Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #31
Tips4
Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young HkM
Not really. Maybe on the professional level they might not appear to have skills, but they're definately there.

Kwame Brown?Amare Stoudamire?Joey Graham?
Tips4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #32
Tips4
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Henry, Shevy, Lampard/Ballack[I keep forgetting which one said it]. The MLS has a bright future. Give it another 10 years, and it'll continue to grow. It's younger then me afterall

[primetime]Skill? What skill? Standing around isn't a skill, kicking a stupid ball isn't skill. Only reason it's played is because no other country can afford our so called football padding.[/primetime]

It preety obvious you dont watch soccer.
Tips4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:08 PM   #33
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenk
That`s true.Skill is more important than athleticism.
But that`s the reason why no NFL player would survive in a second league in a major soccer country...

Also,you need to be quick and agile,that`s why many offensive soccer players are rather small than the average NBA athlete...

Kwame Brown gets owned in Poland!
If you start with that silly argument you are leaving yourself open on trying to explain why Ronaldinho would not get f'n murdered in the ABA.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #34
dhenk
Why do you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
If you start with that silly argument you are leaving yourself open on trying to explain why Ronaldinho would not get f'n murdered in the ABA.

It was a response to the quote by "make it rain"...read that first..

Im not saying that Ronaldinho won`t.In fact,Im pretty sure he has no chance,skillwise.
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #35
Young HkM
Up in the Rafters

Quote:
That`s true.Skill is more important than athleticism.
But that`s the reason why no NFL player would survive in a second league in a major soccer country...

Also,you need to be quick and agile,that`s why many offensive soccer players are rather small than the average NBA athlete...

Kwame Brown gets owned in Poland!

It's funny that you mention that because you plug one of your soccer players into the nfl and they actually wouldn't survive. They could probably die. Put 5-11 165lb David Beckham up against your average nfl cornerback 5-9 200lb and once he got hit he probably wouldn't be playing sports for a very long time.
Young HkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #36
dhenk
Why do you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young HkM
It's funny that you mention that because you plug one of your soccer players into the nfl and they actually wouldn't survive. They could probably die. Put 5-11 165lb David Beckham up against your average nfl cornerback 5-9 200lb and once he got hit he probably wouldn't be playing sports for a very long time.

learn to read...one post earlier..

and I think,"f'n murdered" is the right term...vice-versa
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #37
Young HkM
Up in the Rafters

Quote:
learn to read...one post earlier..

and I think,"f'n murdered" is the right term...vice-versa

Or instead I can stop reading where I see a problem and reply to a borderline retarded post.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #38
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

What I meant earlier was the top ATHLETE in the NFL is more athletic than the top ATHLETE in the many soccer leagues.

Ladainian Tomlinson > any soccer player as an athlete.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #39
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
What I meant earlier was the top ATHLETE in the NFL is more athletic than the top ATHLETE in the many soccer leagues.

no question about it
Old 08-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #40
Young HkM
Up in the Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker

LT along with every DB, WR, and RBs, some DE's and some LBs.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #41
LJJ
Extra Cheese

I wouldn't say they are exceptional athletes. Not in the way NBA basketball players are.

Being strong, jumping high, those things just don't get you very far on a soccer pitch.

You see, athletisism is not needed as much in soccer. You need to be able to run 10 miles with relative ease and you have to be fast. Being tough is important, agility of you are a winger. That's it.

Other than that it's all skill.

But make no mistake, being a professional soccer player is not easier than being a football or basketball player.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #42
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

ALONG WITH ADRIAN WILSON

insane
Old 08-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #43
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:
But make no mistake, being a professional soccer player is not easier than being a football or basketball player.

Rugby is tougher than soccer though.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #44
srv_fan
Learning to shoot layups

I think the reason people are against calling soccer players amazing athletes is because they don't understand that not all sports require the same type of athleticism as football and basketball. Both these sports (probably 2 most popular ones in North America) involve covering fairly short distances very quickly. You can afford to be both jacked and really fast because you don't need as much endurance- you're moving in short quick bursts punctuated by some rest (a LOT of rest in football). In soccer, you are constantly moving up and down a massive playing field, and you need amazing endurance and stamina. Think about the difference between an average run in each sport- NFL is around 4 or 5 yards, NBA is probably around 60 feet, and soccer is at least a couple hundred feet. And they play basically nonstop for 90 minutes, not 48 or 60.Shawn Merriman and Dwight Howard are freaky strong/explosive, but I guarentee that they would get smoked in any "race" beyond a sprint by a top level soccer player from Europe, just like Merriman and Howard could easily overpower and outjump a soccer player. Because of this need for stamina and quickness, it's not desirable for soccer players to be jacked or really tall.

That said, top flight soccer players have A LOT of the same athletic talents as NBA superstars. Quickness in confined spaces, breakaway speed, coordination (you try just controlling a soccer ball at a dead sprint, let alone making cuts and fakes), vertical leap (don't believe me? Watch how high players in the Premier League or La Liga get on a cross from the corner), crazy good endurance, and very good strength for their size to press people off the ball (still obviously not comparable to the NFL or big NBA players).

Anyone who tries to claim top flight soccer players aren't sick athletes is basically saying that Allen Iverson, Nate Robertson, Ben Gordan, etc. aren't good athletes either. Because I guarentee that Thierry Henry, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, or Samuel Eto'o are just as quick, fast, explosive, and coordinated.

Enough with the ignorance.
srv_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #45
-primetime-

a jar of LT's piss > David Beckham
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: