Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kevin Mchale vs Dirk Nowitzki All time

9 Votes for Mchale
    9 Votes for Dirk

=d

Would need to see Dirk having a guy like Yao Ming inside next to him, something Robert Parish gave McHale. McHale got a lot of room to work inside due to playing with Larry Bird & Robert Parish. It was hard to key on him. Alot harder than when you are playing next to Josh Howard/Caron Butler and Erick Dampier/Brendan Haywood/Shawn Bradley.

With that said, both are historically underrated players and, IMHO, the 4th and 5th best PFs of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    Would need to see Dirk having a guy like Yao Ming inside next to him, something Robert Parish gave McHale. McHale got a lot of room to work inside due to playing with Larry Bird & Robert Parish. It was hard to key on him. Alot harder than when you are playing next to Josh Howard/Caron Butler and Erick Dampier/Brendan Haywood/Shawn Bradley.

With that said, both are historically underrated players and, IMHO, the 4th and 5th best PFs of all time.
    1.Duncan
    2. Barkley/Malone/Garnett
    3. Malone/Barkley/Garnett
    4.Garnett/Malone/Barkley

?

1. Duncan
    2. Barkley
    3. Malone
    4. Dirk/McHale
    5. McHale/Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    1. Duncan
    2. Barkley
    3. Malone
    4. Dirk/McHale
    5. McHale/Dirk
    '

O i see.

So this is one of those list where we pretend KG didn't excist

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Dirk's a better player overall but takes too many difficult shots and the rest of my team will just stand around and twiddle their thumbs while Dirk sets up free throw line extended and dribbles the ball into the ground to get off a one footed fadeaway.

Getting the ball into the post with McHale would make the offense flow easier, could create open shots due to double teams, or easy scores.

Plus I have no questions about Kevin's toughness/aggressiveness.

This is why I choose Kevin.
    Yeah, let's ignore that McHale was one of the biggest black holes in NBA history. Not too bad a thing when he's hitting 60% from the floor, but he does not make your offense flow easier by any means. Dirk is clearly a better distributor and 1st option.
    McHale has never had to prove anything in his career as the 2nd or 3rd option. He's a Pau Gasol type of player. Dirk on the other hand has been the sole leader of his team for close to a decade and has had massive team and individual success. Dirk is clearly better

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
    '

O i see.

So this is one of those list where we pretend KG didn't excist
    No, he exists, I just dont think he was as good as those top 5.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    Yeah, let's ignore that McHale was one of the biggest black holes in NBA history. Not too bad a thing when he's hitting 60% from the floor, but he does not make your offense flow easier by any means. Dirk is clearly a better distributor and 1st option.
    McHale has never had to prove anything in his career as the 2nd or 3rd option. He's a Pau Gasol type of player. Dirk on the other hand has been the sole leader of his team for close to a decade and has had massive team and individual success. Dirk is clearly better
    Riiight so despite being the most efficient player on his team he should give the ball up to someone less efficient? I understand that if he's doubled or whatever he needs to pass it up but I'm sure he did (haven't seen THAT much of him seeing as I'm 18).

Great team success, Dirk? Not too sure there...

College star

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    Riiight so despite being the most efficient player on his team he should give the ball up to someone less efficient? I understand that if he's doubled or whatever he needs to pass it up but I'm sure he did (haven't seen THAT much of him seeing as I'm 18).

Great team success, Dirk? Not too sure there...
    I didn't say that. But to say he makes you offense flow better? This is flat out wrong. McHale wasn't the Duncan/Shaq type where you could dump it inside and they'd kick it out to the open man. McHale couldn't and didn't run the offense. Dirk does.

And no, he didn't always pass the ball when he needed to. He wasn't nicknamed "The Black Hole" by Danny Ainge for no reason.

TrueDiesel3
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I didn't say that. But to say he makes you offense flow better? This is flat out wrong. McHale wasn't the Duncan/Shaq type where you could dump it inside and they'd kick it out to the open man. McHale couldn't and didn't run the offense. Dirk does.

And no, he didn't always pass the ball when he needed to. He wasn't nicknamed "The Black Hole" by Danny Ainge for no reason.
    You're right, McHale probably couldn't score like Dirk could. But Dirk couldn't even come close to playing the defense or rebounding like McHale could, and that's more than half the game right there. Mchale was greater and better, not to mention McHale had sick post moves, Dirk is too busy taking elbow jumpers.

10 votes for Dirk
    9 votes for Mchale

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Hard choice, McHale has like the best footwork ever, only Hakeem and few others come close, so if your team needs highly efficient post player who gets it done, Mchale is the choice. If you need PF who spreads the floor - Dirk is amazing.

McHale peaked at 26.1/9.9/2.6 at 60.3% FG! Thats an insane efficiency, even Shaq in his prime havent reached that.

Dirk peaked at 26.6/9.0/2.8 at 48% FG. In regular season McHale was considerably better, how about playoffs?

McHale 25.4/8.0/2.4 at 60.3% FG
    Dirk 27.0/11.7/2.9 at 46.8% FG.

Dirk is more clutch, but I doubt he is better rebounder though, McHale played with two other ~7ft who each grabbed ~10 rebounds, while Dirk is the main rebounder. IMO as primary rebounder Mchale would grab as much if not more.

For primary option I might pick Dirk, he elevates his game in the Playoffs, and I value clutchness a lot. His prime lasted longer. But its hard to build around soft jumpshooter, and I dont need to go far to prove my point - with a lot of regular season success Dirk's teams fall flat in the Playoffs, always.

McHale is better as a second option, but then again we dont know how he would have done as a 1st option, super stacked teams makes it harder to evaluate such solid role player. But make no mistake - Dirk wouldnt be 1st option on Bird's Celtics as well.

Bottom line: I would probably choose McHale, as 1st option IMO his points and rebounds would go up, efficiency would go slightly down. Team up him with someone like Ray, Pierce or Melo, and you are set for the Playoffs too. McHale efficiency is mind boggling, he had range too. Against current weak frontcourts he would have a field day, probably 28/12 with 55%, definitely a Top5 player.
    Great Analysis.

McHale was the "2nd Best Scoring PF of All Time in the 2-Point Region" after Barkley and as a "Defender in the Paint"...Better than Dirk. Rebounding wise maybe better too. Dirk was a Better "Off the Dribble Scorer", "Pure Shooter" and "Game Creator" (maybe even "Better Passer")

College star

Quote Originally Posted by TrueDiesel3
    You're right, McHale probably couldn't score like Dirk could. But Dirk couldn't even come close to playing the defense or rebounding like McHale could, and that's more than half the game right there. Mchale was greater and better, not to mention McHale had sick post moves, Dirk is too busy taking elbow jumpers.
    It's not about scoring. It's about running your offense through someone, which is by far the most important aspect of a great #1 option. Dirk is that guy, McHale is not, because he, despite being a great scorer, was never and could never have been the focal point of an offense

TrueDiesel3
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

It's not about scoring. It's about running your offense through someone, which is by far the most important aspect of a great #1 option. Dirk is that guy, McHale is not, because he, despite being a great scorer, was never and could never have been the focal point of an offense
    McHale was more efficient than Dirk, did you watch McHale live? I didn't, and I'll admit that, but based off of stats and accomplishments there's no question that McHale was greater and better than Dirk was.