Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #31
Godfather
Banned

Godfather is a pretty well-respected posterGodfather is a pretty well-respected posterGodfather is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Trade idea: Boozer for Kaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi
Now that Kaman is becoming more available, what do we think of the trade idea now?

I floated this idea back in July. I think it was deleted in the main forum though.

From the team forums:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...78#post2373778
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27

I wonder why?

Boozer>Kaman
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #32
mattreis62
Good High School Starter

mattreis62 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
Boozer>>>>>>>>>>Kaman. Even thought Kaman is good, Boozer would be more helpful to the Jazz then Kaman would.

He won't be too helpful if he's on another team next year. The Jazz should try to get something for him if they really think he's going to walk.
mattreis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #33
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Luigi has decent reputationLuigi has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
I wonder why?

Boozer>Kaman

In general response to many replies, I hereby offer a rubric to understand trade proposals.

1. Trades proposals are not simply "which player is better" proposals.
2. Consider the financial situation of each team involved and how long the contracts being traded are.
3. Consider the depth chart and playing style of each team involved.
4. Consider the marketablility of each player on their new team.
5. Consider each team's current standing in their conference.

For the Boozer/Kaman offer
1. A few Clippers fans seem to like Kaman more than Bozoer. Kaman plays defense. Boozer can score more.
2. Utah has multiple free agents to deal with this summer and not a lot of money.
-Boozer has 1-2 years left on his contract.
-Kaman is locked up for 4 more.
3. LA has would have Camby to cover Boozer on D and Boozer to attack the rim on the other end. Utah could really use Kaman's inside defense.
4. ...
5. Utah is looking to go big this year. Adding Kaman might not make them better now...so that could be a reason against it. LA probably loves Kaman more anyway.
6. LAC is hurting right now. Davis and Boozer would be a great combo offensively. Not sure they would like to see another Duke PF walk though.

We all know some people think player A is >>>>>>>>>>> than very similar talent level player B...but common, use your head. Trades are about chemistry, finances, position, and roles.
Luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #34
craiye
Local High School Star

craiye has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi
In general response to many replies, I hereby offer a rubric to understand trade proposals.

1. Trades proposals are not simply "which player is better" proposals.
2. Consider the financial situation of each team involved and how long the contracts being traded are.
3. Consider the depth chart and playing style of each team involved.
4. Consider the marketablility of each player on their new team.
5. Consider each team's current standing in their conference.

For the Boozer/Kaman offer
1. A few Clippers fans seem to like Kaman more than Bozoer. Kaman plays defense. Boozer can score more.
2. Utah has multiple free agents to deal with this summer and not a lot of money.
-Boozer has 1-2 years left on his contract.
-Kaman is locked up for 4 more.
3. LA has would have Camby to cover Boozer on D and Boozer to attack the rim on the other end. Utah could really use Kaman's inside defense.
4. ...
5. Utah is looking to go big this year. Adding Kaman might not make them better now...so that could be a reason against it. LA probably loves Kaman more anyway.
6. LAC is hurting right now. Davis and Boozer would be a great combo offensively. Not sure they would like to see another Duke PF walk though.

We all know some people think player A is >>>>>>>>>>> than very similar talent level player B...but common, use your head. Trades are about chemistry, finances, position, and roles.

True enough. There are a LOT of reasons for the Jazz to pull the trigger on a trade like this, regardless of how many >>>> you want to put between Boozer and Kaman.

Okur has shown that he can step up and take a bigger offensive role while still guiding the Jazz to wins. He did in when Boozer was injured and got to play in the All Star game as a result.

The Jazz have NO shotblockers on the inside. AK is a nice help defender who can pick up bocks. Milsap can block shots okay, but he's too small to really man the paint. Boozer is a terrible defender in all aspects. Okur is a decent man to man defender but can't block a shot to save his life.

Kaman would be able to rebound as well as Boozer, provide some interior scoring and man D up. This would make it much, much easier on Utah as a whole. Why do you think they foul at the highest rate in the league? It's because no one can stop dribble penetration. There's no shot blocking threat, so you either foul your guy as he runs past you to prevent the dunk or one of the bigs does it after he gets past. Those are the options. Sloan doesn't allow easy dunks.

Also, on offense the Jazz just have to rely on Okur to step things up a bit. AK would get to play more PF, which he loves. Plus keeping Okur and trading for Kaman allows them to play a much bigger line up. This also keeps the offense pretty similar since you still have an inside/outside threat from the PF (Okur) and C (Kaman). If it's Boozer/Kaman as some said would be better then you lose your floor spacing, as well as one of your best cluch shooters in Okur.

The last part that helps Utah is the salary. Keeping Kaman for around 8 million less/year is HUGE in a small market like SLC. They'd be able to resign Okur and keep Milsap AND AK. If they keep Boozer/Okur, one or both of Milsap and AK will probably be gone next year. They just don't have the money to keep them together. That in itself makes it worth it to me. Think about it: Okur/Boozer/Milsap/AK is MUCH better in my mind than Boozer/Okur/Milsap or Boozer/Okur/AK or just Boozer/Okur.

As has also been pointed out, pulling off a trade like this also eliminates the worry over whether Boozer is staying or going.
craiye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #35
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_10957746

Quote:
The Clippers did have a brief talk with the Charlotte Bobcats involving Chris Kaman, coach and general manager Mike Dunleavy confirmed today, but the discussion died rather quickly.

Quote:
``Everybody who understands the NBA understands it's a dance,'' Dunleavy said. ``This one started out by somebody saying I like your guy. ... (and being informed) Oh, you don't want to dance with me? ``They got the rejection and then they threw it out, `Hey I almost had a dance with somebody.' ''

Quote:
The Clippers aren't looking to make any deals until the team starts to come together around Baron Davis. After 15 or 20 games, when it becomes more clear what's working and what's not, they might be more open to such discussions, if there was something they felt they needed.

Damn Peter Vescey looks more and more like an idiot
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #36
MastahX
I eat dead people

MastahX has decent reputation

Dumb thread - end it.

Boozer is way better than Kaman. You're not a very bright Jazz fan are you?
MastahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #37
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastahX
Dumb thread - end it.

yes but boozer prbably will leave utah anyway in 1 year
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #38
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastahX
Dumb thread - end it.

You are a moron.

Trade ideas are not "which player is better" threads.
They involve a mixture of contracts, team finances, chemistry, roles, and coaching style.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #39
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster

Well.... I mean, you do have to agree. Boozer is plainly better than Kaman.

I could realistically see it working for both teams though. I still maintain Kaman + Gordon would be a good trade for Boozer. LA should be looking at a prooven cornerstone for a big 3 like Michael Redd or Stephen Jackson once Cutino expires.. not the hopes of developing Gordon while Davis gets older.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #40
mercury
Can barely lace up my sneakers

mercury has an OK reputation so far

A 3 page thread for a trade that's not possible... Kaman has a 15% trade kicker... the Jazz can't swing that.
mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #41
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
A 3 page thread for a trade that's not possible... Kaman has a 15% trade kicker... the Jazz can't swing that.

I learned about the trade restriction from the same thread I began in the Clippers board last summer. It makes things more difficult, but it isn't impossible.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:03 AM   #42
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Memo for Camby is basically the only deal I would consider involving the Jazz.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: