Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shaq regrets leaving the Magic

ORLANDO, Fla. -- If he had it to do over again, Shaquille O'Neal says he wishes he would have been more patient before leaving the Orlando Magic.

O'Neal said Friday after an "unexpected" induction into the Magic's Hall of Fame that being young and wanting to win right away prompted him to leave for the Los Angeles Lakers in free agency in 1996.

The perennial All-Star and four-time NBA champion said the choice was a "business decision," but believes the Magic team that reached the NBA Finals in 1995 could have won a title if it would have stayed together longer.

O'Neal became the third inductee into the Magic's Hall, joining co-founder Pat Williams and Nick Anderson, the Magic's first draft pick.
    What if, after spending the first four seasons of his NBA career with the Orlando Magic, he hadn't signed a free-agent deal to join the Los Angeles Lakers in 1996?

"Knowing what I know now, I would've stayed," O'Neal said. "I would've stayed and fulfilled my seven years and then looked at it differently after my seventh year."

"That's why I kind of regret it, because we had a young, fabulous team," O'Neal said. "We really did. And it's a shame that we got torn apart. But I think about that all the time. I try not to live my life now on 'ifs' or 'would've, should've,' but do I regret leaving here in '96, yes I do."
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...agic-hall-fame

Any truth to what he's saying, or is he just being political? (Orlando just inducted him into their HOF)

I'm not one to mince words, but I kinda feel this is a slap in the face to LA. They supplemented this guy with heaps of talent plus (arguably) the second greatest SG and GOAT coach. Interesting stuff nevertheless.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Default Re: Shaq regrets leaving the Magic

He has said millions of times LA was the best place he played.

Shaq is lying his ass off.

Decent college freshman game3524's Avatar

Shaq is just trying to be nice. Going to LA was the best thing for his career, on/off the court.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

only because in hindsight Penny got hurt and Shaq wouldn't have had to answer questions about who's the bigger star anymore

Absolutely a political answer. His legacy and case for being a top 10 player is based on his LA career. No way he repeats this success without Phil and Kobe.

College star

Lmaoo

If you think Shaq regrets leaving Orlando to play with the quite arguably the GOAT coach Phil Jackson and another Top 10 GOAT in Kobe Bryant...in Los Angeles. In front of film stars and celebrities every night, seamlessly aligning with his branding and business goals -- em route to 3 champi....

You know what. Nvm. If you're buying what Shaq's selling, I've got a pretty dope sand castle for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    Lmaoo

If you think Shaq regrets leaving Orlando to play with the quite arguably the GOAT coach Phil Jackson and another Top 10 GOAT in Kobe Bryant...in Los Angeles. In front of film stars and celebrities every night, seamlessly aligning with his branding and business goals -- em route to 3 champi....

You know what. Nvm. If you're buying what Shaq's selling, I've got a pretty dope sand castle for sale.
    Yeah, Shaq is as big of an attention whore there is. No way he "regrets" his decision.

BTW, if you're directing that post to me, I was only posing the question to others. Not a big fan of his comments regardless of his intentions though.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

If Penny stayed healthy with Shaq...mmmm

Yeah ok

Politically correct but a big *ss lie.

OTOH, looking the 90s Magic in perspective, with Penny healthy they might have reach finals from 99 on and probably get some rings (after getting raped by Bulls 97 and 98)

Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    If Penny stayed healthy with Shaq...mmmm
    With how weak the east got, I'm sure he'd have multiple trips to the finals. He might even win a championship, but no way does he repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    With how weak the east got, I'm sure he'd have multiple trips to the finals. He might even win a championship, but no way does he repeat.
    It'd be very interesting to see how things would have unfolded. Who do you think beats the Magic with Shaq and healthy Penny in the early 2000's? Blazers, Spurs, Kings?

[QUOTE=MJistheGOAT]Politically correct but a big *ss lie.

OTOH, looking the 90s Magic in perspective, with Penny healthy they might have reach finals from 99 on and probably get some rings (after getting raped by Bulls 97 and 98)

Kobe

Decent college freshman game3524's Avatar

[QUOTE=MJistheGOAT]Politically correct but a big *ss lie.

[B]Kobe