Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Tyson Chandler's career resurgence

The guy was a draft bust 4 years ago and now he's a top 15 center ever?

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    The guy was a draft bust 4 years ago and now he's a top 15 center ever?
    If Tyson Chandler is a top 15 center all time then Noah is a top 5 center all time. Just stop. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Teanett
    i was never arguing that chandler actually is a top 15 center.
    btw, i believe shaq has only 4 nba titles. you're confusing him with kobe.
    Yeah my bad, he only has 4, call it blind wishful thinking that the Celtics pulled off a miracle in the year he was there

based on accomplishments alone, would he be a top 15 all time center?
    That's what drew my comments, especially since I base accomplishments on their on court performance as well. He's had a brilliant three year stretch, and he was a major part in getting the Mavs their first title for sure, but accomplishments are such a wide parameter that I think it's difficult to argue just because he's won titles in different 'competitions' compared to the kind of league dominance some of these guys have secured

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    There is just one problem. Chandler has been an elite player for years. He carried the BOBCATS to the f'ing playoffs in his "career low". That was after CP3 and he led NO to the 2 seed in the West.

If you look at RAPM Chandler has been in or around the top 20 for seven of last 9 years (outside of the two seasons he had his back issues).

Its great he is finally being appreciated but you are missing the fact that he has been standing out for a while now.

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/
    He didn't led the Bobcats...are you serious?He had 6 points and 6 rebounds per game,he was the team's 10-th scorer,in front of him were players like Nazr Mohammed,Flip Murray and Tyrus Thomas.He averaged 22 minutes per game.

That Bobcats team was led by Stephen Jackson,Gerald Wallace and Boris Diaw.Chandler was a non factor.

He was even a bigger non factor in the playoffs.

His cred was at an all time low before the Mavs picked him up.

[QUOTE=CavaliersFTW]Shaq's resume right off of Wiki:

Quote Originally Posted by bigt
    That's what drew my comments, especially since I base accomplishments on their on court performance as well. He's had a brilliant three year stretch, and he was a major part in getting the Mavs their first title for sure, but accomplishments are such a wide parameter that I think it's difficult to argue just because he's won titles in different 'competitions' compared to the kind of league dominance some of these guys have secured
    then maybe i have to word it differently. i mean tangible results, titles.
    chandler isnt nearly as dominant as all of the aforementioned but he's a champion on many levels and now has some individual accolades to boot, which seperates him from the robert horrys and derek fishers.

he was never mvp or even in mvp-consideration or first-team consideration but i wont take that into account because i dont want to take into account that patrick ewing was better because he was closer to being mvp but never won a damn mvp or scoring title either...

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

I gotta give Tyson credit, he grew some balls over the last couple of years, and became a defensive presence. Hopefully he keeps it up. Let's be real though, he's not close to a top 25 center of all time. His first 10 years in the league were pretty insignificant.

then maybe i have to word it differently. i mean tangible results, titles.
    chandler isnt nearly as dominant as all of the aforementioned but he's a champion on many levels and now has some individual accolades to boot, which seperates him from the robert horrys and derek fishers.

he was never mvp or even in mvp-consideration or first-team consideration but i wont take that into account because i dont want to take into account that patrick ewing was better because he was closer to being mvp but never won a damn mvp or scoring title either...
    I guess I'm just trying to pin down what you're actually trying to argue. You acknowledge he isn't nearly as dominant as some of the guys you'd put him ahead of. You won't take into account he wasn't near MVP/NBA All First consideration because Ewing wasn't either (and let's face it, winning a title in his era was brutal since he had to get past Jordan for so many years)

You take out multiplicity because of the Horry/Kerr arguement (something I'd normally agree with) but I think that argument loses value when the guy won Finals MVP during that period it's hard to argue the Horry/Kerr part because it means we wasn't a role player, he was the man.

With all that, all you're left with as you say, the tangibles, things that weren't voted on. You really need to account for the on court numbers for that kind of thing. They weren't voted on like MVP's, DPOY's and All Star selections, they were earned in the heat of battle. And they don't necessarily back him up either.

As I've said, I like Chandler, I really do, but it kind of feels like you're setting up a bunch of loopholes to try and make him appear better than he really is

Chandler's a better pick and roll guy.

He knows when to roll and when to get out of the way of the dribbler. Noah looks clueless compared to Chandler and gets in the way of D Rose.
    Last edited by 9512; 01-25-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kargo
    He didn't led the Bobcats...are you serious?He had 6 points and 6 rebounds per game,he was the team's 10-th scorer,in front of him were players like Nazr Mohammed,Flip Murray and Tyrus Thomas.He averaged 22 minutes per game.

That Bobcats team was led by Stephen Jackson,Gerald Wallace and Boris Diaw.Chandler was a non factor.

He was even a bigger non factor in the playoffs.

His cred was at an all time low before the Mavs picked him up.
    Thank you.

Chandler was a dog that year. Then his contract was up and he was on a contender and suddenly he was being mentioned as an elite defensive center.

Hmm.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Possibly the most overrated player in the league. The DPOY he was awarded last year was a complete joke. He is not a real defensive anchor. His effect is more of a Horace Grant and Charles Oakley defensively. Even with a screwed up back Dwight was far more dominant defensively last season and was still the the most impactful defensive player in the league. At least the coaches got something right for once when they named Dwight to the all defensive first team over him.

For those who are so sore on Howard then someone like Kevin Garnett was far more deserving of the DPOY too.

Love the 2nd team all defense nod despite winning dpoy that year, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Possibly the most overrated player in the league. The DPOY he was awarded last year was a complete joke. He is not a real defensive anchor. His effect is more of a Horace Grant and Charles Oakley defensively. Even with a screwed up back Dwight was far more dominant defensively last season and was still the the most impactful defensive player in the league. At least the coaches got something right for once when they named Dwight to the all defensive first team over him.

For those who are so sore on Howard then someone like Kevin Garnett was far more deserving of the DPOY too.

More ignorant talk from someone who thinks he knows what he's talking about.

First of all, Charles Oakley is one of the best defensive players of all-time so stop talking. Second, Grant was an elite defensive player.

Third, Chandler is most obviously a center and he is an anchor. Say what you want, but that's what his defense is. He's the guy in the middle who everyone moves around. He literally holds down the defensive shape and the rotations happen around him. That makes him an anchor, you idiot.

He's a great defender. You can find him overrated and that's fine. But talking as if he's barely above average is stupid. Then again, you try to defend Ray Allen's defense and accuse Bryant of "over pressuring" and getting blown by. You're literally pulling shit from your ass. Shutup.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Kargo
    Tyson's career hit a low in the 2009/10 season playing for the Bobcats,after being disposed of by New Orleans,he was deemed a past his prime,injury prone waste of talent.

Then he gets a miracle pick up by the Mavs and from then on he has done or being a part of the following things:

2010 World Champion
    2011 NBA Champion
    2012 Olympic Champion
    2012 Defensive Player Of The Year
    2011/12 All NBA Second Defensive Team
    2012 All NBA Third Team
    2013 NBA All Star

Those are incredible accomplishments for a whole career let alone a 3 season period.A very inspiring comeback.
    Yes indeed. The Mavs thing rejuvenated him. All hail Gawdirk.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    More ignorant talk from someone who thinks he knows what he's talking about.

First of all, Charles Oakley is one of the best defensive players of all-time so stop talking. Second, Grant was an elite defensive player.

Third, Chandler is most obviously a center and he is an anchor. Say what you want, but that's what his defense is. He's the guy in the middle who everyone moves around. He literally holds down the defensive shape and the rotations happen around him. That makes him an anchor, you idiot.

He's a great defender. You can find him overrated and that's fine. But talking as if he's barely above average is stupid. Then again, you try to defend Ray Allen's defense and accuse Bryant of "over pressuring" and getting blown by. You're literally pulling shit from your ass. Shutup.
    I'm pulling shit out of my ass? I saw you compare Chandler to Ewing defensively and actually laughed out loud. What kind of god damn absurd talk is that? The point of mentioning Grant Oakley is that while very good defensive players neither were anchors for their team. His impact is a lot more akin to them than the guy who was anchoring the Knicks teams with Oakley...Patrick Ewing. In conclusion, you shut the **** up.