Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: Of the 6 major sports, does basketball require the least amount of skill?

Quote Originally Posted by 28renyoy
    let's look at it this way. a guy that's 7 feet tall walks into a gym. he has never played basketball before, but he has world class athleticism. do you think you could beat him 1 on 1?
    A 7 footer with world class athleticism has a greater chance of succeeding in the NFL than the NBA

Default Re: Of the 6 major sports, does basketball require the least amount of skill?

In my opinion, football and baseball are automatically out of the discussion, because the Quarterback and Pitcher are easily two of the most difficult positions to play and excel at in basically all of sports.

Its probably basketball...

Quote Originally Posted by JustinJDW
    In my opinion, football and baseball are automatically out of the discussion, because the Quarterback and Pitcher are easily two of the most difficult positions to play and excel at in basically all of sports.

Its probably basketball...
    Yes, cuz every player in the NFL is a quarterback. Clearly there are no positions that have lesser skill requirements.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rekindled
    football . because every position is so specialized everyone only need to go 1 thing.
    This, so I don't have to re-write the same thing.

For basketball, skills are big pluses to each player's games. Athleticism can do the job but skills make them special.

i agree with ........

the nba center position is gotta be easy especially in this era

nba games have sooo many stoppage of plays, commercials, time outs

but NFL is probably easier, u get to catch your breath every 10 seconds, and long ass breaks

NBA centers have to be in very good condition + hustle their heart out while being mentally checked in at all times
    Last edited by Stuckey; 08-10-2011 at 02:44 AM.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Basketball is a skill sport since you have to do things like dribble the ball and shoot at the basket.

In football you can just run and try not to get killed. I feel like it's more natural a sport.

Baseball and golf are completely skill, I mean athleticism is a plus for sure, but if you don't have the developed skills you're not going to be successful.

Soccer is very much skill based too because you have less control using your feet than you do your hands. That said those who grow up playing it like many of us did basketball might argue differently.

But it really is tough to remember since I've been playing basketball so long, just how hard it is to pick up at first. We had some exchange students who played tennis and were fast and were good at football and soccer. But we got them on the court and they looked like a couple 6 years olds could beat them. It's really an odd sport if you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Yes, cuz every player in the NFL is a quarterback. Clearly there are no positions that have lesser skill requirements.
    Come on man. Football can't even be in the discussion if they have easily the most difficult, stressful and unforgiving position in all of sports. No other position even comes close. The skill it takes to be a Quarterback, Pitcher and maybe even Designated Hitter exceeds that of any position in basketball. Which is why its easy for me to say the answer is basketball.
    Last edited by JustinJDW; 08-10-2011 at 02:55 AM.

National High School Star

I am very very very naturally skilled at sports...just short.

My definition of 'skills' is would you be able to play with a bunch of normal athleticism guys that have played the sport for 10+ years. For example, if you went to the park and there were a bunch of 20-40 year old people there could you play the game without being a huge detriment to the fun.

Results for someone with above average athleticism and coordinator (me)
    In order of easiest to hardest (assuming you get to have one day to practice)

1. Baseball.
    Catching and throwing. Your singular effect on any single game is usually not that great. I've never once played baseball in any organized way, but when I play with people that do know how to play I don't embarrass myself. I can catch the ball if it easy and i'm fast enough to get a grounder. I have a naturally good arm and can get it close enough to my target. I suck at hitting, and am a detriment there but with a subpar picture I can occasionally get a good whack at the ball.

2. Soccer
    If you have decent athleticism you can always play defense. I really am terrible at kicking the ball but can play great on the ball or help defense. This is a game with clear cut offense and defensive players so as long as you don't choose a position (forward) that requires mad skill you can play just fine. I played with varsity level players and most of them had no idea I never played soccer before. All I did was play defense and try to not do too much. I've played one on one soccer against people that have high school level of skills and beat them. Again, mostly luck, I was faster than them and it was a big field, and no goalie. It takes a little bit to get used to dribbling with your feet, but as far as sports go you can pick that up fairly quickly.

3. Football
    Football really depends on how properly it is played. You have to at least understand football to play it decently. You have to know where to be and what to do/the rules. This is not necessarily skill, but rather knowledge. If you are playing tackle then the skill is a bit less. You can be huge, fast and strong and dominate as a running back or etc. This gets the nod above the other two because you HAVE to be able to catch the ball, move laterally, move explosively, and gauge distance. If you are wide open and can't catch the ball you are a huge liability. Alternatively, if you keep getting torched on defense you are a huge liability.

4. Basketball
    In bball you can be pretty terrible and still be allowed on a court. However, the skills required to be good are very fine tuned. Being a skilled shooter is something purely learned, and not physical (such as catching). Same with dribbling. However, you can be tall and do other things. Alternatively, as long as you can catch and get the ball to someone else it is usually enough. However, the divide between not having skills and having skills is larger than the prior two sports.

5. Hockey
    Ice skating is a semi-skill. I could ice skate just fine the first time I ever tried it. Stopping, turning quickly, etc etc is something I'm sure I could pick up if I go another 20+ times. I think the skill to hit a puck while moving is pretty hard though. I think basketball requires more actual skill, but I think for most people skating and using a stick at the same time is a combination of body skill that requires tons and tons of practice. I might be an exception, rather than the rule here.

6. Tennis
    As an avid tennis player, I can say with certainty if you don't have the skills you have no chance. The athleticism/etc only comes in to play once you have the skills. Someone fast and strong will be only marginally better than someone slow and weak. Skill definitely trumps all, until you get to the upper echelons.

7. Golf
    This sport requires the most skill in my opinion. I naturally have been able to get by, or do well at every sport I've ever played just a few times. Golf is by far the exception. It is impossible. The skill required to hit that ball properly is just unbelievable. Size, strength and every measure of normal athletic ability (coordination, wrist strength, explosiveness, etc) really have no bearing on golf. It is a pure skill sport.

Baseball is the hardest sport to master.

Football or basketball are probably on the easy side.

I'd go with football.

one2
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston C's
    For me its baseball easily besides pitcher and catcher players really dont need to have stamina to play baseball you can be an outfielder and barely see the ball all game and then you bat like once every 3 innings... the toughest thing is hitting because the ball goes so fast that requires skill and development but once you got that down your all set
    Good luck with that. Some never get it. Only the few ever bat at a high level.

Football requires the least amount of skill.

Baseball and golf probably the most, because it's only skill. In a sport like soccer you need to have a combination of skill, athleticism, intelligence and etcetera while in golf you really only need one specialized skill and that's that. It's very pure.

National High School Star therammingman's Avatar

NBA centers are the least skilled

if anything, basketball the the second hardest.

i been around guys that dont play soccer that are REALLY good at it.

Banned

Obviously it's football, excluding a few positions. You can outskill an athlete in basketball, you just can't do that in a lot of positions in football.

guys stop mentioning baseball, it is not a sport, more like an activity or a past time