Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 09-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #16
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Pre-season 2019

https://www.slcdunk.com/2019/9/20/20...-georges-niang

Quote:
Royce O’neale
Best Case Scenario: Starter, Most Improved Player
Worst Case Scenario: End of the bench

if he's at the end of the bench than Snyder should be fired

Quote:
If O’neale can take 4-5 threes per game and do it within an offense that will be vastly better next season, the Jazz have a potent weapon on their hands.

not always the answer. Ingles shooting more wasn't a good thing

Quote:
Georges Niang
Best Case Scenario: Rotation player, Spot starter
Worst Case Scenario: A season of DNP-CDs

fire Snyder if he's not playing

Quote:
Dante Exum
Best Case Scenario: Sixth Man of the Year, Most Improved Player
Worst Case Scenario: More health issues and more lack of development

6th man of the year?

Quote:
That’s the biggest benefit of adding talent that fits, things get simpler. Now, instead of having a million screens and actions to make up for a lack of shooting, the offense will have simpler actions with more space. Therefore, Exum might be looking at the best spacing and simplest actions of his career. With his speed and athleticism, he has a chance to be a terror for opposing wing defenders.

it's when he's on the court that the spacing will be lacking. He will be left alone to shoot on the perimeter

Quote:
But as is always the case with Exum, he has to stay healthy. Not much else has to be said about this. Exum continues to have a huge ceiling, let’s hope this is the year we see how close he can get to it.

has to show he actually play the game of basketball

Quote:
The Niang Thang
While I don’t believe that he can put it all together this season, I do believe that with proper training (which the Jazz are always leaders in), Niang can become a Dirk Nowitzki light- a type of guy who while not fantastic at defense, can keep himself on the floor enough to showcase his ability to score anywhere on the floor.

Posted by InterestingIntelligent on Sep 21, 2019 | 9:53 AM

I think he could be better than Ingles
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #17
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/09/21/thr...eason-2019-20/

Quote:
Ah, yes. Dante Exum. The perennial Ex-Factor (see what I did there?) that unfortunately has never been able to remain healthy. It may sound like the continued beating of a dead horse or the repetitive jumble of a broken record, but it remains the truth nonetheless. If Exum can finally remain healthy, reach some semblance of his potential and make an impact for the Jazz, he could very well be a game-changer.

he's already a game changer thanks to that crappy contract. Imagine having another 9 million to spend

Quote:
But my point is – all Exum truly has to do to have a breakout season is simply suit up for an entire year! Sure, that may be a tall order given his spotty history, but at the same time, it’s entirely doable.

got to show he doesn't suck regardless

Quote:
Exum has shown enough value during his highest points, that even if he doesn’t improve one iota from that, but just remains healthy, it will be a massive success for both him and the Jazz. The value he’ll bring as a defender and as an athletic driver that can collapse defenses as he attacks the paint will be enormous.

collapse defenses and miss lay ups or turn it over. Value?

Quote:
But if he, one, stays healthy, two, remedies those issues to improve his reliability and usability then, three, remains the masterful defender he’s shown himself capable of being, the Jazz are going to have a role player extraordinaire on their hands. A breakout from Exum would make the Jazz even deeper than they’re projected to be. And considering the high ceiling Dante already has, it could result in the Jazz having yet another elite two-way force in their ranks. That would be such an incredible luxury.

9 proven players is deep?

Quote:
For the Utah Jazz, the player with the most superstar potential yet to reach is none other than Donovan Mitchell. In other words, in order for them to truly ascend to the ranks of the elite in the NBA, year three will have to be Mitchell’s finest yet.

is there any doubt it will be with Ricky and Favors replaced by guys that fit?
Old 09-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #18
Xiao Yao You

https://fansided.com/2019/09/20/25-u...tchell-jazz-5/

Quote:
For that reason, it’s assumed he will continue that upward trajectory this year as the stakes get higher and the expectations get bigger. Leading the team in offensive responsibility should be a given. Improved efficiency is expected, as Conley and Bogdanovic should inject diversity and reliability into the Utah supporting cast. It would be a shock if he didn’t make his first All-Star appearance. The Jazz are going to be expected to be among the West’s elite teams, especially if a superteam like the Warriors, Lakers, or Clippers falters early. Mitchell is expected to carry the Jazz to at least a competitive second-round series, and considerably more locally.

Their best player isn't the one carrying them again?

Quote:
It’s also worth remembering that growth curves aren’t linear. We normally think of development as a linear curve — Player A starts in one place, gets better in year two, improves again in year three, etc. But it doesn’t always happen like that, and there are a lot of reasons that Mitchell could either plateau or even regress this coming year. He could struggle to adapt to the new offensive structure with Conley and Bogdanovic, and there’s still the threat of his defense not improving, which is one thing that didn’t really happen last year. Mitchell could slip back to 20-21 points per game, 35 percent shooting from 3, and around 3.5 assists per game next year, and it wouldn’t be shocking. And when you consider the rest of the West, this Jazz team could be significantly improved even if Mitchell doesn’t meet expectations … and still win around 48 games and lose in the first round.

I can see his points going down but he will be better
Old 09-21-2019, 10:38 PM   #19
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Utah’s bench is looking a little thinner now than last season, but Royce O’Neale and Dante Exum have proven to be playable in the past, Ed Davis is a good signing who has proved effective everywhere he’s played, and Jeff Green is still capable of one scoring outburst per season.

when did Exum prove playable? Summer league?

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2019/...-20-lakers/13/
Old 09-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #20
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/09/22/uta...p-point-guard/

Quote:
The Utah Jazz got a major upgrade at point guard in Mike Conley, but who’s next on the depth chart? Ultimately, it may not be worth worrying about.

Mitchell/Ingles unless Exum, Goss, or Mudiay steps up

Quote:
It came as no surprise when the Jazz elected to move on from both players.

Yeah it was no surprise that the Jazz went the cheap route and moved on from Hill for someone that didn't fit. Their usual

Quote:
Also — the other point guards on the roster all come with some baggage. Dante Exum can’t shoot, doesn’t finish at the hoop well and he’s never been able to stay healthy. Emmanuel Mudiay was better last season, but he has struggled as a shooter and playmaker as well.

You forgot Exum can't hold onto the ball and Mudiay can't defend

Quote:
Really, anything the Jazz get from Exum, Mudiay and/or Williams-Goss is icing; the cake has already been baked.

it's not though because they only have 9 proven players. They need more than that even if they were incredibly healthy
Old 09-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #21
Bosnian Sajo
Bernie 2020

"I'm still on drugs!"
Bosnian Sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #22
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
"I'm still on drugs!"

I hope they are good ones at least
Old 09-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #23
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/09/24/uta...-fans-realize/

Quote:
As the Utah Jazz look for unique ways to maximize their new-look roster, fans shouldn’t be surprised if Emmanuel Mudiay plays a greater role than originally presumed.

They have 9 proven guys so some others need to step up and he's certainly shown some potential as at least a 6th man type and is still young

Quote:
But those were decent figures on a poor team, so it’s hard to get too excited about those marks.

Not really. Maybe surrounded by good players he can become more efficient and play better D?

Quote:
In a recent article from The Athletic (paid subscription required), Jazz insider Tony Jones revealed that the Utah Jazz are strongly considering moving Dante Exum off the ball this upcoming season. That would be an interesting development for the young guard who has been considered a point guard since entering the league.

a pg that can't finish, hit an open shot or hang onto the ball. An NBA player with those attributes

Quote:
That’s all fine and good if Dante can improve and become a weapon in whichever way the Jazz see fit. But if Exum is slid to more of a wing spot rather than the backup point guard position, that’s almost assuredly going to open up a massive opportunity for Emmanuel Mudiay. That sentiment was also backed up in the aforementioned piece from The Athletic as Jones made mention that Exum’s likely slide off ball would in theory make Mudiay a “primary option” at the backup point guard spot.

If everyone is healthy I see them fighting for the 10th spot in the rotation with the winner of the Kidd/Howard battle and Goss at least until Oni or Brantley are ready to contribute possibly latter in the year or the upgrade the roster

Quote:
While ideally he will indeed prove the doubters wrong and thrive – and that would certainly be a best case scenario for all involved – Jazz fans shouldn’t get too worried about whether Mudiay sinks or swims. If he succeeds, he could add a new wrinkle to the Jazz second unit as a dynamic backup point guard. However, if he sinks, the Jazz fortunately have multiple options to fall back on.

multiple unproven options
Old 09-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #24
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Andy Larsen: Jazz announce their broadcast plans for next season: Craig Bolerjack plus Matt Harpring for most games, with Thurl Bailey filling in when Harp isn’t available. Kristen Kenney still sideline reporter. Pre/post will come from Vivint main entrance studio, rather than upper level. – via Twitter andyblarsen

no Michael Smith?
Old 09-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #25
Xiao Yao You

Justin Zanik: I’m optimistic and we’re optimistic for the opportunity that we have because in the Western Conference we have so many good teams. Every game is going to be a competitive matchup and the East has improved as well. As we go into this (season), you want to be the last team standing so the decisions (you make), the people you hire — the coaches you have, the players you have — they’re coming here to (compete) too. We expect to compete. – via deseret.com

What does taking the next step look like for Donovan Mitchell? Justin Zanik: From a team standpoint, the expectations are on all of us. And it’s incumbent on us to help him grow, but the rest of the team’s got to perform as well. So it’s not a one-man show here. Donovan would probably be the first one to tell you that. He’s got his big brother protecting the rim, and he’s got guys around him that are talented, and he obviously learned a lot from Ricky Rubio, but the opportunity to play with Mike Conley is gonna be great. – via deseret.com

Justin Zanik: I was an agent for 15 years and I enjoyed a lot of it — the player relationships and building careers. When I moved over to the team side, it was for a couple of reasons. One was (executive vice president of basketball operations) Dennis Lindsey, who I considered a mentor and a top performer in his job. With the experiences, it fit me and my family very well and especially the state of Utah, the city of Salt Lake, the Millers who have embraced us. I’ve fallen in love with the Mountain West and I couldn’t imagine doing it anywhere else. – via deseret.com
Old 09-25-2019, 12:46 AM   #26
Xiao Yao You

https://www.ksl.com/article/46644501...-who-wont-play

Quote:
Ben Anderson: The Jazz are deep, so who won’t play?

how are they always deep? They have 9 proven guys that should play and Exum who probably shouldn't but will

Quote:
Unless one of the non-guaranteed camp invitees makes a major impact in the preseason, don’t be surprised to see the Jazz enter the season without a full 15-man roster. Draft picks Jarrell Brantley and Justin Wright-Foreman will begin the season with the two-way contracts, splitting time between the G League affiliate Utah Stars and the Jazz.

I'd be surprised. Howard looks good from what I saw

Quote:
Bradley will likely be squeezed out of the rotation with Gobert and Davis filling the minutes at center. Oni is just a rookie, and though he looked like a more-than-capable shooter during the NBA Summer League — a skill the Jazz need — it’s unlikely, based on his college experience and physical tools, that he’ll be ready to contribute to the Jazz this season.

I think Oni and Brantley could help them later in the year

Quote:
That leaves Exum, Mudiay, Williams-Goss and Niang batting for the final spot. Of those four, three have seen the majority of their career minutes spent at point guard, while Niang has filled the role of a sharp-shooting multi-tool. Niang enters the season with a guaranteed deal, but he was allowed to skip summer league, which is a good indication the Jazz trust his development.

He dominated summer league and Gleague. Stupid to have him there. He was in the rotation in the playoffs and is one of their best offensive players. He should play

Quote:
By adding Bogdanovic and Green, though, the Jazz added two high-level rotation players that share Niang's skill set, and do it better than the fourth-year forward. Simply put, it’s difficult to find a role for Niang that allows him to find regular rotation minutes.

Bogdanovic is a 3. Not sure Green is better actually

Quote:
Of the 42 contests, Exum was available to play in last season, he recorded 10 minutes or more in 34 of those outings. Mudiay, though new to the roster, played 10 minutes or more in 58 of his 59 outings with the disastrous New York Knicks last season. Williams-Goss is the biggest mystery of this group, having spent two productive years overseas since the Jazz drafted him out of Gonzaga. As a rookie, I’d lean away from him as a rotation player to begin the season.

He's an old rookie who has proven himself abroad.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:51 AM   #27
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/09/24/uta...ordon-hayward/

Yeah like Hood and Favors were ahead of Gobert and Hill
Old 09-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #28
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseret.com/2019/9/25/20...-five-in-years

Quote:
With the first preseason game of the season next Saturday, the hype for the Utah Jazz is ramping up. In the Jazz’s season preview for NBA.com, Shaun Powell writes glowingly about Utah, calling the 2019-2020 squad the Jazz’s “most accomplished starting five in years, perhaps since the John Stockton-Karl Malone era,” on paper at least.

No perhaps no matter who takes the 5th spot. They've never had 3 20 point scorers and another who is their best player!
Old 09-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #29
Xiao Yao You

https://twitter.com/utahjazz/status/...-five-in-years

looks like still waiting on Rudy and Bojan and 5 others
Old 09-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #30
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/09/25/uta...west-division/

Quote:
Instead, that title goes to the one between two rising young stars: Donovan Mitchell and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.

Is Shai a rising star?

Adams/Gobert
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: