Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
       

Default Re: Nets 2015 offseason discussion thread

sounds like that's the plan. and given his age and how he got worn down last season... i can't really argue with it.

the nets are starting to feel like a real team to me, once again. the contracts are mostly reasonable, young players are getting their opportunities, and there's no ridiculous expectations based on overpaying a bunch of washed-up stars.

plus... who knows? maybe a playoff-bound team will be willing to give us something decent for joe at the trade deadline.

obviously the ceiling is not too high, but at least hollins should be able to maximise what he's got here... unlike last year.

Is it possible to get Ty Lawson? If we can, its actually an upgrade over Deron and I think we will make the playoffs next year with this move.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    sounds like that's the plan. and given his age and how he got worn down last season... i can't really argue with it.

the nets are starting to feel like a real team to me, once again. the contracts are mostly reasonable, young players are getting their opportunities, and there's no ridiculous expectations based on overpaying a bunch of washed-up stars.

plus... who knows? maybe a playoff-bound team will be willing to give us something decent for joe at the trade deadline.

obviously the ceiling is not too high, but at least hollins should be able to maximise what he's got here... unlike last year.
    I hear us. It kind of reminds me of Vince's last year with the nets. Except Johnson has Prime Lopez not rookie Lopez lol. Let's hope we can at least get his last nice season out of him this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    Is it possible to get Ty Lawson? If we can, its actually an upgrade over Deron and I think we will make the playoffs next year with this move.
    I mean he is available. Also, yes he is a huge upgrade over Deron Williams. Not sure who the Nets would trade for him though. Other teams have more to offer.
    Last edited by Nets fan 93; 07-18-2015 at 01:36 AM.

   

so i was looking at barnyani's (how his name is pronounced according to WP) bio and stats, and he seems a little more impressive than i first thought based on his rep.

seems he really DID become dirk-light around 2008 - 2011... before his constant struggle with injuries.

all things being equal i expect him to continue getting injured, but IF he doesn't, i can definitely see him becoming a useful, rather unique piece.

the nets supposedly have an excellent training / physical rehab staff, so maybe this signing makes more sense than i first thought.

so i was looking at barnyani's (how his name is pronounced according to WP) bio and stats, and he seems a little more impressive than i first thought based on his rep.

seems he really DID become dirk-light around 2008 - 2011... before his constant struggle with injuries.

all things being equal i expect him to continue getting injured, but IF he doesn't, i can definitely see him becoming a useful, rather unique piece.

the nets supposedly have an excellent training / physical rehab staff, so maybe this signing makes more sense than i first thought.
    Offense will always be there for him. Unless he has an off-game. But it's defense and iq nets fans worry about.

   

i'm not surprised that his defense is poor, but it would be very odd for a top euro to have low BBIQ. that truly is strange.

OTOH one thing that stood out to me is that the raps staff made the decision to work on his rebounding, low post and shot-blocking game, summer of 08, and it worked out handsomely. OTOH that might also have led to his increased injury-rate.

in life, there's always an "OTOH" lurking behind the very last thought. :P

Honestly, pairing Bargs up with T-Rob should help him. He can just stretch the floor while T-Rob cleans up the glass. The only real problem is his defense but I think a defensive minded coach like Hollins will have an impact on him. If not, he'll probably just get benched.

I think if he's motivated, he can actually play decent D. I know this is just one video but here he is playing great D against Dwight Howard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nfgZX92cKg

Quote Originally Posted by MTing
    Honestly, pairing Bargs up with T-Rob should help him. He can just stretch the floor while T-Rob cleans up the glass. The only real problem is his defense but I think a defensive minded coach like Hollins will have an impact on him. If not, he'll probably just get benched.

I think if he's motivated, he can actually play decent D. I know this is just one video but here he is playing great D against Dwight Howard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nfgZX92cKg
    I just hope he can come in and play like he did in the second half of last season. The other 2 season before last season he was dreadful. 27% from 3 one year. Him and Thomas would be a very interesting duo that could really work out. I agree. Lol that was like one of the best games of that man's life. Def his best highlight as a knick

   

...but he was dreadful because he was playing through lingering injury as i understand it. as in, not dreadful because he was slacking off or lost all his skills due to an overnight brain hemorrhage.

so there's the hope, anyway.

re: "bargs,"
    shouldn't it really be "barns" since that's the way his name sounds?

So with the nets waiving Earl Clark their roster is down to 16 players. To cut it down to 15 I think they waive Quincy Miller. Either that or try to get something for Karasev.

...but he was dreadful because he was playing through lingering injury as i understand it. as in, not dreadful because he was slacking off or lost all his skills due to an overnight brain hemorrhage.

so there's the hope, anyway.

re: "bargs,"
    shouldn't it really be "barns" since that's the way his name sounds?
    You can call him "Deron" because he's going to fill the void of player most likely to be beaten to death by Hollins. Enjoy him. He's a peach.
    Just as an aside i think most of what the Nets did this summer is to be commended. It's like the Knicks, you'd like better, BUT you did good with what you had to work with. Epseically like shipping out that loser Deron and I have NO idea why so many media guys think he's going to play well now.

But Bargs is a waste. He doesnt like to play basketball.

   

hey niko-- ask yourself this:

who gives a shit about any of that at this point?

hey niko-- ask yourself this:

who gives a shit about any of that at this point?
    its offseason. We all do. Until games start everything is interesting. I've seen pages of analysis on people who are d-league all stars.

Banned

It was a smart move by the Nets to get rid of Deron, in the long-term.

But right now, that move puts you guys out of the Playoffs and you're gifting the Celtics a top 5 pick in the Draft.

Apart from that, it's been a bad offseason. You have the weakest PG rotation in the league, you acquired Bargnani which is always a minus (and may end up your starting center if (when) Lopez goes down with an injury), and your bench has no depth. It's not comparable to the Knicks, who I think did much better with what they had than Brooklyn did.

   

i agree that losing deron is going to hurt during the coming season, and i think everyone in the nets' world is justifiably nervous about the prospect of jack starting. we're left putting a lot of faith in his understanding that he has to play a different style now... one which he may not be very good at, even best-case scenerio.

i certainly couldn't say whether d-will is finished at this point. i agree he's never going to be the same player and simply doesn't have leadership ability, but when healthy he's still a PG with value. i have to think that lowered expectations will help him a lot in dallas, and the are a smart club that usually scouts very well and makes smart decisions.

once again, i don't agree that bargnani is a poor signing. it's low risk / moderately-high reward. they can play him if he's doing well and cut him anytime they need his spot, so what exactly is the problem? he's also highly motivated this season with an axe to grind and a desire to prove himself. that's usually a very good thing.

also, i don't see an especial problem with lopez' backup. the nets are pretty deep at the big man position this year.

i disagree that it's been a bad offseason. a number of problems got taken care of this offseason, and that was the goal. how the team performs this season is much less important than building a better, more efficient foundation after all. after five years of building on quicksand, that's another very good thing.

i'm not really sure what the knicks did this offseason, but fisher and jackson are very savvy bball minds and i almost have to assume they've made some key improvements.

"it's a process"... yadda yadda.