Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-14-2014, 01:55 AM   #12331
Angel Face
Caped Baldy

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I hated both of those as you could see in my worst movies list.

Wow, you hated pacific rim? One of the most entertaining movies last year, Now you see me is a good movie too. You probably love movies like twilight
Angel Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:56 AM   #12332
Jnr Jnr
Banned

Jnr Jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #12333
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
I hated both of those as you could see in my worst movies list.
With Pacific Rim, I got exactly what I expected, giant robots vs. giant monsters and bunch of cheesy lines.
Now You See Me pleasantly surprised me, but ending was a bit over the top tho...

Watched Gravity yesterday, 7/10.
Would probably be higher if I watched it in 3d instead of my PC...

Other movies I watched recently
V for Vendetta - 9/10
About Time 7.5/10
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 8/10
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 8/10
In Bruges 8.5/10
Red 7/10
Red 2 6.5/10
The Expendables 2 6.5/10
The Intouchables 9/10
Prisoners 8/10 - Jake Gyllenhaal was great.
Fight Club 10/10 - Watched it as a kid, didn't understand most of the stuff, rewatched it now and it's a ****ing brilliant movie...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #12334
FrobeShaw
Banned

I'd just like to say the two most overrated and overpraised films by the internet are In Bruges and Eternal Sunshine. I'm not say they're bad or even close to not being great, but their hype is embarrassing sometimes. Sorry for that. I just saw the former and I got a bit riled up.
FrobeShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:09 AM   #12335
Selenium
Good High School Starter

Hmmm...good scores based on what I've seen. I think I agree with most of your scores, within about a one point or so approximation.

I'd rate Gravity higher.
Selenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:12 AM   #12336
Selenium
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrobeShaw
I'd just like to say the two most overrated and overpraised films by the internet are In Bruges and Eternal Sunshine. I'm not say they're bad or even close to not being great, but their hype is embarrassing sometimes. Sorry for that. I just saw the former and I got a bit riled up.

If you want to make that case about In Bruges...OK. But Eternal Sunshine? No. Deserves every bit of praise that it gets.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:13 AM   #12337
Patrick Chewing
GO NY GO NY GO!

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

10/10

It seems that Peter Jackson does his best work on the second installment of his Tolkien trilogies. The Two Towers to me was the most intense of the LOTR Trilogy and he does it again with The Desolation of Smaug. As an avid fan, a lot of these movies is just the cast walking and running around trying to get somewhere. With Smaug and just like in The Two Towers before, there is less of traveling and more confrontation between good and evil. Not to mention the cinematography and visuals which were also amazing as seen when Bilbo and the Dwarves finally enter the mountain.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:16 AM   #12338
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
I don't know about the hype, just watched it recently, not even sure how I heard about it.
How would you rate it?

Didn't watch Eternal Sunshine yet, will probably in the next few days.
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:21 AM   #12339
FrobeShaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
I don't know about the hype, just watched it recently, not even sure how I heard about it.
How would you rate it?

Didn't watch Eternal Sunshine yet, will probably in the next few days.

In Bruges is beautifully shot, the characters are whimsical and the modern fairy-tale motif is fun. When it appears on lists of "funniest films of all time" then I feel like people are talking out of their ass. These same people shit on toilet humor and act like they're above it but try to claim "fat American" and "midget" jokes are the height of subtlety and intelligence.

Eternal Sunshine needs no introduction. If you ever got into a discussion with people who swear by it, you'll laugh at the hyperbole being thrown around.

Both are great films, make no mistake about that.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:40 AM   #12340
Selenium
Good High School Starter

But Eternal Sunshine IS one of the best movies ever.

I understand if you had higher expectations due to internet hype or what have you...A good movie is a good movie. Doesn't matter how hyped up it gets. I've noticed something. There's this weird thing going on.

If a movie doesn't meet up to our expectations, we discredit it. It's a strange sort of ebb and flow.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:41 AM   #12341
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Face
Wow, you hated pacific rim? One of the most entertaining movies last year, Now you see me is a good movie too. You probably love movies like twilight

Please tell me the 2014 cast has more to offer than this.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:43 AM   #12342
FrobeShaw
Banned

Quote:
Please tell me the 2014 cast has more to offer than this.

Explain how Pacific Rim is one of the worst films you've seen the past year or whatever it is. What were your issues, considering you went in with an open mind ready to enjoy a brainless blockbuster. Exactly what went wrong? How did you go into this coming out hating it? You'd have to go in hating, at best.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:00 AM   #12343
Wavves
Blaze it up fgt

Any really good horror movies that any of you enjoyed? Just something fun to watch with the family
Wavves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:01 AM   #12344
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Explain how Pacific Rim is one of the worst films you've seen the past year or whatever it is. What were your issues, considering you went in with an open mind ready to enjoy a brainless blockbuster. Exactly what went wrong? How did you go into this coming out hating it? You'd have to go in hating, at best.

Well, the CGI fight fest didn't do for me as much as I hoped. If you are in a theater and decide that you don't care for the whole purpose of the movie, it starts feeling like a giant steaming piece of crap really fast. I did go in with an open mind, but I didn't go in expecting to love it. I expected a better version of Transformers and with the reviews the movie got, I started getting a little more excited for it. With few exceptions, I found all attempts at humor terribly unfunny. When it wasn't trying to be humorous, it seemed like it was trying to be 'dark' and 'gritty,' but with such a silly concept, dark and gritty didn't work for me. It made me long for Transformers, which is sad since I didn't like Transformers (enough so that I never watched the sequels). There were also a lot of set up things that they seemed to throw out the window. The biggest one of those is that in the intro narration, Charlie Hunnam talked about them becoming these big name celebrities, but not once did that concept be even briefly touched on during the rest of the movie as far as I can remember. He even went into construction work like any normal Joe and nobody seemed to acknowledge that he was a fallen celebrity. Speaking of Charlie Hunnam, his acting was atrocious in this. He could not keep his accent consistent throughout the whole movie. In this one movie, Hunnam slipped into his natural accent more than he has in 6 seasons of SOA, which makes me question why the director didn't have him re-shoot a line whenever he did that. I wonder if it is because Del Toro may not have an ear for English vs American accents because he is Spanish. There were more reasons I hated it as I walked away from the theater, but I can't recall them all. Like I said though, the moment you stop caring about the giants fighting, you might as well throw the rest of the movie in the trash. Idris Elba gave his all though.

Last edited by Myth : 01-14-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:03 AM   #12345
FrobeShaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavves
Any really good horror movies that any of you enjoyed? Just something fun to watch with the family

cloverfield
dawn of the dead (remake for fun, original for campy fun)
28 days later
the Thing
Chernobyl diaries (bad movie but fun to watch in a group)
REC

Basically, try anything shakycam that's horror.

Myth, I'm going for a smoke but I will reply to that.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: