Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops


Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
IGOTGAME
3-time NBA All-Star
 
IGOTGAME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,292
Default Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

I having this huge debate about whether elite soccer players like Ronaldinho, Henry etc. were world class athletes...

Surprisingly no one agree with me that they were...they stated that because guys like Henry play against slow realtively unathletic player(not my opinion) they cannot be qualified as elite athletes... They then backed that up by saying that bball and football players are faster, stronger, quicker, jump high etc...

They then went on to say if a guy like Isiah Thomas or Reggie Bush or D-Wade grew up playing soccer he they would be the best in the world by far....I totally disagreed..

Does any1 else agree that soccer players are elite athletes the same way football players and nba players are???

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 08-11-2007 at 04:57 PM.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Da KO King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,040
Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

Yes, soccer players are great athletes. Anyone that says others is just being being ignorant or just saying it to piss you off.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,368
Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

The top football player is more athletic than the top soccer player.

But of course they are world class athletes.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,108
Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

I'd like to see some of the fatas&s in the NBA or NFL play 90 minutes continuous....

yes soccer players are great athletes.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
Young HkM
Up in the Rafters
 
Young HkM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 702
Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
I having this huge debate about whether elite soccer players like Ronaldinho, Henry etc. were world class athletes...

Surprisingly no one agree with me that they were...they stated that because guys like Henry play against slow realtively unathletic player(not my opinion) they cannot be qualified as elite athletes... They then backed that up by saying that bball and football players are faster, stronger, quicker, jump high etc...

They then went on to say if a guy like Isiah Thomas or Reggie Bush or D-Wade grew up playing soccer he they would be the best in the world by far....I totally disagreed..

Does any1 else agree that soccer players are elite athletes the same way football players and nba players are???

I wouldn't say their athletecism is as high as your averagecbasketball or football player, but yeah I guess they're good athletes.
Young HkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
-primetime-
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

what is this "soccer" thing that you speak of?


seriously though

obviously they are tremendously athletic...but imo the most athletic players in the world are found in the NFL...

Bo Jackson > Pele
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 24,737
Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
The top football player is more athletic than the top soccer player.

But of course they are world class athletes.

So, your saying Peyton Manning[he is one of the top players], can run around for 90 minutes basically with a 15 minute break after 45 minutes? Not to mention, be able to kick a ball where he wants to, and to get tackled after his feet are already feeling numb?

Soccer players have one of the greatest enduraces of all team sports if you ask me. Out of Wade, Isiah and Bush, only Wade in my opinion could become a USL 2nd Division player if you ask me, Isiah would be ****, Bush wouldn't even last the first day of cuts in high schools/community colleges .

Here's a food for thought, earler this season, in the ManU/AC Milan first leg of the aggregate competition in the UEFA, Cristiano Ronaldo ran over 6-7 miles in the damn game, and that's in 90 minutes, while having to control the ball, be able to put the ball where needed while having people hitting up his legs when already numb. Now, in football, sure, you might have some hard tackles, and fatty's running up and forth, but you have a play going for about 5 seconds, then a 30+ second huddle involving rests, then another 5 seconds of action. I'd say, team sports wise, Soccer leads it all, followed closely by Basketball and Hockey.
Edit: Prediciton, primetime thinks he's so smart, so he starts up something else right now, and then every point he attempts to bring up, gets shut down, so he brings up another, and another, and another, etc.

Last edited by qrich : 08-11-2007 at 05:11 PM.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
jackjohnson
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 242
Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

of course they are. its just that in America people only care about basketball and football, not soccer and tennis. no one outside of the US cares about football.
jackjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
-primetime-
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
So, your saying Peyton Manning[he is one of the top players], can run around for 90 minutes basically with a 15 minute break after 45 minutes? Not to mention, be able to kick a ball where he wants to, and to get tackled after his feet are already feeling numb?

Soccer players have one of the greatest enduraces of all team sports if you ask me. Out of Wade, Isiah and Bush, only Wade in my opinion could become a USL 2nd Division player if you ask me, Isiah would be ****, Bush wouldn't even last the first day of cuts in high schools/community colleges .

Here's a food for thought, earler this season, in the ManU/AC Milan first leg of the aggregate competition in the UEFA, Cristiano Ronaldo ran over 6-7 miles in the damn game, and that's in 90 minutes, while having to control the ball, be able to put the ball where needed while having people hitting up his legs when already numb. Now, in football, sure, you might have some hard tackles, and fatty's running up and forth, but you have a play going for about 5 seconds, then a 30+ second huddle involving rests, then another 5 seconds of action. I'd say, team sports wise, Soccer leads it all, followed closely by Basketball and Hockey.
I bet Peyton could do all that wearing pads....In fact I bet he does do that in practice a few times every week when they go through there cardio training...

could Pele go thru 4 quarters on an offensive line trying to hold back some enornmous steriod freak that wants to chop of his QBs head?

both are athletes...they are just have different skill sets...

Steve Nash plays soccer at a competitive level....or did at one time anyways

and Team sports wise...NFL wins hands down, not even close..if one guy on the o-line fails then it ruins it for the entire team....if the runnning back fumbles it could cost the game...if the kicker misses then game over...everyone depends on everyone to be there for them
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
dhenk
Why do you care?
 
dhenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Where the sun will never shine
Posts: 1,029
Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

Ronaldinho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDtaV6sdmDY

Henry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P7RBRhFcSU

Ibrahimovic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CrO82dR1RQ

Some soccer players in case you don`t know them..
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
Make It Rain
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,206
Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

Depends on your definition of athleticism. There's one thing you need to play soccer and that's Endurance. If athleticism = purely endurance, then the greatest athletes in the world play soccer. But athleticism also involves, strength, speed, quickness, hand-eye coordination, vertical leaps, etc...That is why the best athletes in the world are in the NBA.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 24,737
Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
I bet Peyton could do all that wearing pads....In fact I bet he does do that in practice a few times every week when they go through there cardio training...

So your saying Peyton can run around for 90 minutes with a 15 minute rest and be able to kick a ball where it needs to go? I'm willing to bet that unless Peyton has played soccer before, he can't curve a ball the way he wants to.

Quote:
could Pele go thru 4 quarters on an offensive line trying to hold back some enornmous steriod freak that wants to chop of his QBs head?

Is Pele fat and overweight? Or is he in shape?

Quote:
both are athletes...they are just have different skill sets...

So why do you bring in an offensive linesman vs a G.O.A.T. of a sport which needs you to be FIT and CONDITIONED.

Quote:
Steve Nash plays soccer at a competitive level....or did at one time anyways

And Steve Nash is one of the, if not the highest, conditioned player in the league. Man lasts 82 games + playoffs and doesn't slow down. I'm confident his previous experiences with soccer had something to do with his conditioning and fitness level.

Quote:
and Team sports wise...NFL wins hands down, not even close..if one guy on the o-line fails then it ruins it for the entire team....if the runnning back fumbles it could cost the game...if the kicker misses then game over...everyone depends on everyone to be there for them

What does this have to do with what I put again? I mean, this has something to do with out of all team sports, soccer players being the most conditioned, fit and having the most stamina/endurance? Wow, weird. By the way, same goes for soccer. If the defense sets an offside trap, but one CB/LB/RB fails to stop moving, it could give a goal to the opposing squad. Or if the Goalie and a defender miscommunicate on a aerial ball coming towards the box. Or off a freekick/corner kick on both sides of the ball. Or on offense, the Mid failing to know where the Forward wants the ball, or what foot he's more comfortable with striking with.

I was obviously right
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #13
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 24,737
Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenk

Great list, but I'll add some more:

Roberto Carlos

Maradona

Lionel Messi

Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo

Hernan Crespo
EDIT: Had to add Hernan Crespo

Last edited by qrich : 08-11-2007 at 05:26 PM.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
Make It Rain
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,206
Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

What people don't understand is unlike, Soccer, athletes of other sports are trained for short distances and timeframes. So in a short dash, any NFL runningback and almost any NBA guard/forward can outrun the average Soccer player.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #15
dhenk
Why do you care?
 
dhenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Where the sun will never shine
Posts: 1,029
Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

Argh...
The third german league is full of 6'9'' uber-athletes,mainly from Africa,with incredible skills...

Alexander Zickler,ex-Bayern Munich-forward,ran 100-meter in 10.14 sec...
and he is not a specimen...there are hundreds of similar gifted players,I just brought his stat up because I knew it for sure..

some are better athletes,some are worse...
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Daily Roundup

NBA Scores

NBA Stats

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

Fantasy Basketball

Basketball Sneakers

Search Site

STAY CONNECTED
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy