Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Dwight in Orlando

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    dwight is easily one of the best defenders of alltime. KG gets a lot of love for defense but dwight was just as good as him maybe better. there's not many bigs in nba history that could defend like dwight could in this era.
    Jameer come on man. I know you love the Magic but come on. Dwight was a beast down low but he wasn't guarding PGs and shit like KG had to sometimes.

National High School Star

The truth:

1. Orlando Dwight was far and away the best center in the league and easily a top 3 player.

2. Just like most players, his game was tied a lot this athleticism. All his spin moves, hook shots, etc were pretty good in Orlando.

3. Once he got hurt, he lost that quickness in his moves and coordination. He has never regained it, except for flashes.

4. He was awful on the Lakers. He was clearly not physically back, and isn't by any means a great offensive passing player (nor was ever). He turned the ball over a ridiculous amount. He shouldn't of even been playing.

5. He has become a mediocre version of his old self. People forget how good he was defensively back then.

6. He's one of the best defensive centers of all time.

7. Shaq, young or old could very easily abuse him. Dwight doesn't have the lower body strength to hold off Shaq at all. It was a nightmare matchup for Dwight because nothing he could do would really work against Shaq. Even old Shaq is more powerful than young Dwight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    Jameer come on man. I know you love the Magic but come on. Dwight was a beast down low but he wasn't guarding PGs and shit like KG had to sometimes.
    that's overstated for KG. it's arguable that KG never had the defensive impact that dwight did. like people forget easily... dwight literally won DPOY 3 times in a row. he was THAT dominant. the combination of his skill and athleticism defensively would be scary in this current league

that's overstated for KG. it's arguable that KG never had the defensive impact that dwight did. like people forget easily... dwight literally won DPOY 3 times in a row. he was THAT dominant. the combination of his skill and athleticism defensively would be scary in this current league
    Actually Dwight just didn't have competition. Not like he was winning those DPOYs vs Mutombo or Big Ben. KG was unquestionably a more versatile defender than Dwight. As for straight rim protection though, ya probably Dwight was slightly better. Especially his help defense was elite. I take KG everyday for man to man defense though.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    Dwight at his peak has more of an impact defensively than Garnett. I wouldn't put him over KG all time because KG was elite longer (Dwight really hasn't been able to get back to what he was defensively after the back surgery), but he's more dominant than KG ever was in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. He really should have been DPOY in 2012 for the 4th straight season even if he only played 54 games. Chandler only played 62 and his impact wasn't even close to Dwights. As far as Mutombo who I saw you mention...he was always overrated. He's not even close to as dominant as Ben Wallace or Howard at his peak. That he has four DPOY and guys like Hakeem and Robinson only have 1 or 2 is a joke. He was always slow footed and has no business being mentioned with guys like Dream, Robinson, Ben Wallace, and Dwight 9-12.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 08-21-2015 at 08:26 PM.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

yeah like how people forget that you were 2 years old when KG won MVP, i'm sure you know a lot about his career and have watched peak KG much more than any of us have..

NBA sixth man of the year

All I remember about Howard in Orlando is..........

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    Kope Top 50 Plays...Locks up Wade and Lebron back to back at the 3:07 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ambRVz1rqiE
    That's really cute...since Dwade lit Kobe up regularly.

NBA sixth man of the year

are you retarded?
    Yeah, I posted that second link in the wrong thread. That was meant to go in the Kobe appreciation thread...You know, cause I'm a fan of the NBA and great players in general, thus I like nice plays. If it was nasty it was nasty and that dunk was nasty. Don't be mad, Howard became a much better player after that.

He just a needed a real man like Kobe to put his nuts on his forehead for a second.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Dwight at his peak has more of an impact defensively than Garnett. I wouldn't put him over KG all time because KG was elite longer (Dwight really hasn't been able to get back to what he was defensively after the back surgery), but he's more dominant than KG ever was in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
    kg had the highest defensive rapm out of anyone 00-14.. even Duncan. Youre out your mind smoke saying howard was better, much less better in all those years.. especially with the bold, I hope you're not meaning overall game-wise because that would be a huge LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    kg had the highest defensive rapm out of anyone 00-14.. even Duncan. Youre out your mind smoke saying howard was better, much less better in all those years.. especially with the bold, I hope you're not meaning overall game-wise because that would be a huge LOL
    You mean 9-12? Dwight is better than KG those years over all and quite easily...you Laker fans never seize to amaze how much you underrate Dwight because he couldn't dominant for you coming off back surgery and playing with a tear in his shoulder. Garnett's last great year was 2008...he was never the same after the knee injury in 09 and the fact that he was just becoming old and tired. (he played a shit load of minutes on the Twolves) Dwight was clearly better 09-12, so if that's huge...okay.

the best KG wolves team defensively was ranked #7 in DRTG. During Dwight's 3 DPOYs he led a #1, #3, and another #3 ranked team in DRTG

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

You mean 9-12? Dwight is better than KG those years over all and quite easily...you Laker fans never seize to amaze how much you underrate Dwight because he couldn't dominant for you coming off back surgery and playing with a tear in his shoulder. Garnett's last great year was 2008...he was never the same after the knee injury in 09 and the fact that he was just becoming old and tired. (he played a shit load of minutes on the Twolves) Dwight was clearly better 09-12, so if that's huge...okay.
    ah misunderstanding then.. you're saying 09-12 Dwight > 09-12 KG not 09-12 Dwight > 04, 08, etc KG.. ok

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    ah misunderstanding then.. you're saying 09-12 Dwight > 09-12 KG not 09-12 Dwight > 04, 08, etc KG.. ok
    Why would I possibly ever say that? I'm not a retard...

KG had the #1 on-court DRtg from '09-'12 among players who played at least 2000 minutes. The Celtics' defense fell off dramatically whenever he wasn't on the court. His defensive impact was just as good as anybody's in that span.

His teams in Minnesota didn't have great defensive results because he was literally playing with trash. Once he finally got to play with good defenders, he anchored one of the most dominant defenses in recent history.