Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default A deeper look at dreams

I keep on getting these recurring dreams of people I absolutely do not recognize in real life, but know so well in my dreams. I find this subject fascinating because base on Freud's theory, dreams should be latent, meaning the recollections are on experiences we have in real life, but dreams seem to take on a whole new dimension: I see people I think are close to me (including a house that I thought was my old house), but I have never encountered these places or people (yes including seeing them in the media, magazines, TV, or whatever).

Anyone else experience the same thing?

Default Re: A deeper look at dreams

No, but I don't think Freud's theory is true. Your subconscious mind takes control during your dreams, and produces whatever it can imagine. The other night I was purposefully trying to retain consciousness as my body fell asleep, and it's amazing the images that pop up in your head just before you enter sleep. I seen a wall made of faces, strung together by colorful plastic, all singing together. Some worm-like creature with black spines but a smiling white face. Many other things I probably forgot by now! So I don't think dreams have to reflect you real life experience at all.

Well the only thing you can dream about is things you've seen before... there's no way that your brain can make up people or anything else that you have not already seen at some point in your life.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

I did a school report for a Psych class a few semesters ago on dreams and was interested to find out that all the studies over the years done on it, has only come back with theories of what dreams could be. What seems to happen when we sleep is that the rest of our body rests, but the brain does not. The brain never rests. Thus, while our body is asleep, it needs to keep itself busy somehow, and it creates some jumbled up thoughts that come across as dreams. We scantily remember them because we are not focused on these images as they are part of our subconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by eriX
    Well the only thing you can dream about is things you've seen before... there's no way that your brain can make up people or anything else that you have not already seen at some point in your life.
    Pretty much. OP might be dreaming about random strangers he had seen on the street or a in movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    I did a school report for a Psych class a few semesters ago on dreams and was interested to find out that all the studies over the years done on it, has only come back with theories of what dreams could be. What seems to happen when we sleep is that the rest of our body rests, but the brain does not. The brain never rests. Thus, while our body is asleep, it needs to keep itself busy somehow, and it creates some jumbled up thoughts that come across as dreams. We scantily remember them because we are not focused on these images as they are part of our subconscious.
    DMT baby. I remember reading somewhere that our brain is a little bit more inactive compared to awaken state something like 20%.

You can close your eyes right now and imagine something you've never seen in your life. It's not hard. And when you dream the logical part of your brain is turned off, so it's even more imaginative.
    Last edited by joe; 05-18-2013 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    You can remember your dreams in full detail and even be completely conscious while you dream. If you write down your dreams every night, within a week you'll start remembering more of your dreams. I write down 2-3 pages worth of dreams a night when I'm really into it. If I stop writing them down I go right back to not remembering.

Lucid dreaming is one of the most amazing experiences that everyone should have at least once. That moment when you're in a dream, and suddenly you realize that you're dreaming. Endless possibilities, no limits, it's just insane. I've shot a laser beam at a gigantic dragon and watched it explode into billions of pieces and rain down all over me in a dream, fully conscious, and I remember it just like I remember doing anything in real life. haha. The only problem is I can't do it every night :/
    Last edited by joe; 05-18-2013 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    You can close your eyes right now and imagine something you've never seen in your life. It's not hard. And when you dream the logical part of your brain is turned off, so it's even more imaginative.
    Then you've technically seen it before.

Like if you read a book and it's describing a unicorn with shark tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Then you've technically seen it before.

Like if you read a book and it's describing a unicorn with shark tooth.
    Technically is another word for misrepresenting the point ;)

its not possible... just like its not possible to describe to someone blind what colour is. Your creativity is limited by your knowledge, hence why knowledge is often considered to be "power" because it expands your creativity and other stuff. Being imaginative does not equal to actually making stuff up.

Earned not given

its not possible... just like its not possible to describe to someone blind what colour is. Your creativity is limited by your knowledge, hence why knowledge is often considered to be "power" because it expands your creativity and other stuff. Being imaginative does not equal to actually making stuff up.
    I've always wondered if there are colors in the rest of the universe that our brains can't imagine. Or shapes that we've never seen of before. It makes my brain hurt sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    I've always wondered if there are colors in the rest of the universe that our brains can't imagine. Or shapes that we've never seen of before. It makes my brain hurt sometimes
    http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/c...ypes_of_color/

I don't think Freud was all that. he was just doing a lot of coke. Some of his shit was interesting, though. It's more of something you learn FROM opposed to study.

Dreams and imagination are similar, I think. It's weird when your memory mixes with them. I've had moments in my life where I suddenly remembered something didn't happen, that it was a dream. Or moments in dreams that I know were dreams, but I remember them in detail as if it happened.

I think there is more to dreams than just what our mind is doing while we sleep. I don't want to say it's another world, but it's at least a different plane. Can people meet in dreams? Have the same dream? That's some crazy shit, so I dunno.

When I was a kid, I was fascinated with dreams and the subconscious. I already have a lot of lucid dreams, but I wanted to actually project myself, and I did it... but it was freaky. I got up and walked out of my house, but the world was empty and dark. It's strange that empty, foggy, darkness is all over my subconscious. Basically, to do that, you have to focus enough to fall half asleep but not let yourself go all the way to sleep because you'll lose control, per se. So, it's a balance between that and waking up.

Long story short: we may never understand dreams because they are so different from person to person. Still, no time is wasted when you try to decipher your dreams. You can learn a lot about yourself.

-Smak

I disagree with this. What exists that we haven't seen? That isn't a combination of what we've seen. It's like numbers or letters. Tell what what you are imagining right now that you haven't seen. I would guess it is composed of parts of things you have seen.

I find this a lot while reading. That's why I think minimalistic writing is better, it cues your brain to draw all of your own experience. I find it hard to imagine anything with clarity anymore, though...

-Smak

This

I've had dreams where people and locations are pieced together however. Rooms combined, i'll walk through a doorway and be in a completely different building, one that appears to be a few different places combined. People I think i've never seen before only to remember them later. Maybe that's what's making you think that you've never seen the places before, i've done the same

And to the guy talking about DMT, it isn't like dreaming in the way you probably think it is. Totally not what you'd expect once you actually do it, but actually in a more pleasent way than you'd imagine

Also OP leave the board you promised