Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default MJ: 45 points in his last finals game at the age of 35!

With the game winner to boot. That's what the GOAT does.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: MJ: 45 points in his last finals game at the age of 35!

As usual, MJ saved his best, FOR the best - the 1998 Utah Jazz had a 100.3 defensive rating (DRtg) in the playoffs - that's a better playoff DRtg than any team Lebron ever faced in the Finals.

It's also better than any team Kobe ever faced as the #1 option.. I have to use the "#1 option" caveat because Kobe did face teams with lower DRtg while playing alongside Shaq between 1999 and 2004 (the NBA's only low DRtg period).

Overall, the DRtg's that MJ faced in the 90's were exactly the same Lebron has faced his entire career (2005-2015) and also Kobe's post-Shaq years (same period, 2005-2015).

Interestingly, if you compare MJ's 2nd three-peat (1996-1998) to Kobe's non-Shaq championship years (2008-2010), MJ faced lower DRtg defenses while putting up better stats.. There's a whole thread on it:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...php?p=11319566
    Last edited by 3ball; 05-17-2015 at 08:16 AM.

kobe-esque

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    kobe-esque
    Kobe was 6-24 in his last finals game at the age of 32 in 2010.

This is the greatness of MJ. When Kobe made his last finals at the age of 32 and started declining in 2011, MJ came back from retirement at the age of 33 and 3 peated. Being the alpha on teams with the two best regular seasons ever and adding 3 more fmvp. Wins his last ring at 35.

People seldom talk about the fact that he dominated at the age of 35. He was still far and away the best player in the game at that age, which is unheard of for a wing player.

He came, he saw, he conquered.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Wow are you serious? Is that some kind of record in low efficiency? He must have lost right?

NBA lottery pick

35 year old MJ > Prime Bran.

Quote Originally Posted by AintNoSunshine
    Wow are you serious? Is that some kind of record in low efficiency? He must have lost right?
    Game 7 against Boston in 2010. But he did have like 16 rebounds. But Lakers won that game primarily due to Artest and Gasol. But Kobe was clearly deserving of fmvp in that series despite a weak game 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca$H
    35 year old MJ > Prime Bran.
    it's ****ed up, but it's true.

Local High School Star

This is the greatness of MJ. When Kobe made his last finals at the age of 32 and started declining in 2011, MJ came back from retirement at the age of 33 and 3 peated. Being the alpha on teams with the two best regular seasons ever and adding 3 more fmvp. Wins his last ring at 35.

People seldom talk about the fact that he dominated at the age of 35. He was still far and away the best player in the game at that age, which is unheard of for a wing player.

Jordan's performance at the age of 35 is practically unheard of. I also feel that if Klause and Reinsdorf had not jettisoned Phil Jackson, which led to Pippen (and I think Kukoc?) leaving in 1999 season, all of them could have stayed one more year. In that lockout shortened season, I believe the Bulls would have been fresher and probably would have won against the Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
    kobe-esque

Quote Originally Posted by Elosha
    Jordan's performance at the age of 35 is practically unheard of. I also feel that if Klause and Reinsdorf had not jettisoned Phil Jackson, which led to Pippen (and I think Kukoc?) leaving in 1999 season, all of them could have stayed one more year. In that lockout shortened season, I believe the Bulls would have been fresher and probably would have won against the Spurs.
    It's not unheard of for a big but absolutely unheard of for a wing player. His efficiency and performance, even at the age of 35, is up there with the best of all time. The guy won fmvp at 33, 34 and 35. Won regular season mvp at 33 and 35 and should've also won it at 34 but when you are so much better than everyone else, voters feel the need to give it to someone else (Malone).

MJ's last minute offensive/defensive sequence (stealing ball from Malone and hitting series winner) in game 6 of the 1998 finals defines his career. Meaning he was dominant on both ends of the court.

Local High School Star

It's not unheard of for a big but absolutely unheard of for a wing player. His efficiency and performance, even at the age of 35, is up there with the best of all time. The guy won fmvp at 33, 34 and 35. Won regular season mvp at 33 and 35 and should've also won it at 34 but when you are so much better than everyone else, voters feel the need to give it to someone else (Malone).

MJ's last minute offensive/defensive sequence (stealing ball from Malone and hitting series winner) in game 6 of the 1998 finals defines his career. Meaning he was dominant on both ends of the court.

Absolutely. What I meant related to the bold above is that his playoff performance at the age of 35 is almost unheard of. I guess Kareem may have had comparable regular season performances at 35, but I don't think he dominated the playoffs to the extent as Jordan at 35 or older. Too lazy to look it all up right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Elosha
    Absolutely. What I meant related to the bold above is that his playoff performance at the age of 35 is almost unheard of. I guess Kareem may have had comparable regular season performances at 35, but I don't think he dominated the playoffs to the extent as Jordan at 35 or older. Too lazy to look it all up right now...
    Yeah, Kareem is the one guy I can think of who had stretches of dominance at 35. But even he couldn't do it for 82 games and then give you 30 ppg for the entire playoffs at that age and great D. I think even considering bigs, no one in history was close to as dominant as MJ at 35.

B-b-but his TS was still great!