Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ***UNC Basketball 2011-2012***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D0dOeEPovw

Can't wait for this season!

More hyped for this season that I was for the 09 season.

Default Re: ***UNC Basketball 2011-2012***

Loved the video, but did laugh at the screen-shot of "Is Jackson Simmons the Next UNC Star?" I highly doubt he'll ever be much of a contributor in a UNC uniform, and if he ever is, it won't be until he's a junior or senior. Also not 100% sure why there was several shots of Justin Knox dunking since he graduated, but I digress.

I'm stoked about the season, too. Talent wise this team may be even better than 2009 and 2005 however, I'm not as confident heading into this season as I was either of those, especially not 2009. For whatever reason, I just don't get that "it's a lock" feeling I did after I heard Wayne, Ty, and Danny all finally said they'd be back for the '08-'09 season. The 2011-2012 team should be deeper but that's about it. Don't forget how good we were in '08-'09. Not only did that season coincide with the first of three straight semi-mediocre years of college basketball talent wise (we were the only great team in '08-'09) but we had a lot of experience and virtually no weaknesses.

PG Lawson (before the toe injury) in my opinion was the most valuable and best player in the nation that season not named Blake Griffin. He was certainly the best player in the ACC, best point-guard, and I thought deserved some serious NPOY runner-up consideration. He added a VERY lethal three-point shot to go along with his already unstoppable penetration and ability to finish at the rim for being only 5'11".

SG Ellington was a flat-out killer from three, we already knew that. However, in the tournament he stepped it up another notch and displayed a salty all-around offensive game. He was Final Four MOP (deservedly so) and probably just the 3rd or 4th best player on the team for most of the season.

SF Green was an extremely underrated college basketball player. He could do a little bit of everything on both ends of the floor. He was a versatile scorer and, his deadly three-point shooting, gave us probably the best three-point shooting/scoring back-court in the nation with Ty, Wayne, and Danny.

PF Deon was a great compliment to Hansbrough. You had to love how he stepped up early in the season when Tyler had to miss some games with the foot injury. Ed Davis obviously had a much higher ceiling and more talent, but Deon stuck to his role perfectly, and blended in with the team seamlessly.

C Tyler didn't have as good of a senior season as he did his junior year, but he was still really good. After being humiliated the year prior by Kansas, there was little doubt anyone or anything was going to get in his way of winning a national championship his final year on campus.

That's a starting line-up of JR, JR, SR, SR, SR, all of whom had Final Four experience and, for a good portion of the season prior ('07-'08) were hailed as the best team in the country.

Now, there are some parallels to the '08-'09 and '11-'12 teams, but there are also some major differences that have me a little worried.

1.) For a lot of the 2010-2011 season we weren't considered even a top 10 team, let alone a perhaps the best team in the nation. We struggled early on and didn't particularly look that good. It's no coincidence that Harrison Barnes' emergence coincided with the team's rise to a serious Final Four threat, but the team also spent a lot of last season struggling to find an identity. Hopefully (and fortunately) I think the UNC team we saw from late February on will be more like the one we'll see this upcoming season.

Like I already said, the '07-'08 UNC team spent portions of that season ranked #1 and were a very trendy pick to win it all come tourney time. That entire team returned in '08-'09 and you know the rest.

2.) We still don't know if this UNC team can emerge as a three-point shooting threat. One of the reasons we struggled so much offensively last season is because we were a wildly inconsistent three-point shooting team. Barnes, down the stretch, was really our only reliable three-point threat. Leslie and Kendall had their moments but we were a very unimposing three-point shooting team. You could zone us defensively and take us out of our game.

On the other hand, you couldn't zone the '08-'09 team or we would kill you. Scary thing is, you couldn't really plays man-to-man either, because we'd still hang 90+ on you without breaking much of a sweat.

3.) Are we going to have at least a second consistently viable perimeter scoring threat? Even in the tournament last year when we were peaking, Harrison was the only perimeter player that could consistently get his own shot from anywhere he wanted on the floor. Dexter wasn't an offensive threat, Kendall could be slowed down somewhat by a quicker PG who was willing to defend him physically, and Leslie was only going to try and hurt you from deep. No one not named Harrison Barnes was much of a threat to put the ball on the floor and create their own shot. Kendall did on occasion but, like I said, you could take him out of that by just being physical with him.

The '08-'09 team had three perimeter players that could score from anywhere on the floor, and were willing to do so. On top of being deadly three point shooter, Ty, Wayne, and Danny all three could put the ball on the floor and, either score at the rim, or take a couple of dribbles and drill a mid-range pull-up jumper.

4.) Are we really that much more talented and/or better than Kentucky, Ohio State, and UConn? I'm not sure we are. I do think there is a bit of a gap between us and Ohio State, but not so sure there's a noticeable one between and Kentucky and UConn.

I can't remember of another team that had me feeling even a little worried; at least not to the extent of UConn and Kentucky do about the upcoming season. Yes, come tournament time I started to grow a little wary of UConn and Louisville in '08-'09 but still didn't feel like they were major threats to beat UNC.

Those are my four biggest concerns heading into the season and also why I'm not as confident as I was about the '08-'09 season. Other than that, though, I still feel like we are and should be the favorites. I think Reggie and P.J. will more than make-up for the loss of McDonald, and think we'll see a surprising leap in offensive talent and ability from Strickland. I also think Kendall will be a more complete offensive threat, and you know no one is outworking Barnes in the off-season.

I would love to see this line-up.

PG: Marshall-6ft3
    SG: Barnes- 6ft8
    SF: McAdoo- 6ft9
    PF: Henson-6ft11
    C: Zeller-6ft11

Holy crap that would be an unstoppable line-up. Barnes and McAdoo can both guard the 2 and 3 position respectively,and McAdoo was a 3 in high school and I would love to see him get time in college. Don't expect this at the beginning of the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if Roy gave it a try.

You plan on going to any games KG?

Quote Originally Posted by bballer
    I would love to see this line-up.

PG: Marshall-6ft3
    SG: Barnes- 6ft8
    SF: McAdoo- 6ft9
    PF: Henson-6ft11
    C: Zeller-6ft11

Holy crap that would be an unstoppable line-up. Barnes and McAdoo can both guard the 2 and 3 position respectively,and McAdoo was a 3 in high school and I would love to see him get time in college. Don't expect this at the beginning of the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if Roy gave it a try.

You plan on going to any games KG?

I don't expect McAdoo to be playing any SF unless we're in a ton of foul trouble. Our perimeter rotation already consists of Kendall, Dexter, Barnes, Bullock, and Hairston. It's going to be hard to work a 6th person into that group, and we're going to need McAdoo in the front-court more anyway. A rotation of Henson, Zeller, McAdoo, and Hubert is a very good foursome.

How about what I think could potentially be our best line-up?

PG Marshall (6'3"
    SG Bullock (6'7")
    SF Barnes (6'8")
    PF Henson (6'10")
    C Zeller (7'0")

I love the potential of that line-up. And no, I won't be going to any games. One, I live in Arkansas, but two I can't afford a road-trip up there this year. Me and a couple of other friends from here (who also like UNC) used to make one trip a year up there during basketball season most years. We did that for five or six years but a couple of them got married, another graduated, and growing-up has more or less completely ended that yearly trip.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I don't expect McAdoo to be playing any SF unless we're in a ton of foul trouble. Our perimeter rotation already consists of Kendall, Dexter, Barnes, Bullock, and Hairston. It's going to be hard to work a 6th person into that group, and we're going to need McAdoo in the front-court more anyway. A rotation of Henson, Zeller, McAdoo, and Hubert is a very good foursome.

How about what I think could potentially be our best line-up?

PG Marshall (6'3"
    SG Bullock (6'7")
    SF Barnes (6'8")
    PF Henson (6'10")
    C Zeller (7'0")

I love the potential of that line-up. And no, I won't be going to any games. One, I live in Arkansas, but two I can't afford a road-trip up there this year. Me and a couple of other friends from here (who also like UNC) used to make one trip a year up there during basketball season most years. We did that for five or six years but a couple of them got married, another graduated, and growing-up has more or less completely ended that yearly trip.
    I wasn't saying it would be our best line-up, but I would love to see it. (Played HS bball with McAdoo)

What do you think will happen with PJ? We already have Reggie and Dex. Don't see PJ getting tons of time ahead of reggie or Dex.

Roy has always played a defensive stopper on the team (Jackie Manuel, Marcus Ginyard). They always get significant minutes.

It could come down to who is more consistent from 3. PJ or Reggie. That's what we have been missing the last few years. Ever since Ellington and Green left, we haven't had a consistent 3pt thread.

Hopefully one of them will fill that role.

Quote Originally Posted by bballer
    I wasn't saying it would be our best line-up, but I would love to see it. (Played HS bball with McAdoo)

What do you think will happen with PJ? We already have Reggie and Dex. Don't see PJ getting tons of time ahead of reggie or Dex.

Roy has always played a defensive stopper on the team (Jackie Manuel, Marcus Ginyard). They always get significant minutes.

It could come down to who is more consistent from 3. PJ or Reggie. That's what we have been missing the last few years. Ever since Ellington and Green left, we haven't had a consistent 3pt thread.

Hopefully one of them will fill that role.
    I think it's simple, really. With the loss of McDonald, Reggie will step into his role and get his minutes, and P.J. will step-up into Reggie's role and take his minutes. The two just slide up one spot on the bench, which I actually like, because I think both have ceilings quite a bit higher than McDonald.

Dex will get the majority of the minutes at the two because, like you said, Roy loves having a defensive-stopper and, for whatever reason, it's usually the starting SG. Like Ginyard and Manuel, Dex isn't an outside threat from deep, but those two had shooters flanking them at the other perimeter positions. Right now, we don't know if that's the case with this team. I don't necessarily care, though, because Dex became one of the top 3-5 perimeter lock-down defenders in the nation last year come tourney time.

And I don't have a problem with that line-up, to be honest. I wouldn't mind seeing it toyed with from time to time, I'm just not too sure Roy will do it since the "John Henson at WF" experiment failed miserably two years ago.

IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST Theoo's Daddy's Avatar

How long before the season begins ?.. by the way UK>UNC Next season

Quote Originally Posted by Theoo's Daddy
    How long before the season begins ?.. by the way UK>UNC Next season
    freshman vs experience

mod please delete this spammer in my thread.

so my dad and brother go the opportunity to go to "late night with roy".

I went 2 years ago, but they said it was AWESOME this year.

SO PUMPED FOR THE SEASON!

Go Heels!

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Go Heels!

IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST Theoo's Daddy's Avatar

So you guys are sure of a final 4 spot ???

Quote Originally Posted by Theoo's Daddy
    So you guys are sure of a final 4 spot ???
    baring injuries, yes.