Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 06-09-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
dd24
NBA lottery pick

Default Drummond Working On Defense

At least he's working on something this off season.
http://www.freep.com/videos/sports/n...6/09/85643702/
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:43 PM   #2
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

Default Re: Drummond Working On Defense

I'd rather him work on free throws all summer. One focus. So he can stay in the game.
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:51 PM   #3
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Imagine if Dre could shoot... 65% from the stripe, he would average 20 ppg 15 rpg,
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:17 AM   #4
dd24
NBA lottery pick

I could get the guy to shoot 65% from the line for sure.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
Nastradamus
Decent college freshman

Improving FTs is harder than it seems. Glad to see him working on his D. More likely he becomes a stud there than FT line.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
Improving FTs is harder than it seems. Glad to see him working on his D. More likely he becomes a stud there than FT line.

When your best player can't stay in the last 6 minutes of a game, his defense doesn't matter. He literally disappears.

Let's start working on what's really hard. Free throws.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

Which brings me to another point I want ya'lls opinion on.

Can we be successful with Andre Drummond as our best player?

Over the last year, it dawned on me. If he is our leader, we aren't going anywhere. We can't have a center that shoots barely .500 from the field and under .400 from the FT line. That's ridiculous.

His rebounds are inflated and this is what is bringing his field goal percentage down. Playing volleyball with yourself and pumping up your rebounds doesn't make you a great player. It just makes the stat sheet look nice.

Is he a huge dominant force? Yes. But is he overrated, I think so. He needs to put in some MAJOR work.

"But, he's so young." Yes. And his offensive game has become a little bit better. He kind of has a hook shot now. But besides his kind of hook shot, dude doesn't have an offensive game. Flashes of one? Yes. But an actual game, no. I am seeing Dwight Howard without the defensive skills in front of me.

I might just be pissed that we have gone nowhere since 2007, but I also feel like I really am seeing Dwight Howard, without the attitude, reappear in a Pistons uniform.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
dd24
NBA lottery pick

It kind of goes back to my other post where I said Indiana's best player is better than our best player and they put a collection of good players around him. This is a mediocre Pistons team. It's what all of you have been rooting for forever now and the thing that I've been saying for years that I feared the most. We got all of those late lottery picks and it gave us a collection of decent players. Now we get to be stuck in mediocrity. Our only hope is that some young player develops into a star somehow. Maybe Stanley Johnson can take his game up a few notches. Maybe Harris can develop into an all-star. Outside of that we're pretty much stuck with fighting for a 5-8 seed every season. It's what everyone wanted though.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:46 AM   #9
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

You guys are so negative ^^

We have been trending upwards at a fast rate ever since SVG got his hands on the project team.

Our young players are still ultra young!

Our longest serving "veteran" is KCP,

Literally not one of our core pieces have hit their prime / peak.

Dre gives this team shape, and as soon as he was drafted, that is when our rebuild commenced. It is still early days and yall need some patience.

Dre / Harris / Morris / KCP / Stanley / Reggie

No one knows what the ceiling is on any of those young core pieces. So it is just too hard to tell what this team can be - we learn a little more each season. Another off-season and season under SVG and we might be better suited to answer these questions...
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:50 AM   #10
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
You guys are so negative ^^

We have been trending upwards at a fast rate ever since SVG got his hands on the project team.

Our young players are still ultra young!

Our longest serving "veteran" is KCP,

Literally not one of our core pieces have hit their prime / peak.

Dre gives this team shape, and as soon as he was drafted, that is when our rebuild commenced. It is still early days and yall need some patience.

Dre / Harris / Morris / KCP / Stanley / Reggie

No one knows what the ceiling is on any of those young core pieces. So it is just too hard to tell what this team can be - we learn a little more each season. Another off-season and season under SVG and we might be better suited to answer these questions...

See. That's what I needed. A swift kick in the butt.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #11
Nastradamus
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
It kind of goes back to my other post where I said Indiana's best player is better than our best player and they put a collection of good players around him. This is a mediocre Pistons team. It's what all of you have been rooting for forever now and the thing that I've been saying for years that I feared the most. We got all of those late lottery picks and it gave us a collection of decent players. Now we get to be stuck in mediocrity. Our only hope is that some young player develops into a star somehow. Maybe Stanley Johnson can take his game up a few notches. Maybe Harris can develop into an all-star. Outside of that we're pretty much stuck with fighting for a 5-8 seed every season. It's what everyone wanted though.

I think we have one of the 3-4 best rosters in the East. Cleveland is the only sure thing. Boston and Toronto are probably the next 2 in the conversation. I'd take us at all 3 frontcourt spots over Toronto and our bench is now catching up.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #12
dd24
NBA lottery pick

Cleveland by far has the best roster. Toronto and Boston are clearly better. Because of Dre do we have a better front line than some teams? Of course. I don't think Dre is the guy that gets us over the hump yet. He will really need to show a huge increase in his offensive game (especially FT's). I don't think Chicago is better than us, but their two best players are better than our one best player. Cleveland has two players (and some would argue 3) better than our best. Indiana's best is better than our best. That's just our division. So I don't count those teams out. We're definitely much deeper this year. That will help a lot. I also think that back court is very crucial in today's NBA. Maybe even more so than having bigs. And ours are just ok right now. Reggie will need to continue to get much better. I expect more consistency out of KCP. If we don't get all that I don't see how we're a top 4 seed in the East.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #13
Nastradamus
Decent college freshman

No way in hell I'd trade rosters with Toronto. Maybe Boston if it included the future picks they own
Old 07-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #14
Nastradamus
Decent college freshman

Also we finally have a squad that looks exactly how SVG wants his team to look. He has shown a propensity IMO to get a team to play above what it should be on paper when they fit his system.

While its not the perfect measuring stick, all 5 of our starters likely get the max on the open market(Morris the most questionable, but Demmarre Carroll did and that's probably his best comp)
Old 07-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #15
dd24
NBA lottery pick

Toronto has a far better back court than we do. No doubt about that. Lowry & Derozen > Jackson & KCP. They'll be better than us for the near future. Plus, you gotta figure the division they play in is much easier and that helps them too. Either way, Toronto and Detroit both are not contenders.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: