Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default OKC advantages aren't going anywhere

and the rims are going to get tighter. If height causes this much of a problem for GS it would significantly lower their standing as an all time great team. If they were top three... No way can GS be considered a top ten team after this because OKC really doesn't have great talented big men. Ibaka is good but far from great.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: OKC advantages aren't going anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    and the rims are going to get tighter. If height causes this much of a problem for GS it would significantly lower their standing as an all time great team. If they were top three... No way can GS be considered a top ten team after this because OKC really doesn't have great talented big men. Ibaka is good but far from great.
    what do you think of steven adams?

He's been really key imo.. rebounds elite, can defend anybody, sets wide picks, always makes the right pass, sure handed, few simple but effective post moves.. hell it even seems he hits every FT he takes despite being a poor FT shooter (I honestly get the idea that he wasnt trying much at that in the regular season, and when it matters, can shoot very well, hes got perfect simple form).

This guy has sonned a supposed top 10 player in Draymond Green out of this universe.

Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

You could project Steven Adams being a top 5 center going forward. Definitely top 10.

Back to Business

since when did another team dictate how good of a team yours is???

warriors still won 73 games and dominated the thunder in the regular season. If they lose against the thunder so be it but to punish the warriors by saying they aren't an all time great team anymore is ridiculous. I don't think we will see anybody win more than 73 games and if we do its definitely not gonna be within 10,20,30 years from now and we can bet money on that.

Thunder are playing mind boggling basketball right now....in all fairness if they do beat the warriors after beating the spurs just to get man handled in the finals it would be a tragedy. The two best teams in the league were in the west this year...if you beat them just to lose to the cavs/raptors in the finals.....................what would that say about the thunder???

and the rims are going to get tighter. .
    Yes, they have to keep on penetrating the tight rim hard.

Quote Originally Posted by miggyme1

warriors still won 73 games and dominated the thunder in the regular season. If they lose against the thunder so be it but to punish the warriors by saying they aren't an all time great team anymore is ridiculous. I don't think we will see anybody win more than 73 games and if we do its definitely not gonna be within 10,20,30 years from now and we can bet money on that.

Thunder are playing mind boggling basketball right now....in all fairness if they do beat the warriors after beating the spurs just to get man handled in the finals it would be a tragedy. The two best teams in the league were in the west this year...if you beat them just to lose to the cavs/raptors in the finals.....................what would that say about the thunder???
    Greatness is getting it done when it matters most. Their regular season accomplishments are nice and pretty to look at but at the end of the day, if they lose to the thunder, all anyone will remember is the final outcome of the season. Not being able to get it done when it matters the most is not a sign of greatness.

Local High School Star Goldrush25's Avatar

???
    If we were talking about football I'd agree with you. Playoffs are one and done, and even great teams can have an off day and lose in the playoffs.

But in the NBA playoffs you play your opponent a minimum of 4 times. Injuries aside, the cream rises to the top. Odds are low that an inferior opponent is going to beat a superior team 4 times out of 7 games. You can't call these GSW an all time great team if they lose in the conference finals.

Back to Business

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrush25
    If we were talking about football I'd agree with you. Playoffs are one and done, and even great teams can have an off day and lose in the playoffs.

But in the NBA playoffs you play your opponent a minimum of 4 times. Injuries aside, the cream rises to the top. Odds are low that an inferior opponent is going to beat a superior team 4 times out of 7 games. You can't call these GSW an all time great team if they lose in the conference finals.

you know how many all time great teams didn't win championships?? I guess those phoenix suns teams with steve nash aren't all time great.

those Utah jazz teams with Malone and Stockton???

I can name more..

say they had a disappointing season but for a team to go 73-9 and people say its not an all time great team is ludicrous

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

you know how many all time great teams didn't win championships?? I guess those phoenix suns teams with steve nash aren't all time great.

those Utah jazz teams with Malone and Stockton???

I can name more..

say they had a disappointing season but for a team to go 73-9 and people say its not an all time great team is ludicrous
    You don't know the difference between great and all-time great. Even your definition of great is flawed.

Thunder front court trio might be the best in the league. At least with how Adams has played of late.

Ibaka gets a lot of slack, but he's an all defensive player with 3pnt range. I believe Kanter was top 10 PER and probably should have won 6th man of the year.

I'm not trying to overrate the Thunder front court, but comparatively they're one of the best in the league.

5-time NBA All-Star

warriors still won 73 games and dominated the thunder in the regular season. If they lose against the thunder so be it but to punish the warriors by saying they aren't an all time great team anymore is ridiculous.
    Why did you hit the panic button? I never said they weren't a great team anymore or remotely say anything like that.

I don't think we will see anybody win more than 73 games and if we do its definitely not gonna be within 10,20,30 years from now and we can bet money on that.

They won 73 games in a league that didn't have one good big man team - a staple hold on so many great past teams. The Warriors face one team that dominates them on the boards and they seemingly don't have a remote answer. During the year Durant is the only player getting more than 8 rebounds per game - I see Kanter is at 8.1 rpg. And rest assured nobody was calling this one of the great rebounding teams ever. Nor do I think its a very tall and talented team (second best scoring duo in the league behind their current opponents). In two playoff runs they are now ready to lose to the first talented healthy team they faced - its not over and GS still has a fighters chance. Yes that sinks them in comparison to other teams in a significant way. Still could be the most dominant team vs peers in the regular season which was never my argument.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Thunder front court trio might be the best in the league. At least with how Adams has played of late.

Ibaka gets a lot of slack, but he's an all defensive player with 3pnt range. I believe Kanter was top 10 PER and probably should have won 6th man of the year.

I'm not trying to overrate the Thunder front court, but comparatively they're one of the best in the league.
    In this series they have looked that way because GS plays small ball. I don't have them as a great trio at all. Sobeit, they are very good for teams these days.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    what do you think of steven adams?

He's been really key imo.. rebounds elite, can defend anybody, sets wide picks, always makes the right pass, sure handed, few simple but effective post moves.. hell it even seems he hits every FT he takes despite being a poor FT shooter (I honestly get the idea that he wasnt trying much at that in the regular season, and when it matters, can shoot very well, hes got perfect simple form).

This guy has sonned a supposed top 10 player in Draymond Green out of this universe.
    By today's standards they might have the best bigs around. But all time great front courts were significantly better.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by StephHamann
    Yes, they have to keep on penetrating the tight rim hard.
    Well the big men have to up the D too which has lead to rupturing the perimeter play.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Why did you hit the panic button? I never said they weren't a great team anymore or remotely say anything like that.

They won 73 games in a league that didn't have one good big man team - a staple hold on so many great past teams. The Warriors face one team that dominates them on the boards and they seemingly don't have a remote answer. During the year Durant is the only player getting more than 8 rebounds per game - I see Kanter is at 8.1 rpg. And rest assured nobody was calling this one of the great rebounding teams ever. Nor do I think its a very tall and talented team (second best scoring duo in the league behind their current opponents). In two playoff runs they are now ready to lose to the first talented healthy team they faced - its not over and GS still has a fighters chance. Yes that sinks them in comparison to other teams in a significant way. Still could be the most dominant team vs peers in the regular season which was never my argument.
    Good point, but the regular season doesn't matter. It's prep work for the playoffs. Smart teams use the regular season to prepare themselves for the playoffs. Warriors got sidetracked with the win total (plus the league sucked and lacked diversity). The regular season win total should be the icing on the cake, not the cake itself. It's all about the ring.

And yes, one more loss would knock GS down in comparison to other great teams. This is why we should judge the whole body of work and not just 75% of it.