Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 10-15-2019, 07:19 AM   #121
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Pre-season 2019

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/1...eam-jazz-cant/

Quote:
Transition defense. The Jazz allowed the Kings to score 24 fast break points tonight, way too many. Part of that was because the Jazz turned the ball over 20 times, a result of them being a little bit too careless on offense. But in truth, the Kings still scored more often than they should have: they still allowed 1.41 points per play in transition, well above league average. The Kings are an excellent transition team, but it was too easy tonight.

This will get better. Teams won't score in transition on them as much as last year. Less turnovers and more made shots

Quote:
Offensive rebounding. The Jazz allowed the Kings an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.1, again, well above league average. Remember, the Jazz were the second best defensive rebounding team in the league last year, so they should be much better. In particular, I thought Gobert didn’t do enough to capture boards, he only ended up with 6 in 26 minutes of play.

He hasn't had much in either game. Not worried about him or Davis. The rest need to do their part

Quote:
After years of fretting about how the Jazz would score, no one seems worried about that anymore. Even just among the three people I talked to postgame, Snyder said “that end of the floor, in many respects, can take care of itself.” Gobert said, “Offensively, I’m not worried at all.” Mitchell said, “I don’t think we’re too worried about that.”

exactly what I'v e been saying. Get the right people on the court and let them play. Don't over think it Snyder
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #122
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/10/14/uta...er-slow-start/

Quote:
Utah Jazz: Is rocky preseason an omen of yet another slow start?

No

Quote:
Sure, it was just a preseason game. And, yes, the Jazz played their deep bench to end the game yet again. And, of course, as I mentioned previously, we knew there would be an adjustment period as the Jazz got accustomed to one another. I’ve even said myself that I believe the Jazz will start the year about 12-12, if not slightly worse.

stop with the deep bench already. That is their biggest concern right now

Quote:
Andy Larsen

@andyblarsen
That being said, Gobert doesn't look all there defensively, or on the glass. He's not making multiple efforts, isn't owning the glass even against a relatively short Kings lineup. There are plenty of good reasons — FIBA being one — but Jazz need better from him in regular season.

8:37 PM - Oct 14, 2019

yeah I'd be worried about the guy that has carried them for almost 5 years
Old 10-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #123
Xiao Yao You

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2019/...rio-2019-20/2/

Quote:
The difference for this team might just be capitalizing on broken downplays that produce momentum shifts, the type the champion-level Warriors made at top flight. That’s where the team’s third new recruit, Ed Davis, should come in handy, too. He tends to run around creating havoc and match-up nightmares inside, so Jazz fans are likely salivating at the opportunity to have Davis and Rudy Gobert on the court at the same time.

God no!

Quote:
Worst-case scenario

Rudy being hurt
Old 10-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #124
Xiao Yao You

https://fansided.com/2019/10/14/nba-...t-question/30/

Quote:
And yet, the Utah Jazz have a boogeyman. His name is James Harden.

He wasn't their problem. Rubio/Favors were
Old 10-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #125
Xiao Yao You

https://fansided.com/2019/10/15/nba-...big-questions/

Quote:
Marcus Smart is an elite, hounding, multi-positional defender, and getting to that level takes years of diligent work, not just one summer playing with the guy on Team USA’s most disappointing squad in decades. The Jazz will be perfectly fine with Mitchell being an average NBA defender again in 2019-20, so it’d be fairly stunning if this became a thing.

I see him improving overall. His points might drop from the 2nd half of last season in the process but will be more efficient

Quote:
He’s been the most impactful two-way player on the Jazz for a few years now, and he remains — literally and figuratively — at the center of it all. Coming off a season in which he averaged a career-high 15.9 points, 12.9 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per game, if he can keep his production relatively level on a superior team, last year’s tears may turn to vindication.

someone gets it

Quote:
Adding a defensive stalwart like Conley helps, as does a versatile big who can switch to different positions in small-ball lineups like Ed Davis, but James Harden has rendered Utah’s elite defense helpless in the last two postseasons. The Rockets are 8-2 against the Jazz in that stretch, and in both postseason matchups, the reigning DPOY was completely taken out of it.

The Rockets beat them because of crappy offense and that has been fixed. The D was good enough to beat them

Quote:
Their biggest hope is they don’t meet Houston in the postseason, or that the Harden-Russ backcourt implodes thanks to a lack of spacing if they do.

not worried about these guys at all. Denver and Clipps right now

Quote:
Avoiding another slow start will be vital for playoff positioning. Squeezing points out of the bench, especially with Ingles running the show, will be extremely important. Outside of him, Davis and O’Neale, the bench looks fairly thin, so Exum and Mudiay have to prove they can contribute on a winning team.

The bench will score plenty because a couple of their best players will be leading it. Either Conley or Mitchell and either Gobert and Bojan I would imagine. You forgot Niang. After that there are certainly big questions though
Old 10-16-2019, 02:13 PM   #126
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseret.com/2019/10/15/2...ll-mike-conley

Quote:
The fifth-year pro wound up playing 16:52 and scored eight points on 4-of-6 shooting with two rebounds and two turnovers. Conley played 25:29, and rookie two-way player Justin Wright-Foreman, a shooting guard in college, played the final 5:39 as the Kings ran away with the win.

I'd say Conley or Mitchell will be playing at all times. Who you want to call the pg is probably up to you
Old 10-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #127
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Eric Walden: Quin Snyder, on new guys adjusting to Rudy, and on defensive improvement in general: “To change some of those habits does take time. … After 18 games last year, we were 18th in defense; and we ended up with a pretty good defense. We were further along last year at this point.” pic.twitter.com/oUOcEaAww1 – via Twitter tribjazz

Furthur along after ringing everyone back. Imagine that
Old 10-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #128
Xiao Yao You

http://saltcityhoops.com/roster-cuts...r-d-without-3/

Quote:
In the summer of 2017 Jazz fans were already excited about the dynamic shooting guard acquired in the draft and heartbroken about a departed free agent. Outside of Utah and even among most inside Utah, not many people were paying attention to the battle for the 15th and final roster spot between former Weber State standout Joel Bolomboy and a little-known Baylor graduate who had spent three years overseas, most recently averaging 7.3 points and 4.8 rebounds for Spain’s Gran Canaria while shooting .338 from three. But Royce O’Neale easily won the training camp battle and quickly became a core part of the Jazz rotation. Since then, he has established himself as an elite perimeter defender with the ability to shoot from range. Much like Ingles, Royce is in many ways part of the heart of the Utah Jazz.

too bad they kept Exum though

Quote:
By opening night, the Jazz will need to cut the roster down from the current 20 players to 15, plus the two 2-way contracts that went to recent Jazz draftees Justin Wright-Foreman and Jarrell Brantley. By most reports, the 15th and final full roster spot will be a battle between Kidd and Howard. Will the Jazz choose the shooter and hope he develops his defense or the defender and hope he develops his shot?

Maybe getting Collingsworth was because they aren't happy with either or maybe they'll pick up someone elses leftovers? Nice to have flexibility for a change and their depth is certainly the biggest question now despite all this talk of their great depth!
Old 10-17-2019, 12:30 AM   #129
Xiao Yao You

Like what I saw out of Mudiay. Looks like a player. Get rid of Dante!
Old 10-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #130
Xiao Yao You

https://www.ksl.com/article/46657085...this-preseason

Quote:
“He'll get back to being instinctive and making reads, but again, like, like Emmanuel (Mudiay), like Mike (Conley), like Rudy (Gobert), like (everyone), when we throw ourselves into the defensive end I think a lot of these things will take care of themselves and oftentimes, if you're struggling a little bit offensively that can impact you defensively as well. It's connected like that,” Snyder said.

but Exum will play no matter how bad his offense is anyway!
Old 10-17-2019, 12:27 PM   #131
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2019/...le-this-season

Quote:
“The thing I worry about Utah is that (head coach) Quin Snyder’s playbook is pretty complex,“ Elhassan said, to which fellow analyst Kendrick Perkins, who was on the Jazz roster for two days in 2015 as part of the Enes Kanter trade to the Oklahoma City Thunder, cut in to say “absolutely.”

Besides their depth Snyder overthinking things would be my next worry. Get the right guys on the floor and get out of their way and let them play
Old 10-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #132
Xiao Yao You

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2019/...mer-offseason/

Quote:
The often forgotten trades made this season for the acquisitions of players like Jae Crowder and Ricky Rubio shouldn’t be forgotten either. The Jazz knew Rubio wasn’t the long-term answer at point guard, but being able to try something other than George Hill on a short-term basis was a good decision. Picking up Jae Crowder from an ill-fitting scenario in Cleveland just made sense, a player like Jae that can do it all and defend was tailor-made for a team like Utah.

replacing a guys that fit perfectly with one that never made any sense was a good move? Even if Hayward had stayed they would have gotten worse because of Rubio

Quote:
We know ultimately neither of these guys is on the team now though, but for good reason. After again understandably losing to the High-powered Rockets, they knew it was time to make some bigger moves. The time was right too, Memphis being ready to free Mike Conley while still in his prime aligned perfectly with the expiring of Rubio’s contract as well as the team having assets available to get it done.

good thing they wasted last year so they could keep Dante though!

Quote:
Letting go of Trey Burks, Raul Neto, Rubio, and Crowder, there had to be some replacing done. Mudiay is only 23 and coming off a career year in New York. Granted, it was for the Knicks on a terrible team, but nonetheless if the expectation is simply backup point and combo guard? I think he can handle that if not outdo expectations. Jeff Green serves as a similar replacement to Crowder, though his game may not be as clean or refined, the similar traits are there.

Trey Burks!

Quote:
These two alongside Ed Davis and some more experience with Royce O’Neal and some playing time for Georges Niang, I wouldn’t be concerned about their depth.

I would. Mudiay's play last night has me feeling better
Old 10-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #133
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Kentucky coach John Calipari is not a fan of the NBA potentially expanding the draft past its current two-round format. While addressing reporters at the SEC Tipoff event, Calipari said adding rounds to the draft would only lead to more players being funneled into the G League. “If anybody supports more rounds in the draft, those more rounds are to get kids to go to the G League, you do not care about college basketball or you’re trying to ruin college basketball,” he said. – via Sports Illustrated

What has ruined it is the one and done that you have played a bigger part of than anyone. College basketball isn't going anywhere. It needs to be left to student athletes like it used to be. Guys that want to play basketball can go pro
Old 10-18-2019, 12:04 AM   #134
Xiao Yao You

Tony Jones: The Utah Jazz are picking up Tony Bradley’s fourth year option, League Sources tell The Athletic – via Twitter Tjonesonthenba
Old 10-18-2019, 12:12 AM   #135
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Andy Larsen: Jazz just signed Isaac Haas and Mike Scott (the one from Idaho, not the Sixers one or the Office one.) More G-League shenanigans! – via Twitter andyblarsen

so that makes 4 affliliate guys and the 3 draft picks. Morgan, Collinsworth, Haas and Scott with the two way guys Brantley and

Wright Forman/Scott
Oni/Collisworth

Brantley/Morgan
Haas

Possibly Bradley will get a game here and there when both teams are in town. Goss, and either Kidd or Howard could get some time as well I imagine. Exum should
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: