Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Decent playground baller coolhandsteve's Avatar

Default Re: Michael Carter-Williams

Does MCW strike anyone else as a Gary Payton type of player? (without the trash talk obviously).
    I got him as an All-Star reserve this year, the runaway ROY and to think he's still averaging 17 PPG despite not shooting great, I figure that'll improve, so 25 PPG isn't out of the question.
    I very well could be overreacting, but we could see this guy average a triple-double (rounded or clean) if he maxes out his potential. I'm sold on him.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Over who? John Wall? Jeff Teague? Lance Stephenson? Kyle Lowry? Brandon Jennings? A.Afflalo? D.Derozen? Stop.
    http://www.rappler.com/sports/by-spo...d-be-all-stars

This guy seems to agree with me. I would put lowry over stephenson however

Oladipo>> trey burke>> Hardaway Jr >> MCW

Rookie of the Year lock

Quote Originally Posted by Tking714
    Rookie of the Year lock

I am your soldier!

He's going to be very good, all-star good. He just needs to be more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by blood yes
    http://www.rappler.com/sports/by-spo...d-be-all-stars

This guy seems to agree with me. I would put lowry over stephenson however
    I'll be shocked if he gets voted. While performance should be the only merit for the All Star reserve, coaches will factor in team success as the tiebreaker in which MCW will lose out.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by Olacinco
    Oladipo>> trey burke>> Hardaway Jr >> MCW

Quote Originally Posted by Olacinco
    Giannis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oladipo>> trey burke>> Hardaway Jr >> MCW
    This

2014 NBA Rookie of the Year

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandsteve
    Does MCW strike anyone else as a Gary Payton type of player? (without the trash talk obviously).
    I got him as an All-Star reserve this year, the runaway ROY and to think he's still averaging 17 PPG despite not shooting great, I figure that'll improve, so 25 PPG isn't out of the question.
    I very well could be overreacting, but we could see this guy average a triple-double (rounded or clean) if he maxes out his potential. I'm sold on him.
    No, he's nothing like Payton. Yes you're overreacting, he will never average a triple double, be reasonable. I'm a Philly fan but I'm also a realist. I like him but I don't see the Payton similarities. No Payton couldn't shoot when he came in the league but that's about it. GOBB summed him up nicely. He is extremely inconsistent. He's young so I don't care.

Banned

clear cut RoY to me. Oladipo played the most games but just doesn't have the stats. Burke got a late start and probably has a chance but it's emcee dub's to lose

ROY

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    His jumper is about as inconsistent as his performance. He's hit a bit of a rookie wall. He'll have a good game like last night then a clunker. Still hasn't made anyone respect his jump shot anywhere on the floor. So he sees a lot of opportunities where he is open. Hit and miss. Overall on the season he's not even hitting 30% of his 3's. Nothing broke about his jumper, he just needs to keep up the reps daily. Eventually it'll fall...I hope. Not much of a midrange game. He either takes you to the basket or shoots a 3. Not as much in between game as I'd like.

Offensively, he attacks the rim despite lacking top notch explosiveness. Sometimes when he goes towards the rim leaving his feet? He elevates like a WNBA player. Needs to hit the weight room, and get stronger. He'll be even that much better finishing at the rim and drawing fouls. Speaking of fouls, he has cried excessively like Evan Turner to the officials. He's still learning how to be a leader, trying to mature/grow into that role. So I hope he does. Not a head case. He doesn't facilitate enough as a PG. He's not a score first PG but he has been doing more of that than I like. He should be setting up guys more, getting them into positions, driving and dishing. He should not be the guy on your team who has taken the most attempts. Love the aggressiveness but he needs to distribute and create plays more. He doesn't take advantage much in the post with his size, but again he's not exactly where he needs to be strength wise. Thats an idea he should work on this summer tho. Because he has times where he uses his size and scores. His passing ability out of the post could open it up even more or he could score. Easier said than done if you havent put in the work downlow so we wait.

Defensively he is great playing the passing lanes, and on ball his size/length gives him an advantage vs some guys. Wall had his way vs MCW using his elite quickness/speed. Also Wall is much stronger than MCW. Now off the ball MCW is bad, he is clueless out there. Often caught out of position, too far in the paint then losing track of his man who knocks down the 3 daily. Pick n roll defense is bad as well. He has no idea what to do.

All in all, very promising young talent with lots of room for improvement and growth. People comparing his stats to former greats is cute but watch film. He's far exceeded my expectations however so I'm not down on him at all. He's the only reason I tune in to see Sixers games...to watch him exclusively.
    Doesn't he remind you of Larry Hughes? That's what I thought after a few dozen games. Quickness, lane hawk, very poor shot.....
    I like him but I hate how he gets this major love right now. Only a matter of time where he gets thrown under the bus for poor shooting. But I hope he develops with us. Good solid above average role players with Noel once we draft (or sign) a go to scorer.

Needs to improve his shooting, but the kid's a good playmaker and a rebounder, and his defense is okay, but not elite, he's just got a knack for getting a lot of steals. His opponents actually have better per 48 numbers than him.

This draft was so horrible that he'll win the ROY, but he's really not that great. Just getting big minutes on a bad team, realistically he's a back-up PG right now.