Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bol'd over

Default Re: God Damn Larry Bird Was Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando
    The two players that I have watched the most play ball in the NBA are Bird and Jordan.

So here's my observation:

Bird = Ground
    Jordan = Air

It is clear to everyone the advantage of being able to jump and fly like Jordan but not too many people see the advantage of being grounded and balanced. To me, that's Bird's game: Stay connected to the floor and use it as your power. Picture Bird; feet spread wide both hands on the ball: The most stable platform to pass, shoot or drive from.

I also think of how Bird held the ball in his hands. Does anyone have hands like that now? I don't think so.

Completely sure footed.
    Completely sure handed.
    That' Bird
    You're off to a good start, my friend

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

What stands out to me in those vids are Birds handles, he has the ball on a tight string and can manipulate the ball like very few can...

People often over look his play making ability ..the guy was unbelievable!

Decent playground baller

pete maravich made larry bird, they play so similar

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by Emeka Okafor xD
    pete maravich made larry bird, they play so similar
    Moving right along....

National High School Star gpfanz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
    ur so right Captain obvious!

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by gpfanz
    ur so right Captain obvious!
    I just felt like being an a$$hole

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Does anyone believe MJ had an athletic advantage over his peers from 96-98? I don't. How was he such an incredibly efficient player at such an advanced age? Maybe a better question is this... Has there ever been a player that has dominated the league on both ends of the floor from 33-35 the way MJ did? Keep in mind that he played a position that required him to defend (and be defended by) younger, quicker and (at that time) more explosive players.

How was he so effective as a 40 year old? He had no hops and no quickness, playing guys (shooting guards) that are the best athletes in the league.

By the way, shouldn't the other side of the court also be considered?

This is not a post against Larry Bird. That guy was incredible and deserves all the praise for what he was able to accomplish. He certainly could do some things on the court better than MJ could. This is mostly for those people that think that MJ was an athletic freak for the whole of his career. He wasn't. You don't dominate the league for 13 years just on athletic ability. He was pretty damn smart too.

Larry and MJ played too different positions and those positions required totally different skill sets. Larry wasn't quick but he didn't need to be as quick as MJ to dominate his peers (small forwards). Larry's 6'9" frame helped him see over guys to pass or shoot despite not having the quickness to get around his defender. (For example, in 87 and 88 against the Pistons, he was guarded by 6'5" Adrian Dantley) To say, "if Larry had athleticism..." would be like me saying, "if Isiah was 6'6" he would be unstoppable".

Larry used the gifts (and he had some, by the way) that was given to him. MJ used what was available to him. For every person that says Larry would have done this or that had he had more athleticism, I could say MJ would do this or that if he was given 2 or 3 more inches.

National High School Star gpfanz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
    I just felt like being an a$$hole
    I really enjoyed that pic seriously thou

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by gpfanz
    I really enjoyed that pic seriously thou
    Thanks, man

Court vision is just something guys have or don't. Bird and Magic both had it. I don't think Jordan had it to the extent those two did.

But Jordan had so much skill it was a joke. He changed his game when his athleticism started to fade. Early in his career i don't remember him shooting many fadeaways but that was his signature shot when he got older.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Court vision is just something guys have or don't. Bird and Magic both had it. I don't think Jordan had it to the extent those two did.

But Jordan had so much skill it was a joke. He changed his game when his athleticism started to fade. Early in his career i don't remember him shooting many fadeaways but that was his signature shot when he got older.
    I agree. They all had skills that set them apart from their peers...even each other. MJ wasn't blind, but no he didn't have the court vision that Bird and Magic had.

I rule the local playground

Larry used the gifts (and he had some, by the way) that was given to him. MJ used what was available to him. For every person that says Larry would have done this or that had he had more athleticism, I could say MJ would do this or that if he was given 2 or 3 more inches.
    Basically.

First off, everyone knows Bird was great. But I can't even tell you how many times I've heard....."Man, imagine if Larry Bird were athletic?? He was so smart, 3 steps ahead of everyone!!! He was the greatest even though he was slow, yadda yadda yadda"

First off, prime Bird wasn't even that unathletic. He wasn't Dominique but he wasn't Darius Songaila (first slow ass dude I could think of) out there. He ran the break, he dunked, he could put the ball on the floor, he could go up and get rebounds. This talk about his mystical abilities to just always know where the ball is even though he was so much more unathletic than people makes me kinda nauseous. He definitely had great ball skills but not some surreal ability to just find the ball despite ridiculous limitations. ****, when he was older and a little heftier, and a little injured, he wasn't making a lot of the plays he made when he was younger. Think his mind just forgot those things?

Second, you don't get props for being slower than someone and you don't get slighted because you're blessed with speed and leaping ability. I'm sorry, that sh*t doesn't make sense. Bird's hand-eye coordination wasn't something you can just work on and develop........just like athleticism isn't. I don't hear people saying "Man! Imagine if Stromile Swift had hand-eye coordination!!"

Like someone said, you are given certain tools and it's up to you to maximize them and work on your weaknesses. Like also said, older MJ was not ahead of every other guard in athleticism late in his career. Sh*t, guys like Ronnie Brewer and Sonny Weems and Gerald Green were more athletic than older MJ was -- don't get your panties all in a bunch people, I'm not saying they were better -- but they didn't make it work for them like MJ did. MJ was smart enough to use any tools he had at a given time and find a way to be the best.

I really do think crazy athletes like Dwight Howard and even Lebron in a sense get slighted for being blessed. It's a skill.......hey, natural selection. I'm sure there's some pudgy 5-10 kid out there with amazing basketball instincts and savvy, but if it limits him.........tough. Props shouldn't be given for your weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by dgbigballer9329
    Basically.

First off, everyone knows Bird was great. But I can't even tell you how many times I've heard....."Man, imagine if Larry Bird were athletic?? He was so smart, 3 steps ahead of everyone!!! He was the greatest even though he was slow, yadda yadda yadda"

First off, prime Bird wasn't even that unathletic. He wasn't Dominique but he wasn't Darius Songaila (first slow ass dude I could think of) out there. He ran the break, he dunked, he could put the ball on the floor, he could go up and get rebounds. This talk about his mystical abilities to just always know where the ball is even though he was so much more unathletic than people makes me kinda nauseous. He definitely had great ball skills but not some surreal ability to just find the ball despite ridiculous limitations. ****, when he was older and a little heftier, and a little injured, he wasn't making a lot of the plays he made when he was younger. Think his mind just forgot those things?

Second, you don't get props for being slower than someone and you don't get slighted because you're blessed with speed and leaping ability. I'm sorry, that sh*t doesn't make sense. Bird's hand-eye coordination wasn't something you can just work on and develop........just like athleticism isn't. I don't hear people saying "Man! Imagine if Stromile Swift had hand-eye coordination!!"

Like someone said, you are given certain tools and it's up to you to maximize them and work on your weaknesses. Like also said, older MJ was not ahead of every other guard in athleticism late in his career. Sh*t, guys like Ronnie Brewer and Sonny Weems and Gerald Green were more athletic than older MJ was -- don't get your panties all in a bunch people, I'm not saying they were better -- but they didn't make it work for them like MJ did. MJ was smart enough to use any tools he had at a given time and find a way to be the best.

I really do think crazy athletes like Dwight Howard and even Lebron in a sense get slighted for being blessed. It's a skill.......hey, natural selection. I'm sure there's some pudgy 5-10 kid out there with amazing basketball instincts and savvy, but if it limits him.........tough. Props shouldn't be given for your weaknesses.
    I should delete my post. You said it better than I did.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by dgbigballer9329
    Basically.

People think you need to jump high, lift weights and be black to be athletic. Thats far from the truth.

There are more categories that make you athletic then jumping ability and power.