number of points, which is what we need. We're all just giving him support."

Morrow was a solid player at Georgia Tech, leading the ACC in 3-point shooting as a senior and setting a school record for career free-throw percentage, but he had little more than a perimeter game that didn't draw much attention from the NBA. He thinks his low profile has been an advantage in his pro career's earliest stages.

"There's not really any pressure, because none of the guys put pressure on me," Morrow said. "They just tell me to play off of them, and just do what I do."

Morrow's emergence suddenly has solved several lineup problems for Nelson, who is still tinkering with the spare parts left from last season's 48-win team after Davis' defection to the Clippers and Monta Ellis' extended absence with an injured leg from crashing his motorized scooter.

If Morrow can be a consistent outside threat, Nelson is free to play Maggette at power forward in a small Golden State lineup that causes nightmarish matchup problems for most opponents.

For instance, Maggette was too quick for Portland's LaMarcus Aldridge, who fouled out in 19 minutes. Morrow's spot-up shooting alongside Jackson also will prevent many teams from playing zone defense against Golden State.

"It's not just him scoring," Nelson said. "It's the threat of him scoring. You see guys flying at him. When he comes around a screen, both [defenders] are up on him now. It just opens the court for other people, and if we learn how to negotiate that, it [will create] a lot of openings for a lot of different people.

"They're going to have to pay an awful lot of attention to him," Nelson added. "I think the guy can do that every day."

I don't see a lot of the Warriors, but damn I'm excited to see how this kid develops.

Is this high praise coming too early on after only 2 games? Can he stay grounded? Will this new expectation weigh on his shoulders?
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Smokee
Banned

Default Re: Anthony Morrow 'The Real Deal'

I think he's the real deal. I didn't even know he led the ACC in 3pt shooting and school record for FT% which kind of reinforces his game. Baron i think tried to downplay him as just a 2 game wonder, but his stroke looks smooth and is always inside of rim.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
LJJ
Extra Cheese

You can't possibly hate on a undrafted player performing. I hope he becomes one of those great third options, but he'll be a fine NBA player at least.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

I find the double standards around here hilarious. I've seen some people make claims, based off of one game or two and they get pelted with sh!t, but now this guy is getting very high praise after only 2 good games. Sure, it's good what he is doing, but call me when he can keep this up and he shows that he can do this on a nightly basis. He's going to come back down to earth soon and most people will forget all about him.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
bonez26
Local High School Star

His game reminds me of Michael Redd. Has a nice shooting stroke. He'll be a serviceable guy for years to come...although I don't know about becoming a star. There's always a slight possiblity...but I see him as a role playing Starter or 6th man.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
I find the double standards around here hilarious. I've seen some people make claims, based off of one game or two and they get pelted with sh!t, but now this guy is getting very high praise after only 2 good games. Sure, it's good what he is doing, but call me when he can keep this up and he shows that he can do this on a nightly basis. He's going to come back down to earth soon and most people will forget all about him.

Undrafted kid going 37-11 in his second NBA game is very special.

Why hate?
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

Its called streak shooting. His numbers will collapse eventually.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Undrafted kid going 37-11 in his second NBA game is very special.

Why hate?
Not hating. I agree that it's special, but he's going to come back down to earth and most people will forget about him.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
bonez26
Local High School Star

He'll probably average out to a 14 ppg 5 reb and 1-2 apg type player.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
quasimoto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbulHassan
What if this guy turns out to be the GOAT ...
Then every single GM should just throw in the towel and retire.
quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #12
guy
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbulHassan
What if this guy turns out to be the GOAT ...

LOL I was thinking the same thing. I highly doubt that would happen, but imagine if it did. This would put the 'Jordan not making his varsity high school team' story to shame.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #13
WorldWarriors
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
Its called streak shooting. His numbers will collapse eventually.

He's not a streak shooter. He's a pure shooter. He's had that shot through college, all through summer league and into the pros. But that still doesn't mean his numbers won't go down. Just depends on the matchups and who can guard him and the minutes. Nellie pulled him for most of the 4th in that Portland game because he was showing signs of fatigue. The game itself still seems to overwhelm him a bit.

It was the other aspects of his game that he had to work on before Nellie would put him on the court. He had to improve as an NBA player. Nellie said he was the worst one on the break when he first got there but he's worked his way up. Hopefully, he continues to work hard and improve.

GMs tend to look at kids who of course went to schools that were in the NCAA tournament and highly athletic kids.
WorldWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Was ISH like this when Flip Murray went off, after filling in for Ray Allen a few years ago?
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #15
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Yes Dasher.
reppy is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: