Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Brooklyn Nets Edition

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Winning is not a plan, it's a hope. How you go about it is a plan. The Nets never had a thought of what kind of team they wanted to put around Deron, how they wanted to play, etc. Kidd said he wanted to run, remember that? The Nets are pretty much slow as shit. They got a rookie coach, then got vets. Got JJ to show Deron they loved him and ruined the D12 chase, which was fine except they re-entered the chase right after.

They have no plan. Reloading every few years isn't going to work, that's not a plan, that's hope. I've seen that plan.
    Alright niko. You're a fan of the Knicks, correct? What exactly is their plan? Trading a future 1st round/2nd round pick for a player who was thought to be untradable? Signing metta world peace? Isn't JR Smith bad enough to have? Two crazies on the same team? Who do they have to help Melo win? Is a sixth man that worries more about Rihanna than the playoffs their thought? Is Tyson Chandler their thought? Felton? Get the man a damn robin already. The nets made an effort. If you have an option to improve your team while getting rid of two pretty blah contracts, you're gonna do it, Jason has never coached so running coulda been an option but hey he's played in many different systems so I'm sure he can adjust his book a little.

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
    Alright niko. You're a fan of the Knicks, correct? What exactly is their plan? Trading a future 1st round/2nd round pick for a player who was thought to be untradable? Signing metta world peace? Isn't JR Smith bad enough to have? Two crazies on the same team? Who do they have to help Melo win? Is a sixth man that worries more about Rihanna than the playoffs their thought? Is Tyson Chandler their thought? Felton? Get the man a damn robin already. The nets made an effort. If you have an option to improve your team while getting rid of two pretty blah contracts, you're gonna do it, Jason has never coached so running coulda been an option but hey he's played in many different systems so I'm sure he can adjust his book a little.
    Niko has said several times that the Knicks are poorly managed, no need to remind or attack him.

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

Winning is not a plan, it's a hope. How you go about it is a plan. The Nets never had a thought of what kind of team they wanted to put around Deron, how they wanted to play, etc. Kidd said he wanted to run, remember that? The Nets are pretty much slow as shit. They got a rookie coach, then got vets. Got JJ to show Deron they loved him and ruined the D12 chase, which was fine except they re-entered the chase right after.

They have no plan. Reloading every few years isn't going to work, that's not a plan, that's hope. I've seen that plan.
    Ill give you that. I actually think they had plans, but couldn't go through with the plan fully. The JJ move was desperate, but it had to be done since the magic were being stubborn. The Kidd hire, IMO, was to help change the Nets losing culture into a winning one, they probably didnt know that they would Get KG and Peirce so they signed Kidd because he had the highest risk/reward. The Kidd hire was a bad move in hindsight, but it was a good move at the time. I think that the Nets are just taking the best options possible, such as JJ for spare parts and KG and Pierce for low draft picks. The Nets however, put a damn good team on the floor for not having a plan.

The Knicks plan is to build around Carmelo with shooters and good ball movement (2 pg) and then in 2 years to reset. Their coach is in on it too. Is it a title winning plan? Doesn't look like it. The Knicks in their history have barely ever had a good plan.

Look at the Pacers, how they build. Miami who puts shooters around Lebron. SA. Looking at the Knicks who have a crappy plan doesn't mean the Nets have a plan.

Net fans always say "what about the Knicks?" What about us? If your goal is to just be better than the Knicks? Lofty goal.

Tell me the Nets plan. WIN A TITLE is not a plan, it's a goal. Tell me their plan.

Quote Originally Posted by The JKidd Kid
    Niko has said several times that the Knicks are poorly managed, no need to remind or attack him.
    man shut up,your team lost to tha 3rd string bulls in tha 1st damn round for cryin out loud

shoot me...

Ill give you that. I actually think they had plans, but couldn't go through with the plan fully. The JJ move was desperate, but it had to be done since the magic were being stubborn. The Kidd hire, IMO, was to help change the Nets losing culture into a winning one, they probably didnt know that they would Get KG and Peirce so they signed Kidd because he had the highest risk/reward. The Kidd hire was a bad move in hindsight, but it was a good move at the time. I think that the Nets are just taking the best options possible, such as JJ for spare parts and KG and Pierce for low draft picks. The Nets however, put a damn good team on the floor for not having a plan.
    I think Gigantes agrees with me but not most other Net fans, for being all in, I'm not sure this is the best the Nets could do. They had a GM, they told him that he could trade every pick forever, pick up as much salary as they could forever, nothing was off the table. The Knicks put themselves in a similar spot actually.

The problem the Nets will run into if this all in doesn't work is historically title winning teams have that one or two good young guys (Miami being the exception) that blossom and turn very good to title winning. The Nets won't have those guys because those guys need to be drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Kid
    man shut up,your team lost to tha 3rd string bulls in tha 1st damn round for cryin out loud
    Deep. Very Deep.

I mean he's a very knowledgable poster but he worries more about the nets than his own team I feel like

I think Gigantes agrees with me but not most other Net fans, for being all in, I'm not sure this is the best the Nets could do. They had a GM, they told him that he could trade every pick forever, pick up as much salary as they could forever, nothing was off the table. The Knicks put themselves in a similar spot actually.

The problem the Nets will run into if this all in doesn't work is historically title winning teams have that one or two good young guys (Miami being the exception) that blossom and turn very good to title winning. The Nets won't have those guys because those guys need to be drafted.
    You don't think Brook Lopez is that one young guy!? The man has improved each year. Playoff experience will only help him

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

1. Nets trade for KG, Pierce, and Terry. Brilliant trade or Skeptical?

Brilliant because Prokhrov doesn't care about spending. The Nets were already a win-now team anyway. Its not like they would've been looking to clear cap and hoard draft picks in the next 3 to 5 years anyway. They've purchased a shot at a title, however small it might be, it's still a shot.

2. Which Brooklyn Nets player do you consider the "X Factor" for this seasons success?

Brook Lopez. They will certainly need him to be huge to get past Miami, Chicago and/or Indy. If Lopez isn't dominant offensively I'm not sure much else matters.

3. TRUE or FALSE: Jason Kidd was a smart hire as Head Coach.

False. I just can't imagine it ever being a good thing for any first year coach with zero previous coaching experience to start with a championship or bust season.

4. Chemistry, Defense, or Health: Which of these 3 will be the biggest challenge for the Nets?

Health is always #1. They have enough talent to overcome hiccups with chemistry or defense. With several older players at key positions, health is definitely the issue to watch for.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Brooklyn Nets will make the Eastern Conference Finals this season.

False. I think they'll be in the second round, but Miami, Chicago and Indy should all be better. I'm just hoping we get a 4 vs 5 match up with New York in the first round.

   

yep, mostly agree.

i do think that the nets field a very good team and have a reasonable plan, just that i can't push it any further than that. they're not quite what i'd think of as a champion-caliber team, although i'd love to be wrong. it's not a *great* plan to me because of all the risks involved.

so that's it, basically. i always try to make expectations match reality. not trying to put the team down or anything. but what makes me uneasy is when too many people onboard expect too much. not because i want conformity, but because it makes enjoying the team online, posting in game threads, analysing events that much more difficult. like riding a bus full of manic-depressives.

having said that, the nets do have some talented young assets to develop. the loss of picks is not going to hurt as much as some people think, particularly since those picks weren't going to be great, anyway. also because brooklyn has quickly become a premium destination. i mean, cap issues aside, prokhy is willing to pay insane amounts of money to squeeze players in any way possible. he's a players' dream. he makes them feel well-paid and valued even when they're only getting the minimum.

picks or no picks, star vets busting out or not, brooklyn is pretty much guaranteed to field very good teams as long as prokhy is in charge. maybe one of them will get hot at the right time and ride it to a trophy. we'll see...

I mean he's a very knowledgable poster but he worries more about the nets than his own team I feel like
    No, i fight with the Knick fans. It's more contained and hasn't been as bad but it will come. Wait until they want the coach fired and Melo traded this year if you want to see me go off. As Wilds09 here, me and him are lock step in our opinions on the Knicks.

If you wanted to see me fight with the Knick fans, when we let Lin go and they were saying they'd never cheer for the Knicks again and we should have let Melo go and kept him. I wasn't in agreement. Or me and Bagel fighting endlessly that the Knicks shouldn't give up Mozgov and let it torpedo the Melo trade.

1. Nets trade for KG, Pierce, and Terry. Brilliant trade or Skeptical?
    Brilliant for several reasons
    a. They got rid of nothing win now.
    Wallace, Bogans, Brooks, Joseph, Humphries - all bad players. Wallace the best of them and was awful last year.

b. The moved Wallace's 3/30 contract
    That move actually puts them under the tax in 2015-2016 meaning they could do sign and trades, full MLE, BAE and avoid repeater penalties

c. They convinced Ainge to trade within the division which is rare

d. They upgraded their starting forwards from probably the worst pair in the league to one of the best.

2. Which Brooklyn Nets player do you consider the "X Factor" for this seasons success?
    Kirilenko
    Not very talked about, such a bargain of a signing. If KG sits out, AK moves to PF. He automatically is our best perimeter defender and brings chemistry from Utah. He also allows rest for PP.

3. TRUE or FALSE: Jason Kidd was a smart hire as Head Coach.
    TRUE
    Especially at the time.
    The best coaches/minds are young coaches (Vogel, Spolstra) and why I would have been OK with Shaw as well. Kidd also can relate to and has played with some of these guys.
    It's also forced us to fortify the bench beyond belief.

4. Chemistry, Defense, or Health: Which of these 3 will be the biggest challenge for the Nets?
    Health should be #1 but I like our depth.
    However, I am very skeptical about our perimeter defender. D.Will, PP, JJ all big for their position, but relatively slow. JT is old, Livingston not known for his D. Taylor and Anderson are good defenders, but third string. AK will be our best perimeter defender easily, but who's going to guard the Roses', Westbrook's and Parker's of the league? Our interior D will be fine with KG, Lopez and AK.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Brooklyn Nets will make the Eastern Conference Finals this season.
    No idea.. it's all about match-ups. I like our odds against any team in the East, other than Miami. If we can avoid them all together or until the ECF, then yes.