Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Mike D'Antoni deserves to be fired....

You've never seen me call for him before, but this is pretty ridiculous. He is a one trick pony. He wants his teams to play in one style, one way, a way that requires an elite point guard. He has no plan B.

Jeff Van Gundy, a coach who is absloutely lost on times at running offense for his team, lost practically his whole team player by player in 1999 with the Knicks, and transformed us on the fly from a plodding defensive team to a running pressing team that played small ball and isolation for its (literally) two scorers. On the fly in a matter of days changed our focus.

MIke D'Antoni not only can't but won't change our offense. We play offense to set up three pointers even though we haven't shot well all year. WIth the compact schedule, it makes sense that shooting legs will be tired. We have been better going inside all year. Yet we spend a ridiculous amount of time setting up three point shots. That we miss. Over and over.

He wants Melo to basically be another cog in the offense. Amare too. Amare for the first few games was being used as a ****ing stretch 4. I mean WTF.

He also runs our bigs into the ground. Amare has bad knees that need rest, and he gets put out there for more minutes than almost anyone.

Chandler is asked to switch on defense to outside ad naseum. TO THE GUARDS. TYSON CHANDLER.

He doesn't commit people to rebound, he insists people sneak out to start the offense.

Shall i go on?

Our offensive guru can't design an offense that works better with his current team. If we walked the ball up and played very basic offense, iso, pick and roll, without all this motion nonsense he believes in, played basic man to man without switching all the time, we'd be better than the way he has set everything up.

I'm tired. We should not be this bad. People have decided to scapegoat Melo but that's not fair, this is not a team that shold be winning 1 of 3 games.

**** D'antoni for what essentially is going to be wasting a season.

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Mike D'Antoni deserves to be fired....

Elite point guard is an overstatement. Mildy competent point guard would be an uprgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    Elite point guard is an overstatement. Mildy competent point guard would be an uprgrade.
    FOr his offense to run very well it requires Nash. Felton it ran ok but at times still bogged down. We scored a lot because we played fast and had a ton of possession but we were no efficient like Phoenix was. Phoenix wore you down because they scored so efficiently, you could not keep up. You'd play with them, they shot better than you, and you'd blink and be down 10. Us, we'd be up 10, then you, then us. That's not the point. Anyone can do that, just run up and down and jack shots. You'll score a lot, you'll lose a lot.

NBA rookie of the year

Eh, the team is just awful. I don't really care what they do, they won't win anything of significance with Dolan overseeing operations. Let Mike Woodson coach team. Hell, let Spike coach it. There's no quick fix here.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    Eh, the team is just awful. I don't really care what they do, they won't win anything of significance with Dolan overseeing operations. Let Mike Woodson coach team. Hell, let Spike coach it. There's no quick fix here.
    There really is though. They are not this bad talentwise. This is a team Jeff Van Gundy would love. They are a team that literally needs to walk it up, give it to Melo, run basic offense, get a decent PG, do pick n rolls with Amare, reduce the number of possessions, smack Schumbert in the face anytime he pulls up for a jumper, smack Fields anytime he stands around looking terrified. They are a team built to stand, jump for rebounds, get into slow mucky games where jumpers are not taken 75% of the time and where you run only off opportunity, not necessity.

If our coach was not named D'Antoni and you looked at our roster and asked me what offense to run, and i said "RUN UP AND DOWN AND JACK THREES" you'd call me retarted. YET, that's what we do over and over.

We have no discernable PG, a HUGE frontcourt. Our backcourt defends better than anything else. and we play like we do.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    There really is though. They are not this bad talentwise. This is a team Jeff Van Gundy would love. They are a team that literally needs to walk it up, give it to Melo, run basic offense, get a decent PG, do pick n rolls with Amare, reduce the number of possessions, smack Schumbert in the face anytime he pulls up for a jumper, smack Fields anytime he stands around looking terrified. They are a team built to stand, jump for rebounds, get into slow mucky games where jumpers are not taken 75% of the time and where you run only off opportunity, not necessity.

If our coach was not named D'Antoni and you looked at our roster and asked me what offense to run, and i said "RUN UP AND DOWN AND JACK THREES" you'd call me retarted. YET, that's what we do over and over.
    Stopped reading right there. They've been doing that all season, and it's awful. Actually, that is one of the major adjustments D'Antoni's made, but Melo obviously isn't up to the task of running an offense. If they could figure out the pick and roll - with anyone - the whole offense would be better. And that's obviously what D'Antoni wants them to do, there just aren't any decent guards on the roster. Chandler and STAT set the pick and roll all the time, and never get the pass. The Knicks are missing out on, like, 10-12 shots at the rim every game because of befuddling awful point guard play. Are you telling me that Steve Nash is the only point guard in the league that can run the pick and role?
    Last edited by Scoooter; 01-25-2012 at 10:35 PM.

ive been saying this for 2 years

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

He should be coaching college. Hopefully once his stint in the NBA is done, he will never get another job in the NBA. Absolute worst coach I have ever seen. Completely out of touch with his players. Commands no respect. Has no idea how to manage the time. It's an absolute joke.

Banned

diary of a knicks fan

It's not just D'Antoni, although he's not helping at all.......the team just has lots and lots of problems......

our two stars don't mesh well together......Melo just isn't as good as people want him to be and we gave up our entire roster to get him.......Amare is being forced to go iso and that doesn't work

Tyson and Amare are not a good 4/5 combo, cause no one stretches the floor.

We have no PG really at all, we're relying on a rookie as our PG.

The team doesn't shoot well, yet we're MDA runs an offense that demands shooters.

The team switches on defense all the time for no reason

The roster is paper thin deep.

It's just not a good team.........just because you throw out the names Melo, Amare, and Chandler doesn't mean instant success........just a mismatched bunch of psuedo-stars, and no complementary help.

Will Baron help? I think so actually. But he's no savior. And a better coach could help. But I think this roster is just fatally flawed in the end.

He deserves to be crucified, not fired.

The worst coach you've ever seen means you sound like a New York Knicks fan.

To the OP, I feel you, but not completely. He does likely need to go tho, but he doesn't deserve that much blame. He really does not.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Banned

let's be honest, Dolan is the REAL problem, d'antoni is just a puppet

Melo is a blackhole

Amare is either playing through more pain than we realize or extremely lazy

the rest of the team has been forced through the soap opera that surrounded Melo and continues to surround him

this team is mismanaged from the top-down let's just face it

Decent playground baller v1ncelis's Avatar

Yeah but I don't see that happening.