Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default How is the populatiry of the NBA doing?

I logged on today because I watched the pacers game over the weekend and actually enjoyed it last time I looked in this sight was Jan 2007 so figued I would watch a little basketball this year, I know its early in the season but watching some highlights on sportscenter it looked like most games had a lot of empty seats just curious if NBA is losing viewers or if its still going strong.

Local High School Star

Default Re: How is the populatiry of the NBA doing?

Some teams have trouble selling out their arenas, but it's always been that way. You can check out the reported attendance figures here
    http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

NBA rookie of the year

I think the NBA is now the 2nd most popular sport, surpassing baseball. Also the Baseball fan base is usually over 30-40 in my experience and they aren't getting young fans.

The NFL is still king though by a wide margin. Its popular with all age groups.

Edit: Maybe college football is more popular than the NBA but I am not sure.

The NBA seems to have more excitement around it than baseball today. Blame the media hyping up players like Lebron, Rose, Durant, etc and all the drama compared to how the MLB's most covered stories this year were about Ryan Braun washed up A-Roid getting caught for cheating. It's not a good look.

Despite Bettman's desires, it's very unlikely that the NHL reaches a new level of commercial appeal because not many people play hockey due to the climate, and need to buy special gear. Anyone in any place can play basketball or football. You can't say the same thing with hockey.

As for the NFL...well I'm starting to see more whining about how Goodell is killing the league. No celebrations, fines for big hits, rules changing to coddle the offense. It'll still be king in the USA for the forseeable future, but I expect the NBA's total popularity (as in across the world) to blow out the NFL's since American football doesn't have much international appeal.
    Last edited by BasedTom; 11-11-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Saw a basketball once

Actually According to the Harris Poll NFL is number #1, MLB #2, College Football #3, Auto- Racing #4, NBA #5, NHL #6, and College Basketball #7.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...american-sport

This is an improvement for the NBA as the previous year it was NFL #1, MLB and College Football tied at #2, Auto Racing #4, and NBA, NHL, and College Basketball all tied at #5.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...56338/34585550

This past year NBA grew while NHL stayed the same percentage and College Basketball faded.

Quote Originally Posted by Awkrewen
    Actually According to the Harris Poll NFL is number #1, MLB #2, College Football #3, Auto- Racing #4, NBA #5, NHL #6, and College Basketball #7.
    Does auto-racing also include F1?

I had no idea that many people actually cared about NASCAR.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Awkrewen

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...american-sport

This is an improvement for the NBA as the previous year it was NFL #1, MLB and College Football tied at #2, Auto Racing #4, and NBA, NHL, and College Basketball all tied at #5.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...56338/34585550

This past year NBA grew while NHL stayed the same percentage and College Basketball faded.
    baseball's problem is that all of their fans are old. They are like fox news. Fox news has the best ratings of all the news stations, but problem is their average viewer is like 68 years old.

MLB is still super popular among older people. they will be fine for awhile, but they aren't attracting young people.

Quote Originally Posted by BasedTom
    Does auto-racing also include F1?

I had no idea that many people actually cared about NASCAR.
    Its an american poll so I doubt it. NASCAR is pretty big in the south and midwest among white people there.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Its an american poll so I doubt it. NASCAR is pretty big in the south and midwest among white people there.
    I technically live in the South, and NASCAR has their HQ in my state. Yet I've met more hockey and (association) football enthusiasts than NASCAR.

I'm really surprised by how popular it supposedly is.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

all time high right now, almost every game has been crazy this season

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by BasedTom
    I technically live in the South, and NASCAR has their HQ in my state. Yet I've met more hockey and (association) football enthusiasts than NASCAR.

I'm really surprised by how popular it supposedly is.
    Its pretty popular, I am surprised that you haven't heard it was popular. Its broadcast on fox to a national audience. I dont think Roger Ailes would waste his network's time on something that couldnt get ratings. They arent NBC

Also sometimes during elections certain voting blocks are referred to as nascar dads or nascar moms.

I have no idea why anyone would want to watch nascar or golf, but some people must love it.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

NASCAR was the most watched sport on a per event basis if I remember correctly.

Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

The NBA problem is the many bandwagoners of the 5 contending teams, but none of them are buying tickets, meanwhile the average person in Minnesota or Memphis can't name one player on the current roster.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Duderonomy
    The NBA problem is the many bandwagoners of the 5 contending teams, but none of them are buying tickets, meanwhile the average person in Minnesota or Memphis can't name one player on the current roster.
    This is also true.

There are probably more Miami heat fans in charlotte than bobcat fans. None of these fans are going to go to a Miami heat game. That is not true for the NFL. Even terrible teams in the NFL maintain loyal fanbases somehow.

Eg. Raiders

Edit; honestly I cant remember an NFL game that wasn't filled up.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Anfernee's Avatar

I never understood why NASCAR is considered a sport. There is skill and competition involved, sure, but no athleticism. But then ESPN does broadcast poker....

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

You can't compare NFL and NBA stadium attendance at all. NFL is once a week and generally on a sunday when most people are off work. Basketball has almost 70 more games and most are during the week your expect there to be full attendance with any regularity?