Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Undefeated

Default Re: Which PF was the best at their peak?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantis
    In my opinion, what separates great from the best is superlative performance in the postseason. Regular season dominance is necessary but not sufficient for GOAT status, and I think Dirk's 2011 performance puts him on top. To me, a single world-class performance is more important than sustained regular season dominance, or even several very good, but not superlative postseasons. I just never feel like KG, or even Duncan ever dominated in the way that Dirk did in 2011. I wasn't around to watch Barkley play, so I don't really have anything to say about him.
    Dirk was ordinary in the finals. Everybody knows it was a fluke championship spearheaded by Wade choking/trying to be the man

Nice try though.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KiiiiNG
    Dirk was ordinary in the finals. Everybody knows it was a fluke championship spearheaded by Wade choking/trying to be the man

Nice try though.
    Reported

Quote Originally Posted by KiiiiNG
    I say racist shit about blacks almost daily, I'm pretty much immune to bans

Plus I have like 7 different accounts so I'm not tripping either way.
    nice life, green polo

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Im no duncan fan but you need to respect

He was a monster in his hayday

Two way dominance, something that Dirk/Barkley/Malone were missing

Dirk is an underated defender though

Barkley was such an ass defender, he was arguably better offensively than dirk but just so shitty defensively...seriously the worst....peep any full game of barkley and try to refute this shit....you cannot...was the absolute worst defender of all time at the power forward position

I don't disagree that defensive prowess is undervalued in this analysis, but it is factored in to some extent... Blocks and steals account for some of it. But more significantly, better defense should correlate with more wins, and a player's score is heavily affected by his win %.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieSteve
    I don't disagree that defensive prowess is undervalued in this analysis, but it is factored in to some extent... Blocks and steals account for some of it. But more significantly, better defense should correlate with more wins, and a player's score is heavily affected by his win %.
    I am all with your new look at statistical analysis but the final check should be watching the games

watch the games, watch barkley's defense...I'm not making shit up

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Its funny that they want to descredit that the smallest PF ever as also being the best in his Peak But i dont wonder why. Its frustrating when the smallest dude eats u alive every game. Prime Barkley was better than any PF ever. Just watch the games...
    Last edited by Round Mound; 11-23-2016 at 03:29 AM.

96 Kemp out played Richmond, Hakeem, Malone and Jordan in a single playoff run on both sides of the court. No one comes close to this. 93 Barkley would be second best.

Quote Originally Posted by CAstill
    96 Kemp out played Richmond, Hakeem, Malone and Jordan in a single playoff run on both sides of the court. No one comes close to this. 93 Barkley would be second best.
    A playoff run during which he averaged 20.9ppg, 10.4rpg and 1.5apg? Every single one of the five guys in this list has multiple playoff runs that exceed this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    Its funny that they want to descredit that the smallest PF ever as also being the best in his Peak But i dont wonder why. Its frustrating when the smallest dude eats u alive every game. Prime Barkley was better than any PF ever. Just watch the games...
    And Duncan at his peak provided a similar level of scoring and rebounding while being a DPOY level defender. Duncan shits on any PF and it's not particularly close either.

Basketball is played on two ends. Give me the guys who could dominate on the defensive end and near dominant scoring on the offensive end. So for me:

Duncan/KG
    Barkley/Malone/Dirk

Numbers can only tell you so much. But the IMPACT of a great defender can't really be measured.

1- Duncan 03
    2- Garnett 04

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantis
    In my opinion, what separates great from the best is superlative performance in the postseason. Regular season dominance is necessary but not sufficient for GOAT status, and I think Dirk's 2011 performance puts him on top. To me, a single world-class performance is more important than sustained regular season dominance, or even several very good, but not superlative postseasons. I just never feel like KG, or even Duncan ever dominated in the way that Dirk did in 2011. I wasn't around to watch Barkley play, so I don't really have anything to say about him.
    Dirk 2011 is not even listed among the OP and do you discount the defensive end? IMO, of those listed by OP (which I assume he picked the most dominant run of each player) only Duncan in 03 culminated in a championship (that's the goal, isn't it?)

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Basketball is played on two ends. Give me the guys who could dominate on the defensive end and near dominant scoring on the offensive end. So for me:

Duncan/KG
    Barkley/Malone/Dirk

Numbers can only tell you so much. But the IMPACT of a great defender can't really be measured.
    You and warriorfan got it right. Defense matters, and elite two-way bigs will always be more impactful than purely offensive players like Barkley or Dirk. To be fair, Malone was solid defensively (thats why I rank him above Barkley/Dirk), just not on the level of KG/TD.

GOAT career achievments Duncan

GOAT to build a team around KG

GOAT 4th quarter mamba closer Dirk

GOAT overweight Barkley