Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default What's your impression on Ricky Rubio now?

The Gold medal game was the first time I've seen a complete game of him against real competition. The kid is amazing as a 17 year old. The understanding of the game, the poise, the ability to handle against pressure, the defense, all at such a young age. This isn't like Darko where we only read about him coming off the bench against Euro players, we're actually seeing this prospect hold his own against some NBA players. Anyone else convinced?

Default Re: What's your impression on Ricky Rubio now?

Very impressive in the gold medal game. Just the fact that a 17 year old kid can look competetive playing next to CP3, Deron, Kobe, Lebron... it boggles my mind.

rubio, the one who does teh same exact behind the back crossover ever single time that leaves deron and cp3 on the other side of the court?

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

gotta agree with both posts so far. watched 3 games that he played, 2 vs team usa and the kid's got great court vision. pretty good judgement for a 17 year old but it can definitely be improved.

if he develops a consistent nba range three then he has the potential to be the the best 20 year old pg to hit the league. scary to think what he'll be like at 25 going at this rate

NYK's comeback 08-09 worldbefree's Avatar

Not NBA ready and leaving for the NBA too soon will destroy his potential.

Local High School Star mrhoopfan's Avatar

No better than telfair was as a 17 year old

Ich Liebe die Bulls! CelticForce1349's Avatar

It's hard to believe he is just 17 years old. I feel he is a very talented kid with a bright future.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by worldbefree
    Not NBA ready and leaving for the NBA too soon will destroy his potential.
    WTF is that supposed to mean? He just held his own against the ****in best guards in the whole league/world, forced Kidd to the bench, but he is not ready for Steve Blake, Jamal Tinsley and Rafer Alston.

I wouldn

Man w/NBA Inside info NewYorkUSCtrojan's Avatar

he's only 17? bright future ahead of him..i am impressed..

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I posted this a week ago and stand by it. I really like him, and the reaction to his good game for the gold is only slightly less overblown than his mediocre game in pool play.
    His issues remain the same, and I have a fear that they compound in the NBA. But I do love the way he plays.

Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

First, I really like Rubio. I had seen prior to these olympics, as much as I could find on him, and was glad to see he was being given a bigger role than previously expected on the spanish team. He plays what I consider a beautifull game. I've never been enamored with dunks, or even finishes in general, as much as plays to lead to shots so easy that nothing complicated is possible. In fact, if you can squeeze a ball into a spot so tight that nothing but the most basic simple shot possible can be gotten off, that to me is the highlight of highlights.
    Everytime I saw Rubio, the same thing jumped to mind. He had to work on his jumper, and he had to get stronger physically. He's never going to be a plus athlete at the NBA level. But at 6-4, he's got long wings, and he's quicker than he looks, with good defensive instincts, so I figured he'd get by.
    However, the more I watch him, the less I believe he's going to be great. I don't actually think he's going to get enough stronger for it to ever not be an issue. I know he's young, and it's not like he's small, he is 6-4, but he just doesn't have a great frame. He's narrow through the shoulders, and in the hips, and usually guys who are thin when there young, if they have broad shoulders and hips, have the room to fill out. As for the jumpshot, he doesn't even have the foundation that I can project real improvement. Derrick Rose wasn't a great shooter this past year, but it was easy to see why people were able to overlook it because he had such a strong base to build from. Rubio still shows a need to get his shot up over his head from range, which is something I work on with kids at the middle school level.
    Then I start thinking about the comps thrown around about the guy, and the ones I think of. The league built around iso play, which actually minimizes all the things that make Rubio special. It also hurts what he brings to the table defensively. He needs guys to be constantly moving around him, so he can use his gifts to find the seams that only a handfull of people can find. There are only a few players in the league still like that. Jason Kidd is this type of player, but Kidd, while never an elite athlete, is exceptionally strong for a PG, something I'm not sure Rubio will ever be above average in. Kidd could use his strength to force the issue.
    Brent Barry at one time brought a similar wiry build to the game, and probably not the same level of instincts, but he was very natural. He however was a plus shooter and athlete for a while.
    Jason Williams had a game like that, but it only worked when he was still good enough to demand the ball. That sort of thing is what make Rubio something of a boom or bust prospect in my eyes, because if he turns out good enough, his skill set will shine, but he'll have a harder time functioning as a perephery player.
    The guys with bad jumpers who've made it on the wing are a short list too. And most of them are elite level athletes. Guys in that size range that come to mind are Leandro Barbosa, and while Rubio can push tempo, probably not like that, and finishing may be an issue as well.
    The guy who's got a creative type of game like that, minust the jumper, and the plus athleticism ... Jamal Tinsley. That's not exactly the type of guy I'd be dying to put in as a cornerstone. Tinsley is 6-3 by the way, so it's not like the size is that off. Obviously the hope is that Rubio won't completely waste his talents with one of the worst attitudes in the league, and I don't think he's got quite the proclivity to dominate the ball that Tinsley does, but then again he's never played in an iso offense. It's not a total knock, Tinsley at his best was a very good player, and a guy who was great to watch. But under no circumstances did he ever seem like a guy who you take in the top five of a draft. Shaun Livingston also brought some similar stuff to the floor as well, both strengths and weaknesses, but did so at 6-7. Unfortunately he brings little track record to go by, although his slight frame did seem to be a problem, and he was already running into issues with guys playing off him because of his jumper.

So is he overrated. I don't think he's overrated as a basketball player, but I'm beginning to think he's overrated as an NBA prospect. His strengths are simply the exact opposite of what the league focuses on. And his weaknesses are rife for exploitation as well. The two big Ifs about his physical stature and jumper could push him into a different player, but I wouldn't be comfortable enough at this point with either to make me want to take him at three. The league just doesn't go after these types of players like this usually, which makes me wonder if they'll know what to do with him once they get him, and if he'll be thrown under the bus when he can't change the face of a franchised in two years. Every guy drafted in the top five in the past decade was either a big, a decidedly better athlete, or a markedly better shooter, with the exception of Livingston. That seems odd.
    I hope he does well, I really think the style he brings to the game is something that's sorely missing in the league. But I'm afraid of what his failure could mean. Sadly, if he were taken at 14, he'd have a 16 assist night, be considered a steal, his shortcomings would brushed aside, and his jersey would be all over playgrounds everywhere the next summer. At three that won't happen.

National High School Star allball's Avatar

I think he's very good for his age. I just dont agree with the misconception that there are no other 17 year olds his age that could do what he's doing. I also dont agree that with what he's done so far that he's a no. 1 pick in the NBA or even top 5. I unlike some others also think the Euroleague is weak in perimeter players in terms of quickness, athleticism and defensive awareness. with that said he's an intelligent player that lacks some of the physical intangibles that some American 17 year olds have.

In Europe he would be a sure star but in the NBA I think he would have some issues. I also disagree with stuff like this:

"rubio, the one who does teh same exact behind the back crossover ever single time that leaves deron and cp3 on the other side of the court?"

Rubio got by Jason Kidd at least once but CP3 and Deron for the most part stayed in front of him unless they gambled. he has a decent first step but doesnt change direction with his dribble as quickly as a Tyreke Evans or Brandon Jennings.

NBA prediction: at the peak of his career maybe 10 to 12 PPG and maybe 6 to 8 assists depending on what system he plays in.

Not airballing my layups anymore

You have to remember that as a 17 year old he's still growing and maturing. By the time he's done growing, he could be 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier. Not every 17 year old is a freak like LeBron.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Aside from his lack of shooting ability, I was amazed at how good Spain looked when he was on the floor. His statistics may not be that impressive, but when he was playing, Spain seemed to be VERY smooth in their offensive sets.

overrated and will only continue to get overrated. how he is the best prospect for the 2009 draft, i'll never know. he is certainly not that good.

Kid's going to be special. I see him becoming a Kirk Hinrich caliber guard. He needs to get some lift on that jumper though.

1) Work on jumper.

2) Strength training and protein diet.