Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-30-2018, 05:40 PM   #61
bullettooth
I don't flop.

Default Re: 2018 Playoffs East Semifinals GT: (1) Toronto Raptors vs (4) Cleveland Cavaliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
raps in 4 unless Silver happens

FTFY
bullettooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #62
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Default Re: 2018 Playoffs East Semifinals GT: (1) Toronto Raptors vs (4) Cleveland Cavaliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hold this L
Lets go choke artists, you can do this Raptors

Goal here is dominate the front court, cut the guards. Lebron can get his and still easily lose.
Yes, because that worked for Indiana?
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:20 PM   #63
raprap
NBA sixth man of the year

If Casey was smart, Big daddy V should play 30+ mins. Look at what baby Sabonis did to that Cavs front court lol

Raps in 6. If it goes 7 tho... it would be tough to bet against big game James
raprap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:10 PM   #64
tpols
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKreager
Toronto needs to do what the Atlanta Hawks did against Dwight Howard and the Magic in the 2011 playoffs; Let the star player knock himself out and stop his supporting crew.

If the King scores 40 points so be it. Make sure you play the other 4 guys Cleveland puts on the floor very well.

Let Bron get his points; contain the rest of the Cavs.

In 2011, Dwight had a 46 point 19 rebound game against the Hawks, but he got so little help they lost.

Basically, if LeBron scores 39 but the rest of the Cavs don't do their stuff, they ain't winning.

Also similar to Celtics/Wizards last year and Boston stopping the non-Wall/Beal guys.

Unless someone else steps up and provides consistent scoring for the land, this series may be beyond even LeBron's mercy.

Like, what if Tristan's game 7 was a one-game fluke ala Kelly Olynyk last year in game 7 vs. Washington?

Lebron aint Dwight. He can hit guys if there even a little open while Dwight was an awful passer. Plus hell bury teams that can't keep up. It will come down to whether trash bros show up or not.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #65
Naero
The Great Wall of Text

I see many are underpinning the pyramidal theory in their “Raptors over Cavaliers” predictions—that is, assuming that just because the Cavaliers struggled against a lower-rung team in the Pacers that they’ll lose against the Raptors—but it isn’t that simple; it boils down more so to how well the Raptors can actualize their potential, which they don’t have a stellar track record of doing.

The same pyramidal theory was used last year in light of the Cavaliers-Pacers series (Pacers were much more competitive than rememberable), and we remember the upshot of it: the Raptors didn’t even whiff a win as the Pacers did in every game of the prior series. Yes, the Cavaliers first-round scares should be alarming for them, but it doesn’t at all mean the series will be a cinch for the Raptors just because they’re higher-tiered on paper.

Do I feel that the Raptors will get (gentleman-)swept for the third-consecutive year? Not at all; the Cavaliers have clearly regressed, whereas the Raptors, divergently, have improved. But after watching the Wizards series, I’m not ready to conclude that they’ll have moved the needle meteorically enough from getting (gentleman-)swept by the Cavaliers the previous-two years to vanquishing their eliminators in a similar fashion this year—as some seem to be predicting, here.

I think the Raptors will play up to their near-60-win caliber for most of their home games; but if they don’t do so for all of them, the Cavaliers will smell blood—and predate them, accordingly. I have yet to see a Cavaliers-Raptors playoffs game wherein it was still competitive by the second half; and while they obviously shouldn’t be susceptible to the same mountainous margin of loss this year, I’d still find them to be in dire straits if they were tasked to winning any “must-win” game in The Q.

Superstar match-ups will obviously be important—not just whether or not the Trash Bros show up but also how they defend LeBron. They shouldn’t double-team LeBron as they’ve done in previous series; they can endure his scoring bouts (he’s not inexhaustible), but they shouldn’t accentuate his greatest strength in playmaking; otherwise, he’ll find ample help to win this series.

Bottom-line prediction: Cavaliers in 6.
Naero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #66
G0ATbe
Enlightened Kobe Stan

Default Re: 2018 Playoffs Round 2: (1) Toronto Raptors vs (4) Cleveland Cavaliers Game Thread

Cavs in 4.
G0ATbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:39 AM   #67
kav23
I usually hit open layups

Default Re: 2018 Playoffs Round 2: (1) Toronto Raptors vs (4) Cleveland Cavaliers Game Thread

Cavaliers in 6. Do you really think ESPN wants to air an East finals featuring the Raptors?
kav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:27 AM   #68
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naero
I see many are underpinning the pyramidal theory in their “Raptors over Cavaliers” predictions—that is, assuming that just because the Cavaliers struggled against a lower-rung team in the Pacers that they’ll lose against the Raptors—but it isn’t that simple; it boils down more so to how well the Raptors can actualize their potential, which they don’t have a stellar track record of doing.

The same pyramidal theory was used last year in light of the Cavaliers-Pacers series (Pacers were much more competitive than rememberable), and we remember the upshot of it: the Raptors didn’t even whiff a win as the Pacers did in every game of the prior series. Yes, the Cavaliers first-round scares should be alarming for them, but it doesn’t at all mean the series will be a cinch for the Raptors just because they’re higher-tiered on paper.

Do I feel that the Raptors will get (gentleman-)swept for the third-consecutive year? Not at all; the Cavaliers have clearly regressed, whereas the Raptors, divergently, have improved. But after watching the Wizards series, I’m not ready to conclude that they’ll have moved the needle meteorically enough from getting (gentleman-)swept by the Cavaliers the previous-two years to vanquishing their eliminators in a similar fashion this year—as some seem to be predicting, here.

I think the Raptors will play up to their near-60-win caliber for most of their home games; but if they don’t do so for all of them, the Cavaliers will smell blood—and predate them, accordingly. I have yet to see a Cavaliers-Raptors playoffs game wherein it was still competitive by the second half; and while they obviously shouldn’t be susceptible to the same mountainous margin of loss this year, I’d still find them to be in dire straits if they were tasked to winning any “must-win” game in The Q.

Superstar match-ups will obviously be important—not just whether or not the Trash Bros show up but also how they defend LeBron. They shouldn’t double-team LeBron as they’ve done in previous series; they can endure his scoring bouts (he’s not inexhaustible), but they shouldn’t accentuate his greatest strength in playmaking; otherwise, he’ll find ample help to win this series.

Bottom-line prediction: Cavaliers in 6.

2016 went 6 games
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #69
zeerghit
National High School Star

anyone who saying cavs in 4 or 6 so just go and bet ur money u will triple it
zeerghit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #70
SilkkTheShocker
Curry: 0x Finals MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocirap31
Raptors in 5. Cleveland isn't very good. Lebron has to tire eventually.
Indiana couldnt' stop LeBron, and they had an actual star player and physical defenders to throw at LeBron. Not to mention JV is almost unplayable vs Cleveland.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #71
SilkkTheShocker

I have Cavs in 5. This will be Cavs easiest series in the east. Boston will be a lot tougher next round because they are physical, intimidating HCA, and have the best coach in the league. Cleveland is going to win one of the first two in Toronto, and the Raps are going to fold.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #72
E_Stamkos
Friendliest Poster :)

I wish I felt more confident going into this tilt but given our history and of course the standout dominance of LeBron, I can't help but to feel dubious.

I'm hoping our depth off the pine can wear him into the ground, allowing for Lowry and Demar to go to work in the 4th on spry legs. Having home court advantage may be the biggest point of favour as well.

My heart is saying Raps in 7 but I dunno.

In a life and death situation (at this point) I would probably lean towards the Cavs in 7.
E_Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #73
ImKobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
I have Cavs in 5. This will be Cavs easiest series in the east. Boston will be a lot tougher next round because they are physical, intimidating HCA, and have the best coach in the league. Cleveland is going to win one of the first two in Toronto, and the Raps are going to fold.

Boston ain't making it past the 2nd round. This ain't the old Cavs that used to play some defense, this is the Cavs team that gives up 20+ to any payer in the NBA, which is a huge concern because Lebron is going to be gassed trying to keep up with the scoreboard. I think this series comes down to a Game 7 because the Raps look better than they ever have, previous years they had injury issues and weren't half as good on defense.
ImKobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #74
SilkkTheShocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKobe
Boston ain't making it past the 2nd round. This ain't the old Cavs that used to play some defense, this is the Cavs team that gives up 20+ to any payer in the NBA, which is a huge concern because Lebron is going to be gassed trying to keep up with the scoreboard. I think this series comes down to a Game 7 because the Raps look better than they ever have, previous years they had injury issues and weren't half as good on defense.
Indiana has a way better roster to slow the Cavs down. LeBron is going to score at will, and Toronto doesn't have bigs like Turner and Sabonis that can move around the perimeter.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #75
ImKobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
Indiana has a way better roster to slow the Cavs down. LeBron is going to score at will, and Toronto doesn't have bigs like Turner and Sabonis that can move around the perimeter.

Yeah, but Toronto can score a lot more. Indy could slow the Cavs down, but they struggled to put up points against one of the worst defenses in the league. Ibaka is still a good defender.
ImKobe is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: