Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Default Denver and knicks/ bargs pick.

I hold out some hope that the nuggets and knicks will both be horrible next year and we somehow can get a top 5 pick.
    In a stacked conference Denver may decide to totally hit the reset button.
    The knicks, if they can't get the guys they want in free agency may struggle as well, but I have a feeling they could do a quick turnaround.

Thoughts.
    Around this time next year we will have a better idea. We could maybe pull off a trade at next years deadline with 1 or both of our picks.

Default Re: Denver and knicks/ bargs pick.

I don't think the Nuggets will be that bad to the point where we get a top 5 pick. I do think that we will get a good player in the lottery though.

IMO we desperately need a legit CENTER. I wish dudes like DJ grew on trees. lol... or that we had gotten lucky like the Heat and taken the chance on Whiteside.

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    IMO we desperately need a legit CENTER. I wish dudes like DJ grew on trees. lol... or that we had gotten lucky like the Heat and taken the chance on Whiteside.

How much more legit of a Center do you want than JV?

PF and SF are the positions we need to look at.

JV isn't a Center. He's a PF that plays C because of team needs. We need a rim protector.

Val is going to keep getting better. I don't think he is going to be replaced anytime soon. What we need is a F/C type that can back him up and play beside him. I really don't think the raps do anything big this offseason. One more year of filling gaps.

If they let Lou walk and resign amir, they have some money to bring in somebody else of significance.
    Draft the best player available, pick up a another big and continue to progress. What till 2016 where they have 2 first rounders and cap space.

I want amir on a one year overpaid deal so they have room in 2016.

Having a rim protector doesn't mean that JV needs to be replaced. Look at BG and DJ. Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph. Monroe and Drummond. Joakim Noah and Pau Gasol. It's called an enhancement, not a replacement. JV can't do it alone and sometimes we have unfavorable matchups down low with him being our only real line of defense at the rim and opposing offenses take advantage of that.

I agree with you bokes. To get into that championship status, we need another big. Finding him is the hard part. I think our best bet might be to eventually trade Ross with a first rounder to try to get him, whoever it may be.

I have a feeling our summer will be fairly conservative though.
    I am all for bringing in an Ed Davis type, draft a defensive minded back-up point guard and bring back Lou and Amir.
    Play it out one more season and then make all the big decisions in the summer of 2016. You will have two first rounders next summer. With maybe, one of them being a top ten pick, with a little luck.

lowry, vaz Back-up Point guard in draft
    Derozen, Lou
    JJ/Ross Caboclo/Daniels
    Amir/2Pat Hays
    Val Ed Davis Bebe

If you can get Amir/Davis and Lou to sign one year deals you would have some cap space for a big splash in 2016.
    Last edited by barkleynash; 02-01-2015 at 01:45 PM.

It's funny you mention Ed Davis, because when he became an UFA last summer I thought, he was all sad to leave here and he was doing great for us so maybe we can sign him to either start alongside Val or back up Amir. Then when I heard he signed with LA I thought "well, I guess he went over there for a bigger role and a bigger contract." Then when I found out he got a 2 year Vet minimum contract (for basically 1M/year) I was pretty pissed that we didn't even consider him as an option.

Then I found out we had a chance to sign Whiteside but we passed on him (hindsight is 20/20 though).

But yeah, personally I would like if we were able to keep both Lou and Amir for reasonable deals.

I really like Ed in our second unit running pick and roll with Vaz. He is 6'10 and can definitely play back-up center if need be against other teams third and fourth bigs.

We should have enough cap space to bring back Lou and Amir and Ed Davis.
    And Chuck on Vet min.

Would Ross and our two first rounders in 15 and 16 temp Orlando to part ways with Tobias Harris? Those picks would be late first rounders.
    I would hold onto the knicks pick though.

Lowry Vaz Free agent point guard
    derozen, Lou
    Harris, JJ, Bruno/Daniels
    Amir Patterson
    Val, Davis, Bebe/hays

I think that is a championship caliber team.
    Last edited by barkleynash; 02-01-2015 at 02:36 PM.

Keeping the Bench Warm RAPSCANWIN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
    How much more legit of a Center do you want than JV?

PF and SF are the positions we need to look at.

Couldn't agree more, JV is one of the best young legit centers in the NBA. We do need a upgrade at Back up for Center. If JV goes down for an extended period we'd be in big trouble.

I would think an upgrade at SF is our biggest need. I'd rather see Ross coming off the bench based on what ive seen this season.

Quote Originally Posted by RAPSCANWIN
    Couldn't agree more, JV is one of the best young legit centers in the NBA. We do need a upgrade at Back up for Center. If JV goes down for an extended period we'd be in big trouble.

I would think an upgrade at SF is our biggest need. I'd rather see Ross coming off the bench based on what ive seen this season.
    We're in trouble pretty much every game he gets in foul trouble, as evidenced by last nights game. Just like I said, and we had Amir/Patman trying to fend off Nene/Gorat. An upgrade at the 3 isn't gonna make a huge difference for us. It's just like when everyone thought we would be so great when we picked up Shawn Marion. A team with 5 great individual 1 on 1 defenders can compensate for not having an athletic rim protector at the 5 (ex. Miami Heat winning 2 titles and having 4 straight trips to the finals). A team with a couple of good defenders and a few slightly above average ones needs help keeping people out of that paint. And we badly need that. We are 24th in the league in Points in the paint allowed at 43.4/game. The only other current playoff team averaging worse than that is Phoenix. I don't see how anyone can not see this as our biggest area of concern. We don't have a good enough defensive team that upgrading one piece on the wing is suddenly gonna help us against all that easy penetration that teams get on us on a nightly basis unless that wing guy is Lebron James. Once again, that's not saying JV is bad, it's saying he's all we've got, and that's not enough.

I'm still not sure why Casey is so hesitant to start JJ at the three. Lets turn this team into a more balanced roster. Start Patterson and have Amir as your first big off the bench.

Lowry, vaz
    Derozen, Lou,
    JJ, ross
    Patterson/JJ amir Handsbrough
    Val amir

To me this is their playoff rotation. Hansbrough for spot minutes only. I like JJ guarding 4's. I also like JJ being able to come in and slow down players who are lighting us up. Put him on Jarret Jack for 5 minutes and take teams out of their comfort zones.
    I feel this is the line-up that gives us the best shot at winning playoff basketball games. I know he likes to play Lowry and Vaz together some, but there are ways to do it without starting them together.

Right now the biggest weakness to this basketball team is that we struggle defensively on the perimeter. JJ and Patterson help in this regard.

I'm not sure why either. I feel like he's scared that we might lose the spark he provides off the bench if he insert him into the starting lineup but that spark won't matter if we keep going down huge because our starting 3 can't guard anybody.

If the raps can get a top 5 pick in the 2016 draft, they are really in the running to grab a superstar. Either by keeping the pick or trading both their picks and a player like Ross for a star.
    I am loving the season and hope for a playoff run, continued growth next year. But summer of 2016, draft and free agency will be the defining moment in Raptors History. Hosting the all-star game won't hurt either.