Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #31
highwhey

Default Re: Tony Soprano's character was an underrated comedy genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBlackDude
artie was right on the money. tony did the same exact thing to davey scatino in season 2. at the end of the bust out, davey asks him something along the lines of 'you tried to warn me, but i didn't listen. why did you let me play in that game (the executive game)?' and tony responds with something like 'i knew you had this store.'

that same episode (everybody hurts?) tony is having dinner at vesuvio with janice, artie comes over, offers some of that french wine but janice wants a glass of something really expensive. tony ends up getting a whole bottle for the table, of course telling artie to put it on his tab.

ton knew exactly how that situation was gonna play out- he gets his $50k back, with interest and he gets rid of his $6k tab at vesuvio. 4-d chess.

the story revolves around the great dickie moltisanti and the newark riots. cast is looking good so far. a young tony will be featured.
https://deadline.com/2019/01/the-sop...se-1202539160/

it's James Gandolfini's son
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:40 PM   #32
highwhey

that was 1 episode btw, next episode, Tony wakes up from a coma, he is scheduled to have surgey the following day, yet they bring him dinner despite his yelling that he can't have food. so he moves the food tray towards Bobby and nods his head at him. Bobby takes the food without any contesting - give the food to the next fat guy in the room i guess
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:15 AM   #33
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
You're definitely right about Carmela. She doesn't get bought up much because she's not involved in all the pieces of the show people remember, but her, and Dr. Melfi, are huge reasons why Tony is such a great character. The humanized elements of Tony are formed with his interactions with these two women, which is what makes him have the impact in the more eventful stuff.

Uncle June as well is a beautifully built character that Tony gets to play off of.

And Moltasanti is a bit uneven, but still a pretty meaty character over the course of the series.

But Highwey's claim of the show being Top Heavy still makes sense It might not be quite as top heavy as it feels. But a ton of the gang can come off as one note caricatures .
RIP Nancy Marchand, another great character, Livia Soprano
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #34
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan

Definitely her too. She actually lived in the same town as me when I was a kid. She was a crusty old grouch. Her house was on the corner of a street where my friend lived, that led to an elementary school and firehouse that had basketball courts. She'd spend most of the day yelling at kids running across the corner of her yard as they went up and down the street. Her yard did have a little radiused corner of dirt path where everyone cut by.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:04 AM   #35
Andrei89
#HEATNATION

When Christopher comes into his "office" and Tony is cleaning dog shit from shoes. This was right after everyone suspected Adriana giving Tony a blowjob in the car.

Then he proceeds on telling Christopher to be realistic. How Chris is below average looking and Adriana is perfect 10, a knockout. Then he tells Chris to throw the ear wax thingies full of dogs shit in the trash. So cold.

How he laughs at the Ginny Sack joke that Ralphie made. Everyone was laughing including Tony. Then when Johnny Sack found out Tony is all upset at Ralphie and straight up lies in Ralphie's face saying he never laughed at the joke and that it is appalling.

Love his character but after 3rd rewatch you notice how he is truly the most awful person on the show. And just when you think there is one person he never insulted or was an asshole to (Hesh), season 6 comes where he starts treating Hesh like a beggar and a scum everytime he shows up because Tony owes him money.

edit : One of my favourite lines is when he tells Carlo " Maybe you should start sucking cawk because Vito brought in three times the amount of money from construction"

Last edited by Andrei89 : 01-30-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #36
Andrei89
#HEATNATION

Quote:

Livia Soprano was the second best character on the show after Tony. It is a shame she died. She begged the producers to be kept on the show after she wa supposed to be killed off in season 1 already.

She died unfortunately RIP. They were supposed to make a 3rd season focused on her testifying against Tony. I would not have minded having Livia around for 6 seasons. She stole every scene she was in.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #37
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei89
Livia Soprano was the second best character on the show after Tony. It is a shame she died. She begged the producers to be kept on the show after she wa supposed to be killed off in season 1 already.

She died unfortunately RIP. They were supposed to make a 3rd season focused on her testifying against Tony. I would not have minded having Livia around for 6 seasons. She stole every scene she was in.
Yeah, and David Chase's inspiration for Livia was his own mom, lol. Doesn't seem like a very good mother if you ask me.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #38
Andrei89
#HEATNATION

Quote:
Yeah, and David Chase's inspiration for Livia was his own mom, lol. Doesn't seem like a very good mother if you ask me.

Definitely lol.

“I could stick this fork in your eye”

However there is also the plausible theory that all of Tony’s issue stem from his father who was an abuse, psychopat violent criminal.

6 seasons of therapy and Tony did not get better. Both Melfi and Tony failed. They focused so much on Livia being evil and treated Johnny as a saint. Melfi should have focused more on Tony’s dad.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #39
Smoke117
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

In the end, Ralphie was the greatest when it came to laughs. I was so fukking annoyed when Tony killed him over stupid goddamn horse way back then. The show had killed off such a great character.
Smoke117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #40
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
In the end, Ralphie was the greatest when it came to laughs. I was so fukking annoyed when Tony killed him over stupid goddamn horse way back then. The show had killed off such a great character.
Agree

Richie Aprile was another one that was killed off too soon, along with Big Pussy
Old 01-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #41
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117

so you randomly throw in huge spoilers? fcking idiot
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: