Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-season

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Off-season

Just around the corner.

Default Re: Off-season

The Jazz will send a team to the Orlando Pro Summer League on July 9-13.

O

Banned

Jefferson or Millsap, who won't return?

Also, is so obvious the Warrior are tanking. How does the protected pick work? Is it based on the actual W-L record or where the team's lottery ball drops?

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    Jefferson or Millsap, who won't return?
    Millsap needs to be signed to an extention. Should be at the top of the agenda. He and Hayward are the 2 they need to be building around right now. Both would be hard to replace with anyone better for their system.

Also, is so obvious the Warrior are tanking. How does the protected pick work? Is it based on the actual W-L record or where the team's lottery ball drops?
    I believe it's where they finish not where the lottery balls bounce.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    I believe it's where they finish not where the lottery balls bounce.
    That's so lame! They need to change that rule otherwise, teams would just tank.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=200...favors-hayward

They begin with Derrick Favors, who has showed enough promise to demand increased playing time. Starting next season, and probably spanning the next decade, the 6-foot- 10 high-flying talent needs to play at least 30 minutes a game.

As the Jazz approach this off-season, recognizing that it could determine the level of the team's success for the next several years, management has got to make it a priority to allow Favors to develop. Any trades or other moves should be made with the 20-year-old's future in mind.

For much of this season, Coach Ty Corbin has seemed reluctant to play Favors at the expense of Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap. It's obvious the second-year coach prefers experience over youth.

But the future can't wait. As solid as the experienced players are, Corbin has to figure out a way for them to complement Favors.

If necessary, Jazz management has to force Corbin's hand. The point is trade Jefferson or Millsap to open more time for Favors.
    I realize this seems to be the popular opinion but watching the team it seems obvious the 27 year old Millsap and Hayward are the two guys they need to be building around until the other young guys prove otherwise. Favors has it defensively but he has a long ways to go to pay Jazz ball at the other end. Kanter and Burks look more like Jazz players at the offensive end. I'm all for trading Al to get Favors and Kanter more time though.

As the primary options, Jefferson and Millsap have taken this team has far as they can.
    Doesn't mean you trade Millsap.

Bailey lists Hayward as potentially the team's best all-around player.
    He and Millsap already are. Burks has the skillset to join them. The mindset remains to be seen...

Hayward might be the most untradeable player.
    And Millsap.

Not a bad starting point.
    Millsap and G yes.
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 04-18-2012 at 08:30 PM.

[quote]Utah general manager Kevin O

Alex Kennedy: Earl Watson has a torn medial meniscus. He underwent arthroscopic knee surgery last Tuesday and will miss the remainder of the season. Twitter

That leaves the Warriors one game ahead of New Jersey and Toronto, who play each other Thursday night in Toronto. So at least one of those teams will end up with a 23-43 record. Golden State plays host to San Antonio Thursday and with a loss, the Warriors would end up with a 23-43 record and tie for the seventh worst record.

If the Warriors end up in a tie at 23-43, then the league will flip a coin to determine the draft order.

So for the Jazz to get a first-round draft choice they lost their own by making the playoffs and must forfeit it to Minnesota they need Golden State to beat the Spurs, who will likely be resting their starters. But who knows how motivated the Warriors will be to win and perhaps lose out on a No. 8 or better draft pick.

If the Warriors lose, it would be up to a coin flip to see if the Jazz get a first-round pick or must wait until another year to get the Warriors selection.

David Locke

NBA Scout on Derrick Favors "I think he is growing, he has a ways to go. He has a presence on the floor, he is a big body at the rim on both ends, he can challenge shots, he doesn't block every shot but people know that he is there. He is physical. I think he is still growing into his body. He is young he is going to put on more muscle. If he can keep the quickness with the weight he puts on he will get better and better."
    The questions that come with him mostly come at the offensive end and with his motor. His jumper looked pretty good against the Spurs. His post game needs a lot of work.

In the wake of serious injuries that have decimated Team USA's roster of Olympic finalists, sources said Kentucky big man and projected No. 1 pick Anthony Davis has been selected as a replacement candidate to compete in the London Games this summer. USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo and the coaching staff headed by Mike Krzyzewski will be adding one other player, with both picks expected to be announced later Wednesday. According to sources, players under consideration were Pistons center Greg Monroe, Jazz center Al Jefferson and Kings center DeMarcus Cousins. But Cousins, sources said, has been invited to the Select team -- which will train with Team USA before the Olympics -- and is not the other finalist addition. SI.com

There's a chance that Colangelo could make even more additions, especially if the injuries continue to mount. It was believed that there were five vacancies in all, but it appears there are four after Colangelo told reporters in Las Vegas on Tuesday that Mavericks forward Lamar Odom is still under consideration. Odom, one of the original finalists, was thought to be out of contention after a tumultuous season in which Dallas deactivated him. Still, sources said it's unlikely that Odom will be on the final roster of 12. SI.com
    Jefferson doesn't seem to be a good fit based on what we've seen from the team the past 6 years. Millsap would seem to be a better fit.

Jerry Colangelo said Al Jefferson was given great consideration to be added to the list of Olympic finalists. But it ultimately was decided to go another route. Sulia

[quote]While discussing the strength of San Antonio's pick-and-roll offense

Draymond Green To Work Out For Celtics, Expects To Be First Round Pick

May 07, 2012 11:04 PM EDT

Draymond Green expects to be selected in the NBA draft somewhere in the first round.

"I hear I could go anywhere from 20 to 30," Green said. "But you never know, so I'm going to control what I can control and that's to be ready for any and every opportunity I get to show what I can do."

Green, who has accepted an invitation to the NBA's predraft camp in Chicago, said he has a workout scheduled May 22 with the Celtics. He also has drawn interest from Miami, Indiana, San Antonio, Golden State, Cleveland, Detroit, Oklahoma City, Orlando, Sacramento, Utah and New York.

"I'm not going to worry about getting tired because I've been grinding my whole life," he said. "Some teams are going to bring me in as a 3 and some as a 4 to see how I deal with quickness or length. I'm sure I'll be going against some 6-10 guys and some shorter and quick guys.

"If teams ask me if I think I'm a power or a small forward my answer is going to be, `I'm a player.' I don't want to be classified, I just want a chance to play."
    How does this guy make any sense for the Jazz? Can he shoot?

Corbin said Derrick Favors proved himself this season, especially during the playoffs. Favors could start for the Jazz next year, but much remains to be determined.
    Only thing that should be determined is who they can unload Jefferson on and how soon.

Corbin expects to keep his staff intact next season and doesn't plan to add anyone. If his assistants have other opportunities, though, he'll allow them to speak with other teams.

Corbin said Utah might make key moves during the offseason and acknowledged the Jazz must improve their outside shooting. But if Utah basically has the same team next season, he's ready to go to work and improve.
    If they have basically the same team i.e. Jefferson and Harris, O'Conner needs to get canned. Need a veteran wing that can shoot(not Raja though I'm guessing he is done in Utah) and a young pg and possibly a veteran pg though I'm ok with Tinsley depending on what other moves they can make. A veteran big man to be their 4th or 5th big once Favors, Kanter and possibly Evans move up the ranks with Jefferson's departure.

Corbin's excited about Utah's future and the young pieces the Jazz have in place. But he continually said it's an important summer for the team's and the organization's development.

Asked if the Jazz exceeded expectations, Corbin said Utah met them. The playoffs were a reminder of how far the Jazz have to go.

Corbin said Favors has the potential to become a player the Jazz can build around. Corbin added it's a big summer for Enes Kanter and Favors.
    And Burks? Evans too?

Corbin's open to having Jerry Sloan help the team out during the future in any way he wants.
    Interesting! Phil Johnson? I guess he's still around anyway with the tv gig? What about the Mailman helping the young bigs? Hopefully the young pg will get to work with Stockton like Deron did.

Corbin said it was his decision not to play Raja Bell during playoffs and the move was "on him."
    What move? Leaving him on the bench seemed like the only move he could make. Howard at least had a strong game before the playoffs and called the Spurs killer with Dallas. Raja had sucked when he came back from injury earlier in the year too.

Corbin said Gordon Hayward might participate in Summer League. If not all, at least some.
    I'd expect him there at least working on his shooting especially after a disappointing playoff.