Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2001 - Jordan admits he benefited from Illegal Defense Rules

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    3 days later, at nearly 39 years of age, Jordan drops 51 on this same team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye-0ghhY7uw

Zone defense

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry

Zone defense
    Think about this, what if Jordan were 29-years-old during this game?

Banned

Here's some more quotes from other important figures on the matter... Trying to find the source to these.. I think it might have been in a interview or magazine

"But for scorers like myself and Carmelo and KD, the rules from the '80s can be more beneficial for us, because you have to be played straight up. You want to double team, you got to come all the way over. So, for us, I don't care if you hand check us with three hands. If there's nobody behind you, you're not going to stop us. So the zone I think cripples some of the top scorers." - Kobe Bryant

"Coming into the NBA, one of the fun things I thought about was playing against man-to-man all of the time. Now you get to throw a bunch of junk defenses and zones. It's changed the game. It's like college. It just doesn't seem like a real NBA game. I think it's a bad, bad rule. Man-to-man was great. The game was fine just the way it was. The zone thing takes a lot of fun away from the NBA game. Now the NBA game is just like college." - Allen Iverson

NBA teams don't even run a full functioning zone.

Against a real zone, ie. the ones employed in college ball, then maybe that Jordan quote would hold water.

NBA sixth man of the year

SMH, Apparently you guys missed where Jordan came back a few years later and said he would score 100 points if he could play against a zone for the entire game. This was after the rules changes, it was around 2005 or so. It was after he got a chance to see the new rules actually play out and how easy it was for guys to score 30, he changed his tune. Those other quotes were made before he got a chance to see the rules actually play out. But hey, you guys cling on to anything that may possibly knock MJ off his consensus GOAT status that you just grab a quote and run with it. I'm not going to bother finding the other quote because 3ball already found it. He went back and forth with Hey-yo throughout the entire thread because 3ball kept posting the LATER quote and Hey-yo kept responding with the PREVIOUS quote, before the rule changes which made no sense whatsoever.

I already know 3ball has it because a thread like this was just started a few months ago and they were going back and forth about it. I don't understand how people were still tripping after Jordan's 2005 quote was posted but ISH managed to do it because this is ISH and half of ISH are Lebron/Kobe stans so they hate MJ. Pretty pathetic if you ask me but again, its ISH...

But anyway.....

Honestly, I could give a damn what MJ said either way. Anybody's who's actually played ball on some competitive level whether it be high school, college or whatever, knows that a great player will shred a zone any day if the zone is played all day and his teammates have any clue about how to be in the right position. In college, yeah a zone might work the entire game but in the pros? LOL. Yeah ok. MJ, Kobe, Tmac, anybody like that who is a great player/scorer but also smart will shred a zone. There's a reason teams barely play it and the ones that do play it, only play it like 10% of the time if that. You dudes posting quotes from players that think a zone would be tough to play in. Barkley is constantly quoted as saying he would love to play against a zone, it would be easy to beat. There's plenty of quotes from players who think it would be a cakewalk so why are all you dudes so one sided. Anybody who can hit a mid-range jumper consistently can beat a zone, but of course the midrange game doesn't exist anymore and only a handful players even incorporate it in their games, no wonder they would hate to play a zone, smh. You only post sh*t that supports your stance, you never look at the other side and include that sh*t too and thats why most of you can't be taken seriously...

Its crazy to me how you guys give Jordan "stans" so much sh*t but his haters spend more time on this forum creating topics to try to downgrade the man any chance they get over anything. To me, thats more sad than so-called "stans"...

But whatever.....Be nice when we can get back to when we had a bunch of adults discussing actual basketball and not just hating on everybody like a bunch of females in a call center..

And if you wanna talk shit about me, remember I'm not the stan. I like everybody, you dudes are the stans/haters..Same ones in all the threads...

As much as you dudes claim you hate 3ball, y'all sure do make a million posts a day trying to get his attention.

So carry on. You wanted 3ball, I'm sure you'll get him.

Most of you talked sh*t the entire season and when the playoffs are over, you only pop up in bait threads like this to get your hate on...haha, smfh...
    Last edited by Dro; 08-21-2015 at 01:54 PM.

Banned

That's not even a logical response. MICHAEL JORDAN HIMSELF said this. Unless you think you know more about the man then himself.... Delete that pathetic post.

Banned

Oh lawd, my sides.

OK, where to begin...

But there was one that might be bothersome, the zone defense. It was the topic du jour at last month's All-Star Game, and Jordan was making an impassioned plea before the competition committee that had gathered to consider rules changes to enliven the NBA game. Jordan spoke passionately. If teams were able to play zone defenses, he said, he never would have had the career he did.
    Where is the direct quote? Jordan was retired when the NBA rules committee met that year to discuss eliminating illegal D/instituting the 3-second rule. What sense does it make that he would be making 'impassioned pleas'?

And everyone at the time overreacted to the announcement about the rule changes. They were under the impression that the NBA was being turned into the NCAA and teams would be playing actual zone defenses like they used to see in College. Pat Riley was convinced that teams would be averaging 70-80 PPG tops and T-Mac had this too say:

"I'm frustrated," McGrady said. "I'm frustrated from the simple fact that the NBA needs to take out the zone.

"To me, it's frustrating because I love to entertain. I mean, you play a zone on me like that and I don't know if you guys (media) realize that, or the fans realize that, but my job is real tough when a team zones up on us. I can't do anything."

The reality- team scoring did not in fact drop to 70-80 PPG as Riley had predicted. Scoring rose consistently for the first time since since the merger. From 2001-2014, Team PPG rose from 95 to 101. eFG% rose from the .47 to the .5 range. And individually, perimeter scoring exploded unlike any other era in NBA History.

T-Mac complained about not being able to do anything against the zone, yet he won 2 scoring titles in the 'GOAT defensive era ' putting up a career high 32.1 PPG in the '02-'03 season.

All the overreactions were completely off-base. The NBA made the changes with the explicit goal of increasing scoring, encouraging more free-flowing offenses, and to give perimeter players unprecedented freedom in a thinly veiled effort to create Jordan clones.

And that's exactly what they got.

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...mendations-nba

Well, that settles that. Don't even try donald. Michael said it himself. It's over.
    This is not surprising at all given that EVERYONE thought it would be a HUGE game changer before this rule was instituted. Like it would completely halt offenses. Turns out, it didn't.

And the article specifically mentions that how zone might be able to zero in on a star like MJ. That's why he said what he said. Because he knew it could affect him more than others. But as it turns out, the league adjusted. If the numbers completely changed the next year and going forward, I might entertain the notion that zone changed the game. But the league adjusted. It always does.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ImStillLosin
    Bothered by Charlotte's zone defense

Banned

Holy shit. Is everyone seeing this? MELTDOWN.

MJ said it himself. It's over kids.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    RIP crocodile dundee.

This is what happens when "Aussies" try to talk basketball.

Banned

M-e-l-t-d-o-w-n.

holy shit that denial in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry

Zone defense
    38 & 39 year old Michael Jordan playing under the rules of zone defense.

2002 - 1.039 PPS (league average was 1.264)
    2003 - 1.074 PPS (league average was 1.279)

Kobe Bryant in 2013 while playing more minutes and games than Jordan has in his entire career.

2013 - 1.337 PPS (league average 1.197)

Jordan played 1072 games played and and 41011 minutes.
    Before 2013 season; Kobe already played 1161 career games and clocked in 42,377 minutes.

Jordan's FG%, 2PT% were also below league averages in 2002 & 2003; while Kobe was well above the league average in 2013, while having more miles in the NBA.

Dat Zone Defense.

Mike against the zone? NBA record 51 points at age 38

LMAO