Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: The moment when a player lost his chance to become the GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by GODbe
    Although Jordan doesn't belong in the discussion for GOAT status..

Jordan - When young Kobe entered the league and manhandled him to retirement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEQ1j4O9860

Kobe blowing a 3-1 series lead vs the Suns. His GOAT status was shit-canned right there.

Quote Originally Posted by GODbe
    Although Jordan doesn't belong in the discussion for GOAT status..

Jordan - When young Kobe entered the league and manhandled him to retirement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEQ1j4O9860
    You've jerked off to a picture of Kobe before.

Don't lie.

Jordan - when he could not obtain a winning record without a HOF teammate

Solidified: '89 and '93 quits

Pretty much the second Michael Jordan stepped on a NBA floor everyone else past, present, & future lost their shot. No one will ever be as good as Jordan. LeBron is the only one since Jordan to even give him a run for his $$$ but it really isn't close.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KyleKong
    And what his excuse for this?

Obviously Kobe had a bad finals.

But anybody using Karl Malone & GP against Kobe obviously has no idea what they are talking about.

NBA All-star

most players lost their chance to exceed the standards set by Jordan the second they enter into a franchise that isn't well managed.

definitely lost their luck if they don't run into an unknown underrated assistant coach.

they are then constantly face with the obstacles of learning how to win, identifying winners, as well as a scenario/situation that could lead to winning.

the reality is that the next Lebron/Jordan/Wilt will happen
    and each player really starts losing their spot in the all time starting list.

I guess, if we go by Jordan's standard, the moment the player decide not to revolutionize/set the new standards of your position and make other positions change indirectly. You have lost your chance at becoming the GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by r15mohd
    i'd say when he didn't make the playoff's that one year, and then lost in the 1st round the year after...GOAT players find a way out of the 1st round, for the very least, missing the playoffs is a complete EXIT for being within the discussion

[COLOR="Magenta"]Like mj losing in the 1st round [/COLOR]

lebron - when he got swept in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Debator
    Kobe - If he would've won in 2008 or 2011, that would've been a huge legacy boost. I think his chance at GOAT ended last year. 7 rings was his only hope at being in the GOAT conversation, but that would still be questionable. I believe he patterned his game too similarly to Jordan which gave him almost no shot at GOAT. He just wasn't as efficient.

Lebron - I don't think 2011 diminished his career all that much. Now that he's captured a ring (2), he's gotta continue riding the high wave. Losing this year would be a huge blow to his career imo. If he can 4peat however, I think he'd be right there with MJ. 5 seals it for me. I personally think he'll be the 2nd best player of all time when it's all said and done.

Wade - Never had a good chance. The roster he had to work with was only for a small window. If he could've stayed healthy in 2005-2007 and won 3 rings, and for this Lebron thing to still happen, he would've had 5 rings going on 6 this year. I think he wins 1 MVP (2007) so his resume would look similar to Kobes, but he'd be viewed as the better player. Probably be right with Lebron in the rankings. Oh well, he never stayed healthy.
    I really don't get arguments like these, it's so simplistic and based on team success, and superficial reasons. Circumstances and chances.

X player is not the GOAT because in the year XXXX he had a scrub team, but if by the draw of the luck he happened to have a stack team that same year, then that would have been enough for him to be GOAT, unless an even more stacked team just happened to play that year, in which case player X goes back to being out of the discussion of being GOAT.

jordan - loser without prime pip

NBA rookie of the year

LeBron has a chance, but his stans underestimate how far he has to go and in 5-6 years they'll be talking down retarded Wiggins fanboys or something. If he wins this year, 3 titles is nice, but in 5-6 years when the shine has worn off and someone else is new "it" player, then it won't be as big of a deal. He needs 5+ as the no.1 option, really actually probably 6 or 7.

Kobe's window closed I think the day the NBA vetoed the Chris Paul deal. Without a fairly stacked team around him and father time catching up to him, that shut the window on Kobe leading the Lakers to a 6th title. 5, with 2 as the no.1 option is nothing to scoff at, but not GOAT level. Also once Miami formed the Superfriends, his days were probably always numbered.

Shaq had a chance, but he got too fat/lazy to follow through.

Hakeem's chance went out the window when he went out of the 96 playoffs like a chump.

Duncan doesn't have the repeat championships or the individual dominant stats to be GOAT.

Those are the only guys outside of Jordan that have any business even being whispered as a GOAT candidate post-1990.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 05-30-2014 at 05:36 PM.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    Kobe blowing a 3-1 series lead vs the Suns. His GOAT status was shit-canned right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleKong
    You've jerked off to a picture of Kobe before.

Don't lie.
    You guys realize you're just giving a troll alt account what he wants, right?

If you dominate the league, being the best & most productive player, ending up with the most MVPs & the most FMVPS/Championships.... how the **** does any occasional failure (& obligatory failure because NOBODY has ever NOT failed at times) annihilate that?

Ridicilous logic....

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by r15mohd
    and then lost in the 1st round the year after...GOAT players find a way out of the 1st round

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    If you dominate the league, being the best & most productive player, ending up with the most MVPs & the most FMVPS/Championships.... how the **** does any occasional failure (& obligatory failure because NOBODY has ever NOT failed at times) annihilate that?

Ridicilous logic....
    LeBron will NEVER be GOAT. That boat sailed long ago. Deal with it, b*tch