Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Could a Walt Bellamy (4th best center of the 1960's) be the best center today?

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    But we are talking IN TODAY'S GAME!! If the refs let him get away with it then OH WELL! We are talking about in today's game!! And let's face it, Demarcus HASN'T even hit his prime yet. I just think that Cousins' versatility, size, and rebounding would trump Bellamy in today's game.

I do see the argument for Walt though. But Walt IS NOT Kareem, Wilt, or Walton from the 60's and 70's. So ITS NOT out of the question for Cousins to be better. Some of you guys act like THERE IS NO WAY Cousins could be as good or better than Bellamy!
    why do you argue with him? he's a ****ing biased moron. if it was some random ass scrub he'd say he'd come into the NBA and dominate. dude is a complete clown and he doesn't even believe the shit he says.

Default Re: Could a Walt Bellamy (4th best center of the 1960's) be the best center today?

Cousins and Bellamy are about the same height (about 6'11'' barefoot) and Cousins is a bit more muscular and 20-30 lbs heavier. Bellamy was strong as an ox though and probably jumped higher. He seems pretty explosive and most of those clips are after his best years. Honestly as pure athletes it seems like a very close comparison.

National High School Star

Lol at thinking Cousins is tiny

versus these two sticks lol

Last edited by sundizz; 08-20-2015 at 07:50 PM.

From reading some of these posts, I don't think some people realize how good Boogie Cousins really is. And how his offensive skillset is matched by VERY FEW CENTERS! We are talking a center putting up 24 points, 12 boards, and 4 dimes a night! And he does it with a very effective inside-outside game. And he has GREAT HANDLES for a guy his size. In terms of centers, ONLY guys like Walton, Robinson, Duncan (pretty much a center) and the Dream have his offensive skillset.

I'm NOT SAYING he is as good as any of those guys yet. But in terms of his TOTAL OFFENSIVE SKILLSET, those are the only centers that can match and exceed Cousins. By skillset, I mean handles, passing, and great inside-outside scoring flexibilty. And I ALSO mean how dominant u are with it. Guys like Divac and Sabonis were very skilled in that sense. But they weren't AS DOMINANT as Cousins. Plus he's one of the league's top rebounders on top of it.
    Last edited by bizil; 08-20-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Banned

From reading some of these posts, I don't think some people realize how good Boogie Cousins really is. And how his offensive skillset is matched by VERY FEW CENTERS! We are talking a center putting up 24 points, 12 boards, and 4 dimes a night! And he does it with a very effective inside-outside game. And he has GREAT HANDLES for a guy his size. In terms of centers, ONLY guys like Walton, Robinson, Duncan (pretty much a center) and the Dream have his offensive skillset.

I'm NOT SAYING he is as good as any of those guys yet. But in terms of his TOTAL OFFENSIVE SKILLSET, those are the only centers that can match and exceed Cousins. By skillset, I mean handles, passing, and great inside-outside scoring flexibilty. And I ALSO mean how dominant u are with it. Guys like Divac and Sabonis were very skilled in that sense. But they weren't AS DOMINANT as Cousins. Plus he's one of the league's top rebounders on top of it.
    THIS!

Just wait til the Kings win 50 games this season. Suddenly people will start calling DMC a great player.

If you actually watch him play, you see first hand the impact he has on games. This season will be the first time in his career that he will have an adequate amount of shooters to give him space down low. He got double and triple teamed like crazy down low. Not to mention he finally has a shotblocker that can play along side him, and another big body to ease the work load. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if DMC finishes in the top 5 in the MVP this year. He's that good.

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Lol at thinking Cousins is tiny

versus these two sticks lol

#33 Daniel Orton...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Daniel-Orton-5272/

Measured 6-8 3/4 at NBA draft express...

#55 Josh Harrellson...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...rrellson-6381/

measured 6-8 1/2 at NBA draft express...

Of course, Cousins' himself...measured 6-9 1/2 at NBA draft express...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...-Cousins-1318/

Next...

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8
    Cousins and Bellamy are about the same height (about 6'11'' barefoot) and Cousins is a bit more muscular and 20-30 lbs heavier. Bellamy was strong as an ox though and probably jumped higher. He seems pretty explosive and most of those clips are after his best years. Honestly as pure athletes it seems like a very close comparison.
    Cousins didn't even measure 6-11 in SHOES (6-9 1/2 without.)

Again, Bellamy was listed at 6-11, but he was likely 7-0 barefoot.

And Cousins is not some athletic marvel, either. He was measured with a max vertical of 27-5."

I am not disputing his size, nor his skill-set, but he isn't 6-11.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Cousins didn't even measure 6-11 in SHOES (6-9 1/2 without.)

Again, Bellamy was listed at 6-11, but he was likely 7-0 barefoot.

And Cousins is not some athletic marvel, either. H was measured with a max vertical of 27-5."

I am not disputing his size, nor his skill-set, but he isn't 6-11.
    I wouldn't get too hung up on that article, according to jockbio.com and several Newspaper archives Bellamy was 6-10 and 1/2 in real life. I could just as easily cite them rather than some person who swears Bellamy was 7 feet. He could just swear that because modern era 6-10.5 players like to list 7 feet (Joakim Noah would be a good example) and if Bellamy looks that height he prob figures that's how tall he is. I don't think Bellamy is as tall or taller than Shaq, Shaq is 6-11.5.

I wouldn't think he and Boogie are all that different in size. Boogie is 270 in weightlifting era, Bellamy is 245-260. They'd prob be about on par size wize. If some people want to say Boogie is better in their opinion that's fine. We don't have a lot to go by on Bellamy in terms of film. The film I have of him though, is great. He's very athletic, big, and skilled that much is clear.

To keep it short... Not saying he'd clearly be it but yes, he most definitely could.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I wouldn't get too hung up on that article, according to jockbio.com and several Newspaper archives Bellamy was 6-10 and 1/2 in real life. I could just as easily cite them rather than some person who swears Bellamy was 7 feet. He could just swear that because modern era 6-10.5 players like to list 7 feet (Joakim Noah would be a good example) and if Bellamy looks that height he prob figures that's how tall he is. I don't think Bellamy is as tall or taller than Shaq, Shaq is 6-11.5.

I wouldn't think he and Boogie are all that different in size. Boogie is 270 in weightlifting era, Bellamy is 245-260. They'd prob be about on par size wize. If some people want to say Boogie is better in their opinion that's fine. We don't have a lot to go by on Bellamy in terms of film. The film I have of him though, is great. He's very athletic, big, and skilled that much is clear.
    Maybe, maybe not. I have read a few articles that had Bellamy listed at 6-10, but the vast majority were at 6-11.

But we KNOW that Cousins isn't close to 6-11. Same with the vast majority of players in college.

That photo of those Kentucky players... all of them between 6-8 1/2 to Cousins 6-9 1/2...

They were listed at 6-9, 6-10, and 6-11 at UK in 2010.

Earlier this year BB Reference listed Spencer Hawes at 7-1 (they have since "reduced" him 7-0),...and yet he was 6-10 1/2 at NBA Draft Express.

We both know Hakeem was listed at 7-0, and Bill Walton at 6-11.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/08/sp...-shot-too.html

The skinny on Hakeem Olajuwon is that he was taller when he was Akeem Olajuwon. He used to be a 7-foot center, when he played for the University of Houston and for many of his years here with the Rockets.

He never looked seven feet. In fact, when he played against the Boston Celtics in the 1986 finals, he appeared to be dwarfed by Bill Walton, who was listed as 6 feet 11 inches.

Walton was 7-2, at least, but didn't enjoy the stigma that went along with it. Asked that year why he looked so much taller than Olajuwon when he was supposed to be one inch smaller, Walton said, rather testily, "The floor's warped."

About the time Olajuwon corrected the world on the spelling of his first name, he also admitted he was closer to 6-10.
    We both could go on, but it has been a travesty in the last 30 years. Even the article on Bellamy's height went off on how players just claim whatever height they want to be, and then they are listed at that height. It is a complete joke.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 08-20-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Banned

STOP spreading lies laz.

BTW, that "some person" was...

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/15/sp...ll/15TALL.html

Marty Blake, the N.B.A.'s director of scouting
    And again...

Some players prefer to be smaller than they actually are. Blake said Walt Bellamy, a Hall of Famer, asked to be listed at 6-11 even though he was 7 feet tall.

"I know he was 7 feet, but Walt thought it made him look extraordinarily tall," Blake said.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 08-20-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    BTW, that "some person" was...

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/15/sp...ll/15TALL.html

And again...
    Well that does give his word a bit more weight. Thanks, I'm just saying though I still wouldn't get too hung up on their size their size. They're both legit sized centers.

Well that does give his word a bit more weight. Thanks, I'm just saying though I still wouldn't get too hung up on their size their size. They're both legit sized centers.
    We both know height isn't everything. But it is interesting that we are seeing more "legit sized centers" at Bill Russell's height. Cousins, DJ, Drummond, and Howard, to name a few.

I'm not arguing about how good Cousins is. But I find it interesting that he can average a 24-13 and in only 34 mpg.

Players like a peak Shaq, Kareem, and Wilt played 40+ (well, Wilt damn near played every minute of every game)...so what would those guys do in this era, and playing 40+ mpg?