Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

Default Fred VanVleet putting up multiple 30+ point performance just 10 games into the season

stans trying to tell me the defense in this era is the best its ever been

Fred Vanvleet wouldnt been able to buy a bucket in the 90s and early 2000s

Last edited by STATUTORY : 11-14-2019 at 11:57 AM.
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
hiphopanonymous
Local High School Star

Default Re: Fred VanVleet putting up multiple 30+ point games just 10 games into the season

It really is shocking to me how many role players are suddenly putting up big performances in this era as if they’re superstar caliber... banned defense plus all-time relaxed offensive rules has made it possible for the ball boys and season ticket holders to average 8 points a game in this era
hiphopanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

Default Re: Fred VanVleet putting up multiple 30+ point games just 10 games into the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous
It really is shocking to me how many role players are suddenly putting up big performances in this era as if they’re superstar caliber... banned defense plus all-time relaxed offensive rules has made it possible for the ball boys and season ticket holders to average 8 points a game in this era

and that's how NBA sell the fans a bill of goods that the league is "better than ever"

players are actively disincentivized from playing defense in the regular season, because better offensive stats means bigger contract for everybody.

straight stats inflation
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
Smoke117
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Fred VanVleet putting up multiple 30+ point performance just 10 games into the season

He actually came up big in the playoffs last season and now has a bigger role. OP being a fakkot as usual, though, of course.
Smoke117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
PP34Deuce
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Fred VanVleet putting up multiple 30+ point performance just 10 games into the season

Fred Vanvleet is a baller. He reminds me of Bobby Jackson from the Sac Kings in the 2000's.
PP34Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
PJR
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY

stans trying to tell me the defense in this era is the best its ever been

Fred Vanvleet wouldnt been able to buy a bucket in the 90s and early 2000s

Dude's like John Starks were averaging like 19 a game in the 90's. Please shut fvk up.
PJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
StrongLurk
Buzz City

OP just giving more evidence for his ignorance.

FVV is clearly a good player, did you see him in the finals last year?
StrongLurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
superduper
Le11th

To be fair, FVV is a bad mother****er. He isn't a scrub or a role player. If you watched this season or last night you would see that. Dude is straight up fearless and is becoming insanely skilled at reading defensive lapses. Once he makes the read his finishing is automatic.
superduper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
PickernRoller
Leash Expert!

No one here is doubting the moral character and build up of the man. OP's point is still correct.
PickernRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #10
red1
raptors

freddy is a beast. kid has serious skill his only limitation is his height at 6 feet (more like 5'10)
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #11
hiphopanonymous
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1
freddy is a beast. kid has serious skill his only limitation is his height at 6 feet (more like 5'10)
His height was recently measured due to the 2020 rules regulation that now forces teams to measure accurately - he's 5'8"

I'll admit he's solid skill wise but I still think it's a bit suspect he's so successful I'm not sold he'd be as successful in other eras when defenses used to allow more contact and offensive players had less freedom to navigate
Old 11-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #12
superduper
Le11th

Quote:
His height was recently measured due to the 2020 rules regulation that now forces teams to measure accurately - he's 5'8"

I'll admit he's solid skill wise but I still think it's a bit suspect he's so successful I'm not sold he'd be as successful in other eras when defenses used to allow more contact and offensive players had less freedom to navigate

He looks for contact though, he doesn't avoid it.
superduper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #13
RRR3
L3gacy

Quote:

Muggsy Bogues and Spud Webb had successful careers. I’m sure FVV would
be fine.
RRR3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #14
red1
raptors

Quote:

freddy is as oldschool as it gets he's a hardnosed gritty beast who had to earn everything wasn't drafted had to work his way onto a roster.

he's not just solid skill-wise- he's extremely skilled. I don't see this argument of him not doing well in other eras at all. it's an idiotic take.
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #15
hiphopanonymous
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduper
He looks for contact though, he doesn't avoid it.
I'm not saying its Vanvleets methods that are a problem at all here, and I'm not even saying he couldn't play in prior eras. It's fundamentally sound to seek contact driving inside, it makes the defender backpeddle and if you're in control the foul will likely be called on them. But some hand checking could certainly have helped curb a 5-8 guys effectiveness no? Also eras prior to the no-charge zone posed issues for smaller guys finishing over bigs.

Anyways - just read another article when he was drafted he was measured "6-1 in shoes" at the draft camp. Hilarious considering this season they said he was 5-8 without shoes. Dude showed up to camp a few years ago in platforms
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: