Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
Ken_Masters
Good High School Starter

Default How Kevin Durant Can Win MVP

I'm not talking about titles here. I know that in order for him to win titles he should continue playing the unselfish brand of ball that he is known for. However, in order to win MVP it's obvious that he needs to shoot the ball more. Maybe he doesn't care about MVPs, but all of the truly great players have at least one MVP on their belt. According to BBall Reference this past season he averaged 17.7 field goal attempts per game and only 19 for his career. LeBron, who everyone considers a very unselfish player, averages more field goal attempts per game over his career than Durant does (Lebron has a career average of 20 fga per game). Durant will never have the overall game that LeBron has, so in order to elevate himself in the eyes of voters, he needs to forget about his efficiency and let the ball fly. He needs to average 32-35 points per game in order to get the award. Without Kevin Martin or James Harden on the roster, what reason is there for him not to take the extra shots? If he doesn't, Westbrook will. Durant has no chance to win MVP over LeBron while he averages 28 points per game. This is all just my opinion of course. Please feel free to chime in with your own opinions of how Durant can snatch the award away from James.
Ken_Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
pauk
NBA Legend

Default Re: How Kevin Durant Can Win MVP

Its not the numbers thats the problem when talking about MVP, it never was....

MVP is about being one of the top players in the NBA who elevated his team to the greatest success during regular season.... its about impact, its about winning.... if your productions/talent/skills/intangibles dont translate to the most success compared to other candidates then you simply aint the guy to win MVP....

What Durant needs to do is have the best team record in the NBA and outperform other MVP candidates & win those matchups, especially against Lebron/Miami.... preferably dont let Westbrook ever outshine him either..... Durant has been doing good, but its just that damn Lebron guy.....

Last edited by pauk : 09-18-2013 at 03:36 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
nightprowler10
Hold the door

Break LeBron's legs.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Suguru101
Annabele Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Masters
I'm not talking about titles here. I know that in order for him to win titles he should continue playing the unselfish brand of ball that he is known for. However, in order to win MVP it's obvious that he needs to shoot the ball more. Maybe he doesn't care about MVPs, but all of the truly great players have at least one MVP on their belt.

According to BBall Reference this past season he averaged 17.7 field goal attempts per game and only 19 for his career. LeBron, who everyone considers a very unselfish player, averages more field goal attempts per game over his career than Durant does (Lebron has a career average of 20 fga per game). Durant will never have the overall game that LeBron has, so in order to elevate himself in the eyes of voters, he needs to forget about his efficiency and let the ball fly. He needs to average 32-35 points per game in order to get the award. Without Kevin Martin or James Harden on the roster, what reason is there for him not to take the extra shots? If he doesn't, Westbrook will.

Durant has no chance to win MVP over LeBron while he averages 28 points per game. This is all just my opinion of course. Please feel free to chime in with your own opinions of how Durant can snatch the award away from James.

Please, leave spaces....
Suguru101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
CavaliersFTW
NBA Legend

If Durant abused PED's and was a typical classless 'bad guy' he'd probably have a few MVP's already. His only problem is he plays the game of basketball fair and only uses his natural talents and hard work (which otherwise would be enough to win an MVP if others in the league didn't cheat, take short cuts, and abuse banned substances). Since he doesn't get involved in scandals like PED's or collusion like some players have, I'm not sure he'll ever have a fair shot at MVP.

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 09-18-2013 at 04:51 PM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
KG215
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Masters
I'm not talking about titles here. I know that in order for him to win titles he should continue playing the unselfish brand of ball that he is known for. However, in order to win MVP it's obvious that he needs to shoot the ball more. Maybe he doesn't care about MVPs, but all of the truly great players have at least one MVP on their belt. According to BBall Reference this past season he averaged 17.7 field goal attempts per game and only 19 for his career. LeBron, who everyone considers a very unselfish player, averages more field goal attempts per game over his career than Durant does (Lebron has a career average of 20 fga per game).
Durant has also spent most of his career with another high usage/volume scorer on his team in Westbrook. If he never had Westbrook, I'm sure his career FGA/game would be up around 20, too, and LeBron's wouldn't be that high if he had someone at or close to Westbrook's level when he was in Cleveland.

Quote:
Durant will never have the overall game that LeBron has, so in order to elevate himself in the eyes of voters, he needs to forget about his efficiency and let the ball fly. He needs to average 32-35 points per game in order to get the award. Without Kevin Martin or James Harden on the roster, what reason is there for him not to take the extra shots? If he doesn't, Westbrook will. Durant has no chance to win MVP over LeBron while he averages 28 points per game. This is all just my opinion of course. Please feel free to chime in with your own opinions of how Durant can snatch the award away from James.
I don't think he needs to average 32-35 PPG (although I do think he's capable of averaging around 32 PPG if he was more selfish). But I sort of agree with the rest of this. He's not going to put up a LeBron-esque 27-8-7 stat-line, so maybe doing something like 30-8-5 instead of the 28-8-5 he averaged last year, with another 50/40/90 season on a team with the best or second best record in the NBA might do it.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
KG215
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Its not the numbers thats the problem when talking about MVP, it never was....

MVP is about being one of the top players in the NBA who elevated his team to the greatest success during regular season.... its about impact, its about winning.... if your productions/talent/skills/intangibles dont translate to the most success compared to other candidates then you simply aint the guy to win MVP....
Which Durant has essentially done in the regualr season the last two years. Problem is one of the 5-10 best players ever (and probably a player with a top 5-7 peak) has been at his peak at the same time.

Quote:
What Durant needs to do is have the best team record in the NBA and outperform other MVP candidates & win those matchups, especially against Lebron/Miami.... preferably dont let Westbrook ever outshine him either..... Durant has been doing good, but its just that damn Lebron guy.....
I agree that he'd probably need to lead OKC to the best record, but let's not sit here and act like he has to outperform Westbrook every night and never let him outshine him. There's been times throughout the last three seasons where Wade has "outshone" LeBron during the regular season. Westbrook is a damn good player, but he's not on Durant's level so he's not ever going to regularly outshine KD, but it will happen. It happened for a 2-3 week stretch last year during March. Probably not every game in that 2-3 week stretch, but I thought Russ was our best player more often than Durant, but that's not what hurt Durant's MVP candidacy. It started with the home blowout loss to the Heat right before the All-Star Break, and continued with LeBron's six or seven game stretch of 60%+ shooting on 30+ PPG, and Miami's 27-game win streak.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightprowler10
Break LeBron's legs.

Damn, did you seriously just go there...

Right before I could?
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
pauk
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Which Durant has essentially done in the regualr season the last two years. Problem is one of the 5-10 best players ever (and probably a player with a top 5-7 peak) has been at his peak at the same time.

Exactly, thats why he was a runner up so many times, where as one time it got extremly close. He just needs that extra umph i guess, even if its microscopical...

Quote:
I agree that he'd probably need to lead OKC to the best record, but let's not sit here and act like he has to outperform Westbrook every night and never let him outshine him. There's been times throughout the last three seasons where Wade has "outshone" LeBron during the regular season. Westbrook is a damn good player, but he's not on Durant's level so he's not ever going to regularly outshine KD, but it will happen. It happened for a 2-3 week stretch last year during March. Probably not every game in that 2-3 week stretch, but I thought Russ was our best player more often than Durant, but that's not what hurt Durant's MVP candidacy. It started with the home blowout loss to the Heat right before the All-Star Break, and continued with LeBron's six or seven game stretch of 60%+ shooting on 30+ PPG, and Miami's 27-game win streak.

True, but Westbrook has been kindof holding Durant back just as Wade held Lebron back when Rose won the MVP... since then Wade has decreased and/or played injured/missed games while Lebron has been playing only better and has taken upon even more responsibilites on both ends of the court, he does literally everything for Miami, fills in and leads them in essentially any category and role, he is their best PG-SG-SF-PF and hey even C occasionally and at an elite level even guards those guys if needed..... so its just more than just about stats, Westbrook even though he produces less than Durant has a massive offensive responsibility, perhaps some would argue even bigger than Durants as a floor general/orchestrator.... What Westbrook does & is the best at in his team is what Lebron does & is best at in his team, what Durant does is what Lebron does.... what Ibaka does is what Lebron does... you name it....

But Durant is just amazing at what he does, it kindof substitutes for the lesser responsibilities he has/is capable of compared to Lebron, well, to a certain degree.... Durant will definitely win at least one MVP lol, he is still close to it every season, he could win it anytime soon... he just needs to do what he does imo... but again, that Lebron guy is a partypooper...

Last edited by pauk : 09-18-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

If he is #1 in the West, I think he will be all but guaranteed a MVP. I think they will let someone else have it, even if Lebron is the best in the league. He puts up stats good enough to warrant a MVP.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
SamuraiSWISH
For the Culture

Improve his defense, make up for the loss of Harden, improve as a play maker. Score more buckets, and less on soft ass free-throws. Don't get shook when people body up on you physically, taking him out of his game. And then, he's going to be true MVP caliber. That player could lead his team over the Heat. Also pray Westbrook returns the same physically from his injury.
SamuraiSWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
All Net

It's the wins is what will decide it..his numbers will be amazing.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
KG215
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
Improve his defense, make up for the loss of Harden, improve as a play maker. Score more buckets, and less on soft ass free-throws. Don't get shook when people body up on you physically, taking him out of his game. And then, he's going to be true MVP caliber. That player could lead his team over the Heat. Also pray Westbrook returns the same physically from his injury.
A lot of those things you listed have almost zero effect on an MVP candidacy. You think voters are watching every game and seeing if and how he gets his FT's and knocking him for that? No, at the end of the season they see he averaged 28 PPG on whatever efficiency. He's been a true MVP caliber player the last two years, he's just had the misfortune of that coming at the same time as LeBron being at his peak.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
pauk
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH

I think Westbrook not being himself and/or misses games could increase Durants MVP chances dramatically, i mean he will have to do more in order for them to win and if he gets the best team record or even one of those top 2-3 team records that way he would have showed even more MVP worth than any other time.... and his stats sure will increase... will be tough not giving him the MVP there, unless Lebron (or someone else?) could top that...
Old 09-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
SamuraiSWISH
For the Culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
A lot of those things you listed have almost zero effect on an MVP candidacy. You think voters are watching every game
I actually watch the games. These are reasons why Durant is clear notch below LeBron, still.
SamuraiSWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: