Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #16
Make It Rain
Banned

Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenk
Argh...
The third german league is full of 6'9'' uber-athletes,mainly from Africa,with incredible skills...

Alexander Zickler,ex-Bayern Munich-forward,ran 100-meter in 10.14 sec...
and he is not a specimen...there are hundreds of similar gifted players,I just brought his stat up because I knew it for sure..

some are better athletes,some are worse...
Let's see him do that with the weight of NFL padding.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #17
Tips4
Dunking on everybody in the park

The thing about soccer players is you dont only need to be atheletic but you need skills. In football or basketball you can just get away with being big and atheletic but in soccer you will get schooled if you just depend ony your atheleticism.
Tips4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #18
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Totally irrelevant but goddam I can't wait for Thierry Henry to come to the MLS.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #19
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Totally irrelevant but goddam I can't wait for Thierry Henry to come to the MLS.

Henry, Shevy, Lampard/Ballack[I keep forgetting which one said it]. The MLS has a bright future. Give it another 10 years, and it'll continue to grow. It's younger then me afterall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tips4
The thing about soccer players is you dont only need to be atheletic but you need skills. In football or basketball you can just get away with being big and atheletic but in soccer you will get schooled if you just depend ony your atheleticism.

[primetime]Skill? What skill? Standing around isn't a skill, kicking a stupid ball isn't skill. Only reason it's played is because no other country can afford our so called football padding.[/primetime]
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #20
Make It Rain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenk
Argh...
The third german league is full of 6'9'' uber-athletes,mainly from Africa,with incredible skills...

Alexander Zickler,ex-Bayern Munich-forward,ran 100-meter in 10.14 sec...
and he is not a specimen...there are hundreds of similar gifted players,I just brought his stat up because I knew it for sure..

some are better athletes,some are worse...
Also, I'd like to add that I doubt most Soccer players are athletic in the general sense. Very little athleticism is needed. You just need endurance and skills that can only be taught and practiced. Other sports can't just rely on endurance. I don't think many Soccer players would fare well in the NFL. But, there's probably at least a handful of NFL players that could at the least survive in Soccer.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #21
Young HkM
Up in the Rafters

It seems like people are only considering speed when they talk about elite athletes. Speed is important, but nobody has brought up strength. Football has both. You have guys at 200+ pounds running the 100 in under 10 seconds to go along with 40 inch verts and great hand eye coordination.

Edit: Don't forget the fact that they can bench your entire family and curl you.

Endurance is good, but I don't think it's that important. If endurance was the biggest measure of a "great athlete" olympic runners would be the best athlete's in the world which I don't believe is true. They are good at what they do, but in the field of overall athleticism they fail.

Last edited by Young HkM : 08-11-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Young HkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #22
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
So your saying Peyton can run around for 90 minutes with a 15 minute rest and be able to kick a ball where it needs to go? I'm willing to bet that unless Peyton has played soccer before, he can't curve a ball the way he wants to.
obviously he couldn't kick the ball that well...could Pele throw a 50 yard spiral into the endzone hitting the WR in stride all while 250 lb. animals are trying to kill him?

the point I was trying to make is that I am more than sure that Peyon could run that long all while wearing pads and I am sure that when he does cardio training he does do that exact thing...
Quote:
Is Pele fat and overweight? Or is he in shape?:
he is who he is...

Offensive lineman are in increadable shape btw...and they are strong as hell...Larry Allen bench pressed 800 lbs.....
Quote:
So why do you bring in an offensive linesman vs a G.O.A.T. of a sport which needs you to be FIT and CONDITIONED.:
i was comparing NFL players to MLS players, saying that both are athletic just in other ways....I wasn't talking about just o-linemen
Quote:
And Steve Nash is one of the, if not the highest, conditioned player in the league. Man lasts 82 games + playoffs and doesn't slow down. I'm confident his previous experiences with soccer had something to do with his conditioning and fitness level.:
ok...
Quote:
What does this have to do with what I put again? I mean, this has something to do with out of all team sports, soccer players being the most conditioned, fit and having the most stamina/endurance? Wow, weird. By the way, same goes for soccer. If the defense sets an offside trap, but one CB/LB/RB fails to stop moving, it could give a goal to the opposing squad. Or if the Goalie and a defender miscommunicate on a aerial ball coming towards the box. Or off a freekick/corner kick on both sides of the ball. Or on offense, the Mid failing to know where the Forward wants the ball, or what foot he's more comfortable with striking with.
ok...soccer players have high endurance...i thought you ment team wise in general
Quote:
I was obviously right
about what?....that they have high endurance?...ok
Old 08-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #23
Make It Rain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young HkM
It seems like people are only considering speed when they talk about elite athletes. Speed is important, but nobody has brought up strength. Football has both. You have guys at 200+ pounds running the 100 in under 10 seconds to go along with 40 inch verts and great hand eye coordination.

Endurance is good, but I don't think it's that important. If endurance was the biggest measure of a "great athlete" olympic runners would be the best athlete's in the world which I don't believe is true. They are good at what they do, but in the field of overall athleticism they fail.
Exactly.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #24
qrich
King Heno

Quote:

Strength? Sure, maybe some soccer players don't have the upperbody strength, but they have lowerbody strength, do they not?
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #25
dhenk
Why do you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
obviously he couldn't kick the ball that well...could Pele throw a 50 yard spiral into the endzone hitting the WR in stride all while 250 lb. animals are trying to kill him?

Yes,with his feet!
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #26
-primetime-

Quote:
this guy had speed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=armmKMwfUtk

he could run a 4.9 backwards
Old 08-11-2007, 05:50 PM   #27
Young HkM
Up in the Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tips4

Not really. Maybe on the professional level they might not appear to have skills, but they're definately there.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #28
-primetime-

Quote:
Strength? Sure, maybe some soccer players don't have the upperbody strength, but they have lowerbody strength, do they not?
no where near what the NFL has

in fact I am sure that college level football players are generally stronger....even in the lower body

they are just enormous people to begin with...
Old 08-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #29
Young HkM
Up in the Rafters

Quote:

Doubt they have the lower body strength either. Squats, legpress, ect.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #30
dhenk
Why do you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make It Rain
Also, I'd like to add that I doubt most Soccer players are athletic in the general sense. Very little athleticism is needed. You just need endurance and skills that can only be taught and practiced. Other sports can't just rely on endurance. I don't think many Soccer players would fare well in the NFL. But, there's probably at least a handful of NFL players that could at the least survive in Soccer.

That`s true.Skill is more important than athleticism.
But that`s the reason why no NFL player would survive in a second league in a major soccer country...

Also,you need to be quick and agile,that`s why many offensive soccer players are rather small than the average NBA athlete...

Kwame Brown gets owned in Poland!
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: