Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Who is the most influential person of the last 100 years?

Quote Originally Posted by sammichoffate
    John Maynard Keynes. Economic philosophy basically shaped the way the world works, which trickles down to government and the societies we live in.
    Actually this is probably the correct answer

Who tf is Anne Frank?

Answer is either Einstein or Hitler from that list. Lol @ listing athletes and entertainers.

NBA rookie of the year

IMO people who deserve consideration:

Teddy Roosevelt
    FDR
    Robert Oppenheimer
    John Maynard Keynes
    Ronald Reagan
    Adolf Hitler
    Joesph Stalin
    Mao Zedong
    Deng Xiaoping
    Nikita Khrushchev
    JFK
    Kaiser Wilhelm
    Hirohito
    Gorbachev
    Vladimir Putin
    Lenin
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 09-21-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Local High School Star SunsN07BookIt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Actually this is probably the correct answer
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Banned

IMO people who deserve consideration:

Teddy Roosevelt
    FDR
    Robert Oppenheimer
    John Maynard Keynes
    Ronald Reagan
    Adolf Hitler
    Joesph Stalin
    Mao Zedong
    Deng Xiaoping
    Nikita Khrushchev
    JFK
    Kaiser Wilhelm
    Hirohito
    Gorbachev
    Vladimir Putin
    Lenin
    Good list but I would also include, Freud and Churchill. Probably a handful of people I have forgotten.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzly
    Good list but I would also include, Freud and Churchill. Probably a handful of people I have forgotten.
    how was a psychiatrist that influential?
    IMO only politicians and inventors have a significant affect on the world to the extent they deserve the title most influential of any time period .
    Keynes' economic theories became so accepted that he is also in that class.

I am of the opinion that British contribution to WW2 is slightly overrated. Churchill was essential in preventing a british defeat, which was greatly helpful (britain was the platform to campaigns in north africa, italy and normandy.), But i feel US and USSR were all that was need to beat Nazi Germany. Honestly USSR with american weapons and food given to them could have been sufficient

Outside of being a war prime minister churchill was not very influential even in his own government. People followed him during times of war but were against him else wise.
    Also churchill was forced to watch the collapse of his beloved empire. At his Birth britain controlled 25% of humanity. At his death, britain had their islands, hong kong, and the Falklands. (probably a few more i cant think of off the top of my head)

Churchill tried really hard to keep india, kenya and other parts of africa. He failed, the british people had changed/were too war wearily to fight for the empire as he wanted to.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 09-21-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Banned

IMO only politicians and inventors have a significant affect on the world to the extent they deserve the title most influential of any time period .

I am of the opinion that British contribution to WW2 is slightly overrated. Churchill was essential in preventing a british defeat, which was greatly helpful (britain was the platform to campaigns in north africa, italy and normandy.), But i feel US and USSR were all that was need to beat Nazi Germany. Honestly USSR with american weapons and food given to them could have been sufficient

Outside of being a war prime minister churchill was not very influential even in his own government. People followed him during times of war but were against him else wise.
    Also churchill was forced to watch the collapse of his beloved empire. At his Birth britain controlled 25% of humanity. At his death, britain had their islands, hong kong, and the Falklands. (probably a few more i cant think of off the top of my head)

Churchill tried really hard to keep india, kenya and other parts of africa. He failed, the british people had changed/were too war wearily to fight for the empire as he wanted to.
    I think you are underestimating the indirect influence the psychologists of the 20th century had , not only for understanding how we humans work on a subconscious level but also commercially. Every marketing team from big companies like Apple, to the somewhat smaller companies have taken advantage of it.

Another field where psychology has made wonders is in democratic elections where I think it had a lot more effect in the times before there was a tv and computer in every home. Hitler is an example.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzly
    I think you are underestimating the indirect influence the psychologists of the 20th century had , not only for understanding how we humans work on a subconscious level but also commercially. Every marketing team from big companies like Apple, to the somewhat smaller companies have taken advantage of it.

Another field where psychology has made wonders is in democratic elections where I think it had a lot more effect in the times before there was a tv and computer in every home. Hitler is an example.
    Good point, though if you have to argue indirect influence, I cant call them the most influential person in the last 100 years
    There have been so many men who have made a direct influence on the course of human history in the last 100 years, both for good and for evil

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

It's Hitler, hands down.

Ridiculous assertion

America was already by far the largest economy before WW2.
    We were the most industrial capacity, overall the most technologically advanced, large population (120+ million) and vast natural resources.

At the peak of the war American industry largely stopped producing consumer products and focused mainly on war manufacturing. One B29 bomber could be built every 63 minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_Run
    Ford, GM, etc all turned their assembly lines into military assembly lines.

American shipyards built the largest navy in human history.

American industry produced so many weapons we gave them to every single allied power in ww2
    Not saying that the USA wouldn't be a world power but that it wouldn't be the world superpower. Today, the USA can enforce its will and no one can do anything about it. My point was that there would be a much more multipolar world

Default Re: Who is the most influential person of the last 100 years?ly

its one of these two:

Hitler - for reasons already stated

Mark Zuckerburg -
    I can't type an essay on why he's the reason why right now. But facebook rules the world at the moment. A billion followers i think?

Banned

Depends on one's definition of 'influential.' Politicians have little to no intellectual influence on anyone but their policies profoundly affect our lives.

A great writer and/or thinker is far more influential intellectually than all the world's politicians combined

Can't come up with an argument for anyone over Hitler.

Banned

Other than religious figures there are few in ALL of history that hold the recognition of Adolf Hitler worldwide. Only the past few 100 years? It is absolutely no contest.

Going to give my boy Putin a shoutout as the most influential person of the last 30-40 years. What Putin is doing to challenge the global elite who seek to have control over the entire worlds population is something that will go down in all of history.

ISH's #1 rapper yungtyrekeevans's Avatar

tesla, marx, hitler.